New ride

Status
Not open for further replies.
She was pretty well beat.... luckily it's found its way into safer harbors now....

and pay retail?!?! you've bumped your head. Argon and filler rods cheap, carriers from Zuki are pricey!

I just got back inside from filling the last bit of the undercut area. Unfortunately, I'm going to the in-laws in Kentucky for the long weekend so no progress will get made on any of the projects I have laying around. 8-|

lol, I know thats not your way, just saying IF thats what it ever came down to!

just a side note..............
i had 2 rear carriers break at that same type of "snap ring notch" on my sons old lakota,
seems every time the brakes are applied, that snap ring moves slightly, and eventually wears thru the aluminum carrier, after welding the second one back on, i scrapped the whole thing, welded my own bracket onto the steel of the swinger and applied a gsxr caliper to it
worked much better, never to concern me again

Interesting thought. May have to keep that one stored away back there in the back somewhere. It may actually come to that but I hope not...

The torque arm that links the caliper to the swingarm is designed to prevent that. You shouldn't have that problem once you have everything setup(look in my sig pic, that blue bar on the swinger going to the caliper)

hey man nice looking project so far! definitely keeping my eye on this one, can't wait to see it finished! by the way, i seen you are coming to kentucky to your in-laws... what part of kentucky are you going to?

The torque arm that links the caliper to the swingarm is designed to prevent that. You shouldn't have that problem once you have everything setup(look in my sig pic, that blue bar on the swinger going to the caliper)

This one had the mounting tab for that torque arm tweaked, the torque arm is missing, and the rotor has been taken off. I figure someone bent the rotor and it tried to twist the caliper against the best wishes of the torque arm. That probably tried to twist the mounting plate that the caliper is bolted to breaking the snap ring groove.

hey man nice looking project so far! definitely keeping my eye on this one, can't wait to see it finished! by the way, i seen you are coming to kentucky to your in-laws... what part of kentucky are you going to?

We're coming to Burgin. About 35 minutes south of Lexington. Heard of it?

the lakota had that too, and i went to great lengths to make sure it was tighter than a nuns.......
same results, snap ring cut thru, was really what civic stated, an emergency back up plan

Thats strange, seems like something else had to be off too, or it got damaged somehow. I know all of my parts were original 87 and i had no such issues

It's possible running no skid plate and finding a large rock or something could bend the rotor. From then on, even a TINY bend would mean it would be tugging and rocking forever which would eventually ruin things like snap ring grooves in aluminum carrier housings.

Well, just a little update. Not much has happened to it since I spent several days in Kentucky.... I did however make a trade with Strokedtater244 for a brake stay, carrier bolts, an adjuster plate, and rear brake pedal.

I also bought 1.5 case sets from him all of which need some attention or another. Look for an update to the "case repair" thread soon featuring 'zuke blue.

On a funny note, Twostroker99 came over to the house this evening to do a little blasty work and asked where it was. The frame is sitting out behind the shop stripped and the rest of the parts are scattered all around the shop, a little here and a little there. I asked him "don't you know an LT250 when you see one!?" and he said "heck, it looks like it could be any brand of quad from the parts pile!"

I reassured him it was in fact an LT250R and pointed to the stamp "suzuki" on the stator cover... he finally had a reassured look on his face.... a lot like this :eek:!

any new updates?

suzuki ftw...

Of course! I bought the parts from Tater; a brake stay, brake pedal, shifter, carrier bolts, and adjuster plate.

I also removed the shock, cantilever, and cantilever arm and dunked the swingarm in the parts washer. It took me two nights to get it back down to aluminum and it's still not spotless clean... I welded up several spots where the chain had been getting friendly with the swingarm and slid the carrier back in to check fitment and make sure I hadn't screwed anything up by welding on it. Everything fit back like a glove but now I need to get the burrs out and clean the carrier assembly welds up.

I'm going to be measuring out the stock ride height and front suspension for calculations before stripping the front suspension and going in for a little surgery on the frame. The skid plate has to be ground off and the lower left a-arm mount has to be removed, the tubing behind it replaced, and the mount rewelded on in the correct place. Like I said, the frame needs a little TLC but I'll be getting on around to it here soon.

One very basic update, I bought some Douglas aluminum wheels in 4x166 stock offset to replace those bent, beaten, and broken wheels that were on there.

Looking good SI, I've always been interested in these and have thought multiple times of trying to search one down for my next rebuild. Alot of good info floating around in here thus far and am tuned in to see how yours turns out ... so keep up the good work and pics

Status
Not open for further replies.