[HELP] 4 Stroke Chinese Quad. -UPDATED-

Pwncody

Aug 13, 2011
Somerset, KY
So, I got this Quad today, I don't even know what kind it is lol, all I know is it's a 4 stroke. So my problem is, when I turn the key, it won't turnover or try to fire up. Battery is good by the way. I'm pretty sure the starter is f**cked.. but I was wondering if there was a way to bypass anything? Maybe hot-wire it.

My video of it trying to start!

This guy basiclly is having the same problem as me in the video.

Help with Chinese ATV solenoid!!! - YouTube

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: [HELP] 4 Stroke Offbrand Quad.

If that was mounted around the rear grab bar, it's the tether switch. Seems like that's what they look like with the cap off. If that's what it is; unplug it and test it for continuity with the white part pushed in. Here is something I found when I ended up with one I could not get to start Painless-universal Wiring Harness or Test Harness - Wh348-uni - Atv Wire Harness - Wire Harness . Basically, you build a harness for just the ignition system. Many of those engines only have electric start so you may have to fire the started motor manually. I did that just hooking my battery charge on the starter and the ground clamped to the frame, then turned the charger on and off (I have a 200 amp "start" setting on my battery charger). If you have spark and compression at that point, spray some ether into the intake and it should hit/run for a few seconds. The site I linked has all the parts for the china stuff, if you choose to spend any money on it.

Thank you, I'm going to try to hook my battery charger onto the starter and stuff, although I think mines littler then yours. It's for like 6-12v batterys. I touched the solenoid ends together lastnight and it sounded like it cranked over, did not start. Which I don't think it cranked over, cause if it did I'm sure the spark plug would be getting fire.

clicks are usually a sign of a seized engine... wether that be from it blowing up, or having too much gas in the engine and its not able to turn over.... pull the spark plug out and try it.... PS u might have to ground the spark plug to the top of the head.

Jumping in here a little late. Dont know anything about your make or model.

If you think it is locked up, a few things to do or try.

1, take the left cover off and see if you can turn it with a wrench on the flywheel nut !

2- you might also, try taking the starter off and trying to jump it, to see if the starter is working.

3- I have seen on my wifes yamaha moto 4,200cc. The starter engagement gear one time, got bound up. ( i thought the motor was locked up).

But sometimes, those gears, for engagement, the bolt comes loose or get misaligned and locks. rare, but it happened to her.

Once I took it off and back on, it turned right over.

Your solenoid could be bad, on my atv lt250, when I heard clicks, it was bad ! I am cheap and went to autozone and got there cheap universal one for $10 and it works like a champ.

Sporty

The solenoid isn't bad, touched the two points together with a screw driver, acted like it was going going to crank over.

I put a new NGK Spark plug, and Spark plug wire on it.

I haven't tore the motor apart yet, so I don't even know what it looks like on the inside.

Like I said before, I think it's the starter. I read somewhere, that you can take it off, and clean it up, something about to magnetic points inside of it.

I have one of those China bikes here at the moment with the very same problem.

The brushes in the starter motor are very worn.

It works when under no load on the bench, but put it on the motor and it refuses to turn the motor.

I feel that from constant cranking by the owner, he has overheated it and the armature insulation has broken down and caused it to pole, that is short out internally.

If the engine turns over freely and the starter transport is free, then I would be suspecting the starter motor as being tired and in need of replacment.

Upload a video so everyone can see what it sounds like. Go back to the top! ^^^

Don't know about bypassing it but i jump my tractor when battery is dead by using the positive post on the starter and put the ground on bare metal on the equipment, not the best thing for these starters but gets the job done!

So I hooked it up to my truck, it started turning it over really fast. Spark plug is also getting fire at the same time. Still don't start. I'll post a video later.

So I hooked it up to my truck, it started turning it over really fast. Spark plug is also getting fire at the same time. Still don't start. I'll post a video later.

It inhaled too much smoke! :D

Sounds electrical now or no compression! Getting gas? Said it is getting spark, good spark? and does crank when ya jump it, Hmmmmm.

Yeah, the spark is good enough. Just seems like every time I take the spark plug out it's soaked with gas. It's cranking over.

I have the motor taken off, laying on the bench right now. Can't seem to open it up so I can see the piston and stuff.