help head light wont work

so a little help needed my multimeter is set to ac and the positive into the yellow and red but where do i out the negative from the multimeter i tried grounding to frame and touching it to the block also a bunch of mis. screws around the motor and frame. still no voltage coming from yellow and red wire coming out of the motor unless I.m grounding the multimeter wrong im guessing the stator is bad? is there a diffrent wire to test coming from the motor? Thank you in advanceI:I

by the way the bike runs great kill switch works i have tested every wire asociated with the headlight and every wire is good. the bulb works when i hook it up to a battery switch tested good aswell. is the stator to power lights only? thats why i am testing is to get the headlight to work

So you unplugged the yellow red wire (+) from the stator and used a bare metal bolt not coated with anything (-) (ground) and got nothing? If so lighting coil for sure.

To check the lighting coil check out page 7-17-

YFS200 Service Repair Manual (LIT-11616-07-20) - 1988-2006

Last edited by a moderator:
according to the manual the lighting coil is bad. is there any way to find instructions on how to change it? difficulty? is there a possibility its just not hooked up correctly? lots of things from the P.O. not hooked up correctly.

maybe stupid question but the manual says to test yellow/red + & black -. this is done with the motor off correct. the manual does say to test while running. Im testing for resistence.

maybe stupid question but the manual says to test yellow/red + & black -. this is done with the motor off correct. the manual does say to test while running. Im testing for resistence.

Testing for resistance requires the motor to be still and the meter set at x1 and put over the yellow/red and black should be between 0.16 to 0.24 ohms.

With the motor running there should be an AC voltage shown, at idle it could be as low as 5 volts but at 5000 rpm can be way over 30 volts if the reg is not plugged in.

ok so i pulled the flywheel and after some investigating i reconnected one of the coils to the screw i now have resistence on the yellow/red wire. fire up the bike and the headlight and taillight both wotk. after hitting higher rpms both lights go out. i still have resistance on the yellow/red wire. im thinking the voltage regulator? maybe hit high voltage because of faulty regulator and blew the bulbs? where should o test for faulty regulator?

Did the light get real bright before it went out.

Rev the motor with the meter set on AC volts, if it goes over 14 volts the reg is dead.

ok so i pulled the flywheel and after some investigating i reconnected one of the coils to the screw i now have resistence on the yellow/red wire. fire up the bike and the headlight and taillight both wotk. after hitting higher rpms both lights go out. i still have resistance on the yellow/red wire. im thinking the voltage regulator? maybe hit high voltage because of faulty regulator and blew the bulbs? where should o test for faulty regulator?

So one of the lighting coil hold down screws was loose or missing? Use loctight on them! And sounds as if the regulator is bad- Blaaster gave you the way to test it with quad running take a measurement off of one of the light positive wires high or low beam don't matter. If the bulb didn't blow this time it will if continued high voltage- unplug all the lights before testing! Red lead to green or yellow wire(high low beam), - to black and/or good ground. Rev and see if voltage goes above 14.5V- if so-Replace!

switch is good, wiring is good, bulb is good, even shows resistance on yellow/ red wire all the way. but not producing any volts at all (when running of course). i actually pulled the flywheel again and tested all wires the green against the black/red reads 12 what is the green wire (black/red wire) coil for? I looked up lighting coil on ebay and it shows this coil. but yellow/red wire goes to the other coil inside of the stator. I'll get this I know with everyones help. Thank you

To which of these diagrams fit your year?

Four wire stator (88-02)or five wire stator(03+)? If you have a green w/white stripe wire that is rotor rotation sensor for the tors, and if you delete the tors stuff you should ground that green with white stripe wire or if you have a pre 2003 quad then that green wire needs grounded regaurdless! the yellow/red stripe wire is the lighting coil, The blk/red stripe is source coil, (for spark), and wht/red stripe is pick up coil
http://www.blasterforum.com/engine-13/stock-wiring-diagrams-51842/

It sounds as if your quad is 03+ !

i was told 01. the green wire is grounded to the frame. tors is eliminated

Ok next step is to unplug the Yellow/red stripe wire, fire up the quad and see what voltage you get from that wire while you have another hand blip the throttle!

Coils have been known to work sometimes, and then fail due to an internal break.

They may meter ok, but on production of voltage warm up and expand some, then fail to produce output.

Another thing, make sure the ground is clean.