Jetting

BlastinDesert

Aug 4, 2024
Just looking at what yall think my jetting should be. Full toomey exhaust, air lid has been modified. Just cleaned up a very dirty blaster. Did a carb rebuild so right now it has a 230 main and 32.5 pilot. Finally took it for a quick like 5min rip and it runs great and started first kick and idled fine. Only problem is the last like 30% of throttle or so it wants to bog. I have new fuel lines, filter, fresh belray gear saver trans oil, new petcock. So was just wondering what I should jet to? Also my elevation is only 500ft. Also in a few weeks I’m planning a trip to a place that’s 7000-9000 elevation. So just wondering what yall think I should jet for that trip. I have a main kit of 190-330

I would go up at least three sizes on the main and one size on the pilot with the mods you have. By your description it definitely sounds lean on the main. Go safely rich, maybe four sizes larger on the main and work your way leaner carefully. I'll bet you settle in around 250-260 main jet.

For high elevation you will need to lean your jetting from what works well at sea level which is basically where you are. I can't make an accurate call on what it should be at high elevation, but where I would start is one size smaller on both main and pilot from what you end up at for a good time at sea level

I would go up at least three sizes on the main and one size on the pilot with the mods you have. By your description it definitely sounds lean on the main. Go safely rich, maybe four sizes larger on the main and work your way leaner carefully. I'll bet you settle in around 250-260 main jet.

For high elevation you will need to lean your jetting from what works well at sea level which is basically where you are. I can't make an accurate call on what it should be at high elevation, but where I would start is one size smaller on both main and pilot from what you end up at for a good time at sea level
That’s what I was honestly thinking. Is it seems to run real great until that last little bit of throttle. So I figured I probably had to go up 2 sizes. So maybe with the high elevation I could probably go with a 190/200? Hard to test because obviously I’m not in elevation. And want to jet it before I go up there instead of up there

Best I can advise is to bring an assortment of main jets with you to high elevation. You will probably still end up being richer on the main that stock spec due to your mods

Most factory specs for stock machines call for just one step leaner main jet for high elevation.