Excessive White Smoke-Now What?

mtngirls

Feb 10, 2008
I'm hoping someone out there can help me with this crazy 2002 Blaster. To give you a run down: A new .20 Piston was put in, head bored, oil pump removed, and twist throttle installed (TORS removed). A first it would idle with the choke on and once I pushed it in it would rev really high. So I think I sorted that with adjusting throttle cables. An oil change was done and to much oil was put in. So when I first started it it looked like a fog machine was in my yard. At that time I also noticed oil and smoke coming out of a pin hole in the pipe. So...I patched the hole, drained some oil (to the correct level) and started it back up. It starts on the first kick but it still is smoking more than my other two Blasters. The smoke is still white and a very little oil spray is coming out the silencer. The oil level in the window still is correct an looks unchanged. I am running Spectro premix gas at 52:1 The same as on the other ones. I'm at my wits end here. Any ideas? I am not sure if it is just the left over oil from being over filled burning off or if there is something else going on. Help...I think I'm losing my mind.....:(

any mods??? the stock injector runs at 32:1 if u have no mods at all run htat ratio.or the crank seals are bad.

i think you have too high of a premix ratio, try going down to like 40:1 ro sumthing like that, and you are prolly still burning some oil from when you overfilled it. did you take it easy for the first tank of gas or so to seat the new piston rings, if not you may be burning a very small amount of oil that you havnt noticed a drop in the level. that would be my guess

the oil you see in your window has nothing to do with the oil you use for premix.

the oil window near your kick-start is for your tranny oil, not to be mixed with gas. hope you aren't putting premix oil in there, lol.

yes, try the proper ( recommended ) 32:1 ration with fresh 93oct. gas. (seriously... bad gas can make you think it's something else)

use a fresh spark plug.

and how did you repair the "pin hole" in the pipe?

No no mods other than the piston. No LOL I am not putting premix in the case but that would be pretty funny. I repaired the pin hole with thermaseal (for headers) and there is no time on the new piston/rings at all. I have always ran my Blaster (two 1988, 1 with mods the other bone stock) at a ratio of one bottle Golden Spectro to five gallons of gas. Never had a problem before. I am going out now and will change the plug run for awhile to see if iy is just the oil from being overfilled. How long should it take for that oil to burn off? Wish me luck as I am really getting sick of wrenching on this thing.

well, what i am trying to stress is that you don't burn the oil that is in your crankcase. (btw - factory specs are .69 qt)

the smoke has nothing to do with your transmission oil.

you probably really need to drain your gas tank.

put fresh 93 octane (premixed 32:1) gas in. use a fresh plug.

the reason i am saying this is this will put you at factory specs.

if, after you do all this, it still smokes... you know the problem is elsewhere, like maybe fuel/air mixture or a leaky seal.

but, you need to eliminate the variables that you already have.

p.s. have you cleaned your carb lately?

No no mods other than the piston. No LOL I am not putting premix in the case but that would be pretty funny. I repaired the pin hole with thermaseal (for headers) and there is no time on the new piston/rings at all. I have always ran my Blaster (two 1988, 1 with mods the other bone stock) at a ratio of one bottle Golden Spectro to five gallons of gas. Never had a problem before. I am going out now and will change the plug run for awhile to see if iy is just the oil from being overfilled. How long should it take for that oil to burn off? Wish me luck as I am really getting sick of wrenching on this thing.

okay, first of all, you need to do a break-in, it sounds as if you haven't done that yet,

now, make sure that you have an adequate amount of tranny oil

drain your gastank and premix at 32:1 b/c its stock

definately check your air/fuel and jetting..

Yup

Superex has good info there. You can get crankcase oil in there to burn, but somethings gotta go bad. Case seal, suck a crank seal, something like that. Also if it's a new piston and rings you need to break it in. There is a few posts on that in the support sections. Check the plug, too, what she tell you?

A

Think we are getting somewhere. Smoke is getting better. Seems to get better as time goes on. Let it ran for about 15 minutes and will do the same in the morning. Hopefully it was just the overfilled oil. I have a really dumb question.....you said that the oil that I put in the trans has nothing to do with the oil in the case. If I put oil in the trans case is that not the oil that is then drained out the bottom of the main case when the drain plug is pulled? Just wanted to make sure that I wasn't a complete idiot (maybe I am LOL).

yes, that is the oil that drains when you remove the drain plug underneath the quad.

it is used for lubing your transmission, crank and clutch.

put some cardboard under your blaster.. make sure you don't have oil leaking out at night.
if, when you ride, you notice a decrease in the amount of oil in the crankcase (and made sure that you don't have a dripping leak) then you probably have a seal issue.

the only reason the crankcase oil should ever burn is if you spill on your engine or you have a bad seal.

My money is on a bad crank seal.... I have seen that happen first hand. At least it is easy to change.