Input on a go cart build please

X-Runner

Jul 17, 2008
I'm thinking of building a one seater go cart, either low cart with street tires or off road. Not sure, the engine I have for the project is a B&S 18 HP V-Twin OHV.
Wondering where the power band of this engine would come into play for the type of cart to build. Here is a dyno sheet of a very similar engine. Should be nearly the same. Your thoughts?

Mine

18HP Horizontal Vanguard

Dyno sheet

Briggs & Stratton 18 HP Vanguard Engines

Heres where a sled engine setup would work great. I dont know how good your fab skills are but you would have one sweet cart.

Otherwise I'm not sure on your powerband but your not going to have a huge amount of power coming from that engine anyway so basically flooring it will be your peak.

Well I have the engine so buying something else is out of the question. Should be just like most 8-11HP store bought carts, slow.

This is what the engine looks like currently. I'm in the process of building it, was run low on oil.

IMG00097.jpg

i had a custom Yurf Dog kart that i stretched and widened the frame on. I had a 16hp motor in it and it flew. It was a dirt rig. You are going to need a torque converter to run it. i used a comet 40 series.

ive got a couple spare yamaha enticer 340 twin fan cooled motors, i would love to build a gocart outta one of them I:I I:I

i had a custom Yurf Dog kart that i stretched and widened the frame on. I had a 16hp motor in it and it flew. It was a dirt rig. You are going to need a torque converter to run it. i used a comet 40 series.

Yep, probably going to be the most expensive thing I have to buy. How was your suspension set up? I was thinking about just doing a solid live axle on the rear with a suspension set up kinda like the blaster uses but maybe with two shocks, one per side.

i had a straight solid axle in the back with no suspension. sorta a rough ride. i had 2 fiberglass bucket seats in it. it was sweet. front suspension only. front rode great. rear not so much. i want to say i got my whole torque converter for like $150.00 shipped off of ebay. be sure to buy extra blets because they are fin then just go out.

anothing thing you will need is a jackshaft.

just to reduce wheel hoppin in the back get it up to speed and fly over bump at top speed you wont feel it

i had a straight solid axle in the back with no suspension. sorta a rough ride. i had 2 fiberglass bucket seats in it. it was sweet. front suspension only. front rode great. rear not so much. i want to say i got my whole torque converter for like $150.00 shipped off of ebay. be sure to buy extra blets because they are fin then just go out.

anothing thing you will need is a jackshaft.

I was looking at the torque converter and noticed the ones that handle bigger engines needed a jack shaft. My little 5HP one I had as a kid had the unit all in one, guess those aren't strong enough for the higher HP engines though.

I was looking at the torque converter and noticed the ones that handle bigger engines needed a jack shaft. My little 5HP one I had as a kid had the unit all in one, guess those aren't strong enough for the higher HP engines though.

no way. the smaller ones are one unit. the one you need is going to be 2 separate parts. you are going to have to mock it all up before you know what size belt you need because they come in different lengths.

Also if you are running a engine that big with a torque converter make sure that you support both sides of the jack shaft. the one open side needs to be supported or it will just bend.

what you can do if you look at the banshee frames they have that top shock mount above the swingeer for suspension you could just weld a couple pieces on a bar and get a quad swinger to fit and get a quad shock ive done it before

Be easier to make a full rear setup that holds the engine and all on the pivoting end of the suspension IMO.

ive done it but then then the back end wont lift very good if you land hard enough the shocks taking the landing and the weight of the motor

Change of direction, I want to build a lifted 4 seater golf cart. Planning to use blaster front suspension to make it easier and cheaper. Should be fun.

I had a friend once build a go kart with a 440 artic cat motor. highway use only though had no suspension and would go at least 75mph.