Im choking this Mikuni !

stock is 26mm, did you measure it at 28mm?
This is one of the first problems I found on my blaster. Here's where my problem was, under the rubber boot is a groove
5oe2xw.jpg

In that groove is a metal clip
2cr3wgz.jpg

See how its got a spot worn in it, I did my best to bend a paper clip to the same shape
2vxrrpv.jpg

It doesn't work perfect because the metal is not as stiff but it does work just takes a little patience

No typo .. cuz I cannot edit my post.....26 mm piece of junk

I found the spring clip ,under the cover ,it was broken and fell out. ,It does start on the 2nd kick but it was sticking too , the shaft is bent and galled bad anyway. Guess Ill cough up $38. at the dealer to end this agony.

Reactions: Awk08
Gonna heartily disagree with you here, the 26mm stock carb is a great carby and very forgiving to jet.
It is youre right to disagree...IMO....Great carb if you have never tired a Keihin ,Keihin is harder to set up but once you get it right it hardly ever has to be re- jetted track to track or mess with the idle air screw ,or clog up internal passages, or make more outright HP next to others the same size. Ive worked with both for over 30 years .

[QUOTEGonna heartily disagree with you here, the 26mm stock carb is a great carby and very forgiving to jet.][/QUOTE]
I agree my other machine has 26s and they where easy as pie

[QUOTEGonna heartily disagree with you here, the 26mm stock carb is a great carby and very forgiving to jet.]
I agree my other machine has 26s and they where easy as pie[/quote]
Let me just say this ... Mikuni makes a good carb as an OEM supplier , because they special make the carbs for Honda, Kawa, Suzuki and Yamaha so does Keihin. But if you try to modify a bike , ATV ect .that is a problem Mikuni is very tight lipped about there specs. I have called Keihin from the Honda shop to do a carb swap , no problem . Call Mikuni and they would say ,don't know if it will work . In the early years working with the CR Hondas parts for Keihins were hard to get , just for the dealers. Mikuni took advantage of that and was very open to everyone. As bikes began to make more power like the 750 /4 Honda , Mikuni tried to take the aftermarket performance market. The problem was that in just about every form of high HP racing like Drag racing , roadracing , hill climbs, the carb that made the most power were always Keihins. Mikunis made good bottom end and mid range power mostly Morocross and Enduro. Mikunis could make good Hp too but info was only reserved for factory sponsored riders .Not even dealerships, like my family owned, was given the pro set up needed to run with the big boys. Mikuni is still that way now if you don't believe me call SUDCO !:confused:

What specs are we referring to that mikuni doesn't let out? Not hard to figure out how to modify a carb and to get specs on it. Take it apart and measure. Keihins are great carbs and mikunis are as well. Either carb can be converted to alcohol but when you drill the keihin pwk's the dump tubes need to be drilled and it's alot harder to change back to gas with them. Mikunis can be swapped between the two fuels fairly easily. If you ask me dealerships are over rated and usually don't have very good info. When was the last time you seen a high performance dealership that specializes in porting, head mods, stroker cranks, alky conversions, oof pipes etc.? You don't. They are there to sell new machines, replacement parts, rider apparel and fix stock, piped, bikes. Someone saying they know the keihins better than the mikunis is not making sense. They are both very similar in the way they work.

What specs are we referring to that mikuni doesn't let out? Not hard to figure out how to modify a carb and to get specs on it. Take it apart and measure. Keihins are great carbs and mikunis are as well. Either carb can be converted to alcohol but when you drill the keihin pwk's the dump tubes need to be drilled and it's alot harder to change back to gas with them. Mikunis can be swapped between the two fuels fairly easily. If you ask me dealerships are over rated and usually don't have very good info. When was the last time you seen a high performance dealership that specializes in porting, head mods, stroker cranks, alky conversions, oof pipes etc.? You don't. They are there to sell new machines, replacement parts, rider apparel and fix stock, piped, bikes. Someone saying they know the keihins better than the mikunis is not making sense. They are both very similar in the way they work.

Do you compete at a Local... State ...or National level have you won any main events ? I have before with the AMA pro series and the WKA National Series .I can tell you that the carbs that pros run are nothing like the ones the general public uses.As far as shops go some better than others , we supported a girl named Candace Lee in the womans pro class on a Honda 250 R ATV. She won a lot of races and entered the mens classes too, put a lot of guys to shame . The carb we used was special Keihin from HRC you cant buy one , dealers only! BTW, Do you know what a blow down jet in a Mikuni does. I did not say a person cant figure out how to mod a carb. Yes the general specs are on the web pages . If you are riding around with youre buddies , that's one thing. But to get it to win is another thing.

Why should be the need to phone SUDCO when all the info is available on their web page, pretty informative if you ask me.
http://www.sudco.com/Carburetor02.html
Its what they don't print that you don't know . I used a dual pumper Mikuni 30 mm I got from a rep at Mikuni USA.at a National race. It had no part number and the pumps were made of a special carbon fiber weave. They let me use it for the race ( I got 2nd ) but would not let me keep it or take a picture of it. BTW what are you planning to use for a carb with youre new KOR stuff , the Stock Mikuni ? :eek:

Do you compete at a Local... State ...or National level have you won any main events ? .

I answer that one
I'd say yes, he just might compete and win a little :)

I answer that one

Great...Where is that ? Thats good ,then I sure he knows more than a few things on a spec sheet web site too. I agree with some of his statement but not all !

So you are going to use this junk mikuni cause you need to wait till spring to install the keihin and jet it correctly. So keihin expert. What does spring have to do with anything. Did you ever play with jetting when you raced these big events that had temp changes, elevations, etc? Why does it matter when you jet it? A true racer will tune and tune and tune to keep it going strong. Theres alot more to winning than a carb thats "special" from the factory. BTW Nah I don't race or anything competitively. I just build stuff to stare at and act like I have experience. Good luck chasing hp out of your carb. Nuff said. I'm out.

I answer that one

I can see a little mistake on his part , if you care to know. When he is staged at the lights and right before he gets ready to leave ..he needs to not blip the throttle . When you do that there is always a chance that you can get caught on the down rev. Keep a steady throttle using a tach at the peak RPM where the HP and Torque cross on a dyno sheet. You will get a better/ consistent holeshot ! I promise .The NHRA teaches you that in their drag racing classes.

Now he is a drag racing expert NHRA tought him. You can't tune a mikuni carb. Don't even try to run methanol and try and tune it. Better yet don't "clean it out" and see how well you leave at the line. You are killing me with all this great info. Please tell me more. Does it look like it's jetted correctly?

i'll
Great...Where is that ? Thats good ,then I sure he knows more than a few things on a spec sheet web site too. I agree with some of his statement but not all !

i'll keep playing along......

If theres a website somewhere with a jetting spec sheet for a drag ported CT240 cylindered, stroked, blaster running a huge lectron carb on alcohol ?
and you find it, please link me to it so i can add it to the jetting section for future reference.

BTW.....I predict a track championship this season :)