Durby's Blaster rebuilds - Monster Themes for Kiddos

Durby

Supporting Member
Forum Supporter
Nov 16, 2012
Oroville, CA
I have a different thread for this but several pics got messed up when I organized my albums. I also decided that I didn't like the way the paint was coming out so I sent everything back to the sandblaster and started over.

This is what I started with....

DSCN1778_zps01484ffe.jpg

RedQuadBillsMuffler_zpsbcedd86f.jpg

DSCN1776_zps7931d86b.jpg

RedQuad_zpsb3cde989.jpg

The first effort but decided I didn't like the way they were looking

IMG_1812.jpg

IMG_1813.jpg

This is the Pink blaster after paint on the 2nd go around

20130505_110249.jpg

This is what I am painting with

20130505_110404.jpg

This is one of the engines already completely rebuilt and not waiting for a home to get a remodel before creating some khaos for my kids!

DSCN1786_zps006a277f-1.jpg

DSCN1785_zps15ede7a5.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Awk08
from rags to riches...nice work !
earned ya some reps

The weather finally cleared and the wind stopped blowing so I went out and painted the second frame today. The color is 2013 Chrysler Green. Frame is still hanging frame my favorite painting tree in the backyard as I don't have a garage but still looks good. I will probably take a few more pics when I have the frames side by side. Gonna try and get the hubs painted today as well and then tomorrow I will paint the white parts of the pink bike and the black parts of the green bike to start putting them together. I think the green in the pics below looks pretty "tight" as my kids say.

Okay, made a bit of Progress I:I and I now have rollers:D. So far I am really liking the paint schemes. Have to order a few parts and get the plastics all polished up and/or painted.

Here is the Green and Black scheme for my Boy:D

Here is the Pink and White scheme for daughter:D

And here they are together. The pink one doesn't have the grab bar on it yet but it will be there later today or tomorrow.

Oh yeah. has anyone ever tried to mount an LT250R rear shock onto one of these little blasters? I have an extra one and that is what is what the green quad has mocked up for a rear shock right now.

Oh yeah. has anyone ever tried to mount an LT250R rear shock onto one of these little blasters? I have an extra one and that is what is what the green quad has mocked up for a rear shock right now.

I havent heard of anyone doing it, but it looks just right in the pic, little low perhaps... But if theres no play i think it will work for ya!

And the quads are looking good man! I:I

lookin good so far !
i noticed the different rear shock on "greenie"
it's upside down
so far i have used honda 400ex, 450r and 250r shocks on my black bike.
they were all able to use the ken oconnor racing shock bushings to reduce the top mount bolt to the smaller 12mm size the shocks required......
400 EX bushings
the swinger shock mount needs drilled out to fit and use a larger bolt/pin to match the larger shock hole.
check into that, it very well me be the case for that lt shock too ?

I decided to just purchase another rear blaster shock for now. I found one on Ebay for $18.75 used with free shipping. As the kids get older I will MOD the bikes to their riding abilities, but for now, I think the stock shocks will work for them.

I bought a used rear shock off ebay for $18.50 with free shipping and it's in pretty good shape too. Here are some pics of the Blasters with plastics in a mock up mode, gotta pull the engine I have from storage and let my mechanic know I am ready for the 2nd engine now. Gonna get the wireing harnesses all installed over the next few days but it appears I also have a rear brake issue. I will post pics and my questions in the Brakes forum later.

The original blueish purpleish color you started with.. Do you happen to know the name of that color? Or have can lid with a number on it for the color?? Any help on that color and or where you got it from would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

The original blueish purpleish color you started with.. Do you happen to know the name of that color? Or have can lid with a number on it for the color?? Any help on that color and or where you got it from would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I have no clue what that color was, just something the previous owner sprayed on, sorry.

I was able to get the pink and white bike fires last night. It turns out I had a clump of crap under the needle that was causing the bike to flood. I also discovered that I had put the splash guard on wrong.

The really nice part is the bike fires up on the first kick every time.

Still missing a few minor parts that I could use some help on if anyone has some parts laying around, otherwise I will buy them from the parts house.

1. I am missing the springs for the front drum brakes I basically have the cable but all other hardware (Springs, washer that goes between them, slide and turn nut)

2. The large nut for the rear swing arm bolt. The one that goes through the frame. (If anyone has the specs for this not, I will just buy it)

3. Missing a few wheel stubs on the back end.

4. Need to buy new chain and sprockets. Thinking of going with 14/40 for the sprockets.

Other than that the bike is complete. I will try to post some newer pics of the bike when I can, right now it is hiding in my storage unit since I don't have a garage.

1. I am missing the springs for the front drum brakes I basically have the cable but all other hardware (Springs, washer that goes between them, slide and turn nut)

2. The large nut for the rear swing arm bolt. The one that goes through the frame. (If anyone has the specs for this not, I will just buy it)

M14 X 1.5 I think!

im diggin the green one. Props to you for building the quads decently and not skimping out on anything.