Im gonna try it

Madman50

Sep 12, 2012
Matagorda Tx
i have these anodised aluminum bushings that i drilled out to fit the boss on the frame for chain rollers tell me what you think

Attachments

• IMG_0520.jpg
    IMG_0520.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 271
Perhaps I maybe misunderstanding this as well.

Metal on metal is not recommended. The chain will likely wear out pretty fast, not to mention the noise it will make.

But perhaps you are adding a rubber or Teflon or delrin or something over top of the aluminium.

Sporty

yes the aluminum is still softer than the steel chain but they shouldnt wear away it may be noisey but i can live with that if im about to screw up please let me know

Yes, I would not recommend it.

Or if you are set on trying it, Id recommend getting a case saver !

If that chain breaks due to wear and breaks your case, you got bigger issue's.

I know you want to try it and it might be cool. but you could easily do more damage than its worth.

If you want to compromise. I would suggest reducing the diameter and adding ontop of it a thick rubber A tight fit so it does not come off so easily.

Other than that, Id stick with polypropylene, delrin or something softer.

Sporty

If you could make them a smaller diameter and get some Pressure washer hose from your hardware store and it should hold up well , Just need to make them smaller and Fit something rubbery over the aluminum !

i had aluminum rollers on my banshee, never had any issues with them....

i would use 2 of thous together on a shoulder bolt, you want the roller to be a lot wider then the chain, and you want it to you know, roll.

a hollow shoulder bolt with a grease zirk in the end of it and some precision drilled holes would be really cool, but not a requirement.

the plan was to double them up and at least pack them with graphite or moly grease to lubricate but i like the hollow bolt idea with a grease zerk im gonna look into that you usually cant find any metric specialty bolts at the hardware store but i save that kind of stuff at work maybe i have something in my toolbox

the plan was to double them up and at least pack them with graphite or moly grease to lubricate but i like the hollow bolt idea with a grease zerk im gonna look into that you usually cant find any metric specialty bolts at the hardware store but i save that kind of stuff at work maybe i have something in my toolbox

That idea might Work , If you have Spare bolt try and drill and tap them yourself , A Few members here have Added there own grease fittings in the Axle carrier and the Swingarm bolt !

I am running a home-made, er.. "custom" aluminum chain guide.
Got tired of the plastic one bending on rocks.
The chain wears into the aluminum, it is noisier, it is working fine.

544788_10150946178920803_837951819_n.jpg

I am running a home-made, er.. "custom" aluminum chain guide.
Got tired of the plastic one bending on rocks.
The chain wears into the aluminum, it is noisier, it is working fine.

Does it last? What no custom made skidder for the swinger! :eek:

Would solve the problem quieter!

Does it last? What no custom made skidder for the swinger! :eek:

Would solve the problem quieter!

Yes, would be a good idea Slick, but only so many hours in a day! :)
Last year on my yearly rock pilgrimage the plastic guide got beat and bent.
I cobbled this up and slammed a stock skidder on the quad for the trip.
Glad I had both, but the stock skidder is prone to catching forest trash.
There will be a custom aluminum skidder in my future, especially now since the stock one doesn't fit the 2" extended swingarm.

Slight metallic rattle aside, the chain on aluminum seems to work fine.

Steve

Last edited: