Newb. Pleasant Grove, AL

skillet

Hey whats up guys? New guy from Pleasant Grove, AL. I'm picking up my ride this weekend (Hopefully, taxes permitting) and shes a 1998 Yamaha Blaster (DUH!) But shes kinda been beaten, rode hard, yada yada.. rear brakes removed and such. Stock for the most part, owner says shes got a "Big Bore Kit" but I'm not sure.. hell, I'm buying ti anyways, its pretty stock, and I'm takin her home for $600..

As soon as I have taxes and the bike, I'm ordering Douglas .190 10x5 Front, and 10x8 Rear Matched with Maxxis Razr MX 20x6 Front and 18x11x10 rear. I need some opinions on the rear. I'd like to go with the 10" wheel in the back but for a shorter tire, it seems if im sacrificing the front size to match the rear... maybe its my imagination, but it will more than likely benefit for the best in handling department.

Where i live in my neighborhood we have some flat-hard packed trails so I want that GNCC/ Race style setup.

Any sugestions, just let me know. I'll post ride pics ASAP.

I:I

Erickson

Last edited:
can you guys give me recommendations on oil/tune up procedures for it? I want to kinda give it a good "once over" before I really ride it. I plan to go around the block a few times after I get it, and remove the plastics and clean it up nice, and give it a nice tune up so I "hopefuly" wont have any worries

can you guys give me recommendations on oil/tune up procedures for it? I want to kinda give it a good "once over" before I really ride it. I plan to go around the block a few times after I get it, and remove the plastics and clean it up nice, and give it a nice tune up so I "hopefuly" wont have any worries

id change the oil in it.. "i use belray gearsaver" and id premix the gas instead of using oil injection system.. "i use klotz" injections are known to fail causing motor to get no oil.. use a new b8es plug. thats about it..

id change the oil in it.. "i use belray gearsaver" and id premix the gas instead of using oil injection system.. "i use klotz" injections are known to fail causing motor to get no oil.. use a new b8es plug. thats about it..

I appreciate it. So heres whet I got so far on my "Safe Measures"

Belray Gear Saver? What are your thoughts about Redline or Amsoil?

Spark Plug
Redline 2-Stroke Oil
K&N Filter
T.M. Designworks Oil Injection Block-Off Kit
Pro Design Teather Kill Switch

Whats the point of the E-Brake Block off? I guess i may seem over board and getting into mods, but this thing needs lovin and I just want to be safe with brakes and everything so its just off of my mind. i'm getting a rather large tax return so Ive got the money to spend. Can you elaborate on said plug?

You may notice I'm trying to follow ATV Scene's Blaster Build.

Last edited:
OK, First if its stock and beat up I would not give them $600. talk it down more. not alot more maybe just $100 or so more. Just get it for as low as you can go.

Also, when you get it I would make sure to:
Clean the carb really well, soak it in the carb clean all night!!!
Change the gear oil. I also use belray gear saver
Get Oil block off kit. Vitos makes on also and premix 32:1, i use maxima castro 927
Make sure all cables are in good condition.

Also All the brakes on 98 blasters are cable brakes. Rear uses a "disk" set up ann front used a drum set up.

K&N filters are good. I am running one and I think d.jackson_12 (another member on here/my brother) is selling a K&N with an outerwears pre filter for $35 shipped. Save you about $30.00 overall

Thats about it...Just make sure that your bike is nice and tuned up and have fun riding!

BTW Welcome to the forum

I appreciate it. So heres whet I got so far on my "Safe Measures"

Belray Gear Saver? What are your thoughts about Redline or Amsoil?

Spark Plug
Redline Brake Fluid
Redline 2-Stroke Oil
K&N Filter
T.M. Designworks Oil Injection Block-Off Kit
Front/Rear Pads
Front/Rear Rotors
Pro Design Teather Kill Switch

Whats the point of the E-Brake Block off? I guess i may seem over board and getting into mods, but this thing needs lovin and I just want to be safe with brakes and everything so its just off of my mind. i'm getting a rather large tax return so Ive got the money to spend. Can you elaborate on said plug?

You may notice I'm trying to follow ATV Scene's Blaster Build.

that t.m kit may be costly compared to vito's
plug is ngk b8es..
other then that everything looks good..
you may want to up the sprocket in the frony for some more top speed

ahhh. no disc.. is there a disc conversion? its really not beat up, the plastic is still very good condition, and the seat isnt torn. tis the two tone black and blue. says starts on the first 3 kicks. we'll find out tuesday. if anything on that bike is warm when he starts it, that will blow the sale.. i want it completely cold and i told him that.

that t.m kit may be costly compared to vito's
plug is ngk b8es..
other then that everything looks good..
you may want to up the sprocket in the frony for some more top speed

theres some wide open space, but not much on the trails out here which is where I'll be. could I go larger in the back and smaller in the front for the low end? or would you still say up the front?

theres some wide open space, but not much on the trails out here which is where I'll be. could I go larger in the back and smaller in the front for the low end? or would you still say up the front?

lift it in the air in the back and try to move the axle up and down and see if those bearings are good..
pull the front tires in and out to see if those are tight as well..

i check so much stuff.lol
bearings all, compression 120 + is good, plug color, sprockets front and rear, chain, air filter condition, oil level, if its prewarmed. the list goes on

yea I would make sure that it is cold when you fist get there to make sure that it is good to start cold. although i have heard of most blasters having trouble starting warm. Just make sure you check the bike really good before you buy.

thanks guys, you've helped alot and hopefully this list grows. How did the wheel/tire selection sound? How can i tell if it has a Big Bore kit? God i hope it doesnt. if t\so, I know I'll ride it thru the summer, and go for a full tear down on the bike and rebuild it over the winter months.

and yes there is a conversion for the hydros. search ebay or projectblaster.com has them. best bet would be to wait for somebody parting out an 03-up blaster and get the hydros from them.