Not sure on what atv to buy?

1995blaster

Jul 30, 2009
Well tomorrow someone is coming over to look at my blasters to buy them. Well if he purchases them I will have $1650 including what I already have. I would like to buy a bigger 4 stroke atv(please no hating comments or replies) and I'm not sure on what to get. I realize that I would have to save up like $500 or so to be in the ball park of the cheaper good deals. A yfz450 us my favorite looking 450 and I can fond everywhere for $2500 Obo, but people say they are unreliable and slow. Most have recommended the trx450r but they are not as common and cost more. Another one peope have recommended is the ltr450, but they are really expensive and super uncommon on craigist.

I know it basically comes down to what I can afford but what I'm saying is should I wait and save.
I trail ride mainly, lots of mud rocks, hill climbs, an I do more stiff like gravel roads and fields. I want something that will be a good all over bike and dependable.

What would you guys recommend? I could get a yfz soon and really love the look of them, but lots of people say there unreliable.

a good ol 400ex might suit you well. They seem to pop up every now and again on craigslist for around $1600

They are like 30hp, if I wanted that I would of worked over the blaster.

Also for that price I would rather get a ltz or z400 they are the better 400's imo

Dude yfzs are reliable with the right matience an there far from slow bud...i rode a carbed yfz450 an that thing was nasty so the fuel injected are probally going to run better..best looking 450 imo

How about a rappy?? All models have there weaknesses, just all depends on how it taken care of. I've had a 08 250 since new not one issue, still on stock bore and piston!

When ya get a 4 stroke, learn how to adjust the valves properly, easy to do once your shown, and will help to keep it running top notch! Of course the regular maintenance, oil & filter changes regularly, carb cleanings, air filter cleanings, new plug every year, if it has a rad, keep the coolant changed too! It will last a long time!

Think if you hurry and spend say 1800 now, just cause you want something, if you save for another few months you could have something even better! JMO!

I would go with the Raptor 660 if you want a build-able bike like the Blaster. A stock yfz450 might be faster to a stock raptor 660 but once you do some simple upgrades (intake and exhaust) the 660 will own a 450. You can do way more to the raptor than the yfz. Also if your thinking of a raptor the 350 has no comparison to the 660. 350 feels like a kids toy!

ya i also heard about the weak tranny's in the rappy. I would probably get one becuase they are really cheap around me, but i just hate the look. And i have rode a rappy 350 ya they r deff slower then the blaster or atleast feel like it. But i did like the size and comfort and all.

And the mods i would do, would be like a slip on pipe nerfs hand guards filter bumper. The basic bolt ons for look and sound.

Banshee imo isnt the trail bike im looking for also i would like a atv.

And trust me i would love to keep my orange one. I could never build another one like it, but i cant afford a new bike without selling the one i got.

I too have heard about the 01 trans on the 660 having problem. However I own a 01 and I havnt had a single problem with the trans. It depends on how well you take care of your bike. Sure the 02+ are updaed designs but I wouldnt shy away from a a good del on a 01. Also if you considering a 660 dont fool around with a slip on. You can find a full system on raptorforum.com for just as much as you can buy a slip on.

Raptors are a good bet and are getting cheaper used as the years go by. Just remember, the 660's have two carburetors so there's more that can go wrong. Also, people tend to ride them hard and its not always easy to find an older Raptor on CL thats still in good shape.

Having personally owned a TRX 450r, I would recommend it. Mine was a 2004 (first year) model. The 2004 and 2005 models were exactly the same. Kick-only start. 2006 + models got a slightly redesigned engine with a higher comp ratio, more aggressive cam, and electric start. The chassis stayed the same.

Anyhow, a piped and jetted 450r is plenty fast for the trails and handles very well. They all come with rezzie shocks. I love the kick-only start on the '04 and '05 models. Easy to use and no battery worries. The single overhead cam engine (4-valve head) is extremely reliable and just wont break if taken care of. HOWEVER, YOU MUST ALWAYS CHECK YOUR OIL LEVEL!! The 450r's use a wet-sump oiling system (no extra oil tank), but the crankcase holds less than 1qt when full. If you lose much oil, you're gonna destroy the engine. Be warned.

Id get another 450r if I found a good deal. I took my old one to Busco last year as a spare bike, and I had a hard time getting other ATV riders I let use it to give it back. :D You can find a 2004 or 2005 model on CL in good shape for $ 2,500.00 or less if you do a little looking.

Thank you, and yes guys i do still love 2 strokes its just that i want a lil change. And 4 strokes may not excite you but i thought they were really fun on my first trail ride with one. But who knows it may get boring quick and i sell back to a blaster.

I like to learn the hard way(as some of you have realized).

I probably will look into a 450r if they arent extremely out of my budget when it comes time.

Thanks for the info on the trx450r, i knew they switched to a kicker some year.

My cousin/friend/riding buddy has a trx he has had a total of 2 problems with it. He keeps having chains break and the started gear went out, and supposedly the whole kicker set up is a btch to find since it is wanted so much?????????????

thanks.