help head light wont work

fast02blaster

Nov 3, 2012
newark delaware
hey aight so i bought this blaster few months ago and head light has never worked checked the buld bulb is fine pulled out the meter and tested the wires im not getting any power or anything up to the wires what could cause this i was thinking voltage regulator but was told that only effects the volts going back to stator? any help would be appreciated i want this head light working

Put a meter over the yellow/red wire coming from the stator to see if any AC voltage exists.

If the reg is working it will be around 12 volts, if not it will soar.

alright, a quick electrical lesson.

There are 4 major components in the lighting system. The lighting coil (which generates between 7 and 35 VAC), the voltage regulator, the handle bar switch, and the light bulb itself.

The lighting coil has a resistance spec listed in the service manual (read as Ohms) relative to chassis ground. I believe it's the yellow with red striped wire coming out of the front left corner of the motor and connecting to the wiring harness just inside the frame on the left side (about where your leg sits).

If it is reading the correct resistance, you can start the motor and check for VAC. At an idle it should be putting out ~7VAC.

Once it goes into the harness it actually splits. One "leg" goes to the voltage regulator which acts as a "dead short" for all voltage over ~14VAC to limit the voltage on the lighting line to that.

The other "leg" goes to the handlebar switch where it is switched between the outgoing yellow and green wires (high and low). From there it goes directly into the lightbulb and then the lightbulb is connected back to harness ground.

yea i hate electric lol to me its complicated i used the meter on the wires that plug into the light and checked for high beam and low beam and got nothing my bro is a mechanic and did it for me the voltage regulator is the silver thing under the "hood" has two wires off of it one Blue i belive and one black i guess i can test it the way blaaster just stated ?

Often you can push the probe of the meter through the insulation of the wire.

If at about 2000 revs you have about 12 volts on the y/r wire the problem could be the switch.

If the AC voltage is nil the problem could the stator winding or a shorted reg.

If you have over 12 volts at high revs the reg is faulty.

Aight I think I get it lol so the yellow/red wire off of the stator check that wire if it reads constant 12 volts constant the regulator is fine and could be switch if over voltage is over 12 than regulator is bad ? And if reading nothing at all stator is bad am I understanding correctly lol srry if being pain just wana make sure I'm right

You've got the basics. The yellow/red wire if unhooked from the wiring harness with the engine running will vary between 7 VAC at idle and ~35 VAC as you rev the engine up.

With it connected to the wiring harness and the voltage regulator working, it should read 7VAC at idle and approximately 14VAC (12 is close enough) at just above an idle.

If you have ANY voltage at all on the yellow/red wire above 7VAC, it should be lighting the lightbulb so your problem would be either a harness ground or the handlebar switch.

Well I checked and I got power up too the plug that the switch plugs into but the switch isn't working I undid the plug and sprayed it with cleaner and even the the switch but still no go any more ideas lol

I have had some luck disassembling the switches and cleaning them with contact cleaner.

The easiest solution is to simply replace the switch with another one.

Aight well looks like ill be buying a new switch lol could it be aground ?

You should ALSO test the bulb ground (the black wire sticking out of the harness) relatively to chassis ground to make sure you don't have two problems but if the switch has no continuity through the switched leads, it's not making electrical contact internally.

so a little help needed my multimeter is set to ac and the positive into the yellow and red but where do i out the negative from the multimeter i tried grounding to frame and touching it to the block also a bunch of mis. screws around the motor and frame. still no voltage coming from yellow and red wire coming out of the motor unless I.m grounding the multimeter wrong im guessing the stator is bad? is there a diffrent wire to test coming from the motor? Thank you in advanceI:I

by the way the bike runs great kill switch works i have tested every wire asociated with the headlight and every wire is good. the bulb works when i hook it up to a battery switch tested good aswell. is the stator to power lights only? thats why i am testing is to get the headlight to work