Hard starting need help please

Dec 29, 2015
Ok guys I need help bad before I loose my mind with this thing .... 2003 blaster stock bore as far as I know when I bought it the guy said that it was bogging on the bottom end but it started first kick every time and idled just bogged a little at first so I had the carb apart and leaned out the idle jet by one notch with the c-clip when it starts ....IF AND WHEN it starts it no longer Boggs on the bottom end but did a little on top end corrected that with the mixture screw ran perfect ... Now I can't get it to start new fuel new plug has strong spark and the plug is wet when I pull it .... TORs has been deleted along with Parking brake and it's got a 270 main jet with fmf pipe and silencer .... Thought on why it will not start please anyone ?!?!

Put the carb settings back to clip in middle slot on the needle.

You may find that then pilot jet could be blocked, and needs cleaning.

The float level should be set to 20 - 21.5mm otherwise it may be hard to start.

Check the reeds for chips and gaps.

Do a compression test, it must be above 100 psi.

The idle air screw, not mixture screw as you describe effect idle and up to 1/4 throttle, set it at 1 1/2 turns out and then try to start it.

Make sure the air filter is clean.

Last edited:
I don't think it's the air filter I've tried starting without the air box and still nothing how do I set the float hight ?

Does it matter that the plug is wet I thought that ment it was getting sufficient fuel .. I have not ruled out compression but when it does start it has lots of power

uh huh
if it is leaking out the overflow hose then the float height/needle valve is stuck
could possibly be flooding the engine...especially if you leave the fuel petcock on/ the on position.

I always turn the petcock off after im done riding especially after it leaked all over my garage floor the one time ... The jet that slides up and down with the float to fill the bowl seems to have some corrosion around it no pitting just some white stuff around it

white stuff huh?
did you try the toothpaste method?..as linked above.
show us some pics of your carb if you take it apart or as it is sitting right know on the quad:)
i will post this pic again so you can see it although i know people are sick of seeing it lolo_O

carb plus idle 1 1 2 big 1 1 1.jpg

Check the needle for a groove as well. The tip of those needles have a rubber type coating on them. May pay to get a rebuild kit. That's if the toothpaste method doesn't work.

Ok so here's an update on the no start condition did a compression test and the motor holds 125 psi ... I turned the reeds over while doing so noticed the reed gasket is shot I felt air coming out while kicking it over from between the reed valve and the cylinder ... Going to order carb rebuild kit and jet kit along with aftermarket reed valve kit suggestions comments advice please you guys are awsome and I'm hoping we can get this thing running before our first snow storm ... Also tried starting fluid in the carb and still nothing if I wasn't bald I would be pulling my hair out

Did you look at the reeds?

Also when your plug gets wet, it needs to be replaced. A wet plug will not spark correctly if at all, especially if under compression. You can dry them by leaving them out for a day, or take a lighter and heat them up a little. if you use the lighter trick you will need to sand the electrode a smidgen

Did you look at the reeds? Also when your plug gets wet, it needs to be replaced. A wet plug will not spark correctly if at all, especially if under compression. You can dry them by leaving them out for a day, or take a lighter and heat them up a little. if you use the lighter trick you will need to sand the electrode a smidgen

Yeah I have changed the plug several times I checked the reeds today however noticed that they don't look too bad I turned them around just to get some more life out of them noticed that the gasket is blown for the reed valve there is air coming out when I'm kick starting it and it's sounding like its wanting to start but acting like it has no fuel...I have adjusted my float height to 20-21.5 mm cleaned my piolet jet and checked compression so I have fuel spark compression and no start still ?!?!WTH

If you can HEAR the air coming in and out of the gasket, it probably wont start.

You need to leak test the motor and fix those before you proceed.
Running your engine as-is (severe airleak) can blow you engine in a short amount of run time

Yeah it has not ran since I've pulled the reeds out ??? Which is the best reed valve kit to run on these things the best bang for the buck !

I would avoid the jet kits and just buy a range of oem jets. Get a cpl smaller and a cpl bigger than what you figure you'll need, then you can do a proper plug chop.