Redneck Trailer Hitch OTD

Braaaptor

Dec 1, 2009
Hamlet, NC
This was too good not to share. For those who don't know, I work at a lawmower repair shop as a small engine tech. Well, today we had a customer come in to pick up a tiller which had been repaired. I figured he'd be driving a truck or SUV towing a trailer. Nope!

Instead, here's what showed up to claim the tiller!

IMG_20140207_115013113_zpsqjckywng.jpg
IMG_20140207_115047564_zpsvm1zafe7.jpg

Yes, that's a Toyota Corolla, and yes the trailer is actually so big that the car could be hauled home upon it by another vehicle. When I asked the guy how exactly he mounted the hitch to the car, he replied that he didn't! He simply took a regular Reese hitch, cut off one of the legs, threw it in the trunk, and proceeded to take a Sawzall to the rear bumper to make a hole for the reciever. Then he stuck the reciever through the hole, hitched up, and took off. Nothing is bolted or wired up...the only thing holding the hitch in place is the rear bumper assembly of the car! The guy has been to Maryland and back with this rig a few days ago, carring back with him to NC a kiln (of all things...for those who don't know a kiln is a heavy pottery-baking oven) on the trailer. I guess if the trailer didn't fall off then its not going to, but wow. Just wow.

Now I've seen it all.

And you want to know the really scary part? This dude works for the goverment. Yes, really. Department of Defense.

BTW, Awk, I like the new layout and ease of uploading pics. Looks good!

Hey that guy lives next door to me ! At least he used to... until he went to stop, the trailer broke loose and a kild killed him:p

And you want to know the really scary part? This dude works for the goverment. Yes, really. Department of Defense.

i see a trend,
receive a goverment paycheck = cheap out, hack up, and jury rig everything possible :)

as crazy as this is, i would have mentioned the use of safety chains. you have to help these goverment folks out. but you have to realize there will an issue if you let him take on this task unsupervised.

the next picture you post will be chain or rope ran through the rim spokes.

Wow, just wow!!! I would love to see a pic of the trunk. I can't imagine how it is to stop, especially at hard braking.

That is crazy and dangerous. I seen a guy get a bunch of free plywood from a job about 15 sheets took it home on top of his ford Taurus. No ropes, nailed the first sheet to the car and put a couple nails in each sheet as he piled em on. I've hauled 4 couches in my truck and that was a funny sight but safe had 2 on my ladder rack 2 in the bed