Project: 01 Blaster

Mschramm08

Jul 1, 2012
Hey y'all

I've got a Blaster that needs a little TLC that I picked up in a trade. I want to re-paint the frame and was wondering what type/brand of paint is best...I'm not looking for perfection on this bike so a decent mid-grade paint should do.

Thanks,
Michael

i've used the dupli-color metal spec from advanced auto before with decent results, preperation is the key to a good, long lasting paint job < if there is such a thing, LOL

this last time i used auto paint from a spray gun, my paint supplier told me the thicker you make it, the easier it chips ?
i did 1 coat of primer, 1 coat of paint, and 2 coats of clear,
seems to be holding up better than the umpteen million coats i did the first round

I get duplicolor from autozone, or there auto paint.

I use 2 to 3 coats of primer and 2 to 3 coats of paint. then 4 coats of laquer clear coat.

It does well for me.

The secret is, as few coats as possible to achieve the finished result.

There is no advantage by adding another colour coat , if the last one has covered.

2 coats of clear is ample.

Leave ample time for the paint to dry between all coats of paint, unless you are using the wet on wet technique.

It is important to completely rub back all coats of paint with 800 grit wet and dry paper to give a key for the next coat to adhere to.

I've got base clear on Mine (out of a gun) 3 coats of paint 3 of clear (pops has been painting for 35 years) and its held out good
IMG_2082.jpg