F*&*^^^&K!!! Crank Case screws are stripped!!!

OMG one problem after another! Now Im replacing my chain sprocket set, I got the rear sprocket off, now I was removing the case cover to get to the smaller sprocket and 2 of the screws are f*ck*N stripped!! I cant change the front sprocket! WHat do I do now? A just replace the rear sprock and chain or B keep the original slightly warn set on :-(

The rear Sprocket is 40 teeth sun star. the chain is DID, besides being orangy rust color it looks ok, no pits. The sprocket looks o...k but Im taking it out to the sand dunes in 4 days :-( I don't want it to snap on me. Here are the pics

2013-07-06000750.jpg

2013-07-06000732.jpg

2013-07-06000708.jpg

Mine were stripped there as well. I was able to get some vice grips on them and break them loose. Once you get them free take the bolts to hardware store and replace them with Allen heads.

If you change any of the three in your chain and sprockets combo, all three need replacing.

Remove those screws and do not even dream of putting a new chain on an old sprocket, you court disaster if you do.

yeah these bolts are trash, there appears to be a gasket between the crank case cover in the engine once I get the screws off and remove the cover will the tranny oil pour out? or is it acompletely separate

That area gets no oil and is a dry area. There is a rubber gasket to keep any mud,water, etc out so the stator and flywheel do not get wet.If you ever see any oil,etc under that cover you would have a leaking crank seal.

Thank you Dualstroke. I hope I can fix this thing by Wednesday (Pismo Beach DUnes) its frustrating. I am going to Harbor Frt. Monday and pick up the screw extractor. And ill replace with new allens.

That area gets no oil and is a dry area. There is a rubber gasket to keep any mud,water, etc out so the stator and flywheel do not get wet.If you ever see any oil,etc under that cover you would have a leaking crank seal.

Just for the hell of it try to find a 12 point socket that just doesn't fit over the head of the screw, metric or standard. Then tap/hit it onto the head of the screw and try to undo it. It works pretty good and might just get the job done before you go buy more tools.

You don't need any other tools to remove the stripped bolt, take bummer'a advice and lock some vice grips on there nice and tight ... I have also had the same problem and got the bolt free with some locking vice grips !

It's easiest to remove those bolts with the chain still on, have the quad on the ground in neutral and the weight should keep it in place so you can remove the bolts. I would not suggest putting it in gear to stop the sprocket from moving as this could damage internal components in the motor !