rear shock help?

2OO1blaster

Nov 7, 2010
NY
hi yea im having sum problems with my rear shocks well not really problems just it is very bouncy easily compressed and easily bottomed out off small jumps any imput is good imput as always thanks guys

yea im considering a 400ex shock but question cud i just throw that in there or wud i have to modify?

there are many threads on the 400ex shock swap. just search. and i think your rear shock is toast. get another stock one if thats all you need. but i would recommend an upgrade. the 250r shock is nice also. lots of travel.

just look on ebay. i got my 250r shock for 9.99 plus shipping. it has to be an 86+ atc/trx 250r shock tho. and it requires no bushings, but it is an older shock. used stock ones are usually pretty cheap for any model. unless its a 450.

If stock is acceptable I have one you can get really really cheap. Like $5 and pay the shipping.

I can tell you though, the 400EX shock is a serious upgrade and worth the dough. Mine ran me about $38 for all of it.

hmmm ill see how much i get payed this week and ill let you no if i want it ok sicivicdude but i cant seem to find a thread about the 400ex shock its just everyone saying how they put one in and novis id rather not by one from that long ago but maybe for the right price but thank for you info and imput

Well the beauty of a 400 EX shock (or a 250R shock same manufacturer) is that they are rebuildable. Phragle put a thread in the do it yourself section about rebuilding them. I lobbied to have it stickied as it's VERY informative. Most of the time failing shocks are either fluid that's lost it's viscosity or a shock that's low on oil.

Both problems are solved by pulling the shock apart and refilling and recharging with nitrogen.

They are a worthwhile investment.

Reactions: B-1
from my research, the cost vs. benifit points in the direction of geting a 400 ex shock, if you dont have enough cash just lay off the jumps for a while and then get it.

I picked up a 400ex shock off craigslist yesterday for $20. Also ordered the bushings and bolt from ken oconnor racing for $25. Can wait for the bushing kit to arrive so I can swap out my stocker.

from my research, the cost vs. benifit points in the direction of geting a 400 ex shock, if you dont have enough cash just lay off the jumps for a while and then get it.

i think this is wut i will do i am getting my paycheck tomarrow soo ill see what i can do

Well the beauty of a 400 EX shock (or a 250R shock same manufacturer) is that they are rebuildable. Phragle put a thread in the do it yourself section about rebuilding them. I lobbied to have it stickied as it's VERY informative. Most of the time failing shocks are either fluid that's lost it's viscosity or a shock that's low on oil.

Both problems are solved by pulling the shock apart and refilling and recharging with nitrogen.

They are a worthwhile investment.

yea i am going to just save and buy either one of those two shocks and ps both need bushings and stuff? or just the 400ex?