Dual Sport Decision

Braaaptor

Dec 1, 2009
Hamlet, NC
I think I need a dual sport bike. Not want, need. I live way down a dirt road that turns into a sand pit before it gets to my house. You never know what part of the road is gonna wash out next, and IDK how my little Kawasaki KZ streetbike will navigate this mess. Time will tell, I reckon.

I also like the idea of riding part of the way to work on the trails which are everywhere in town, and the rest of the way on pavement. I live in a small enough town that most of the speed limits around don't exceed 55 mph, even on the highway.

SO, my question is this: For those of you who have experience with dual sport bikes, are they worth the investment for somebody like me? I know they are difficult to get comforable on during long trips, so that's why I drive a truck. I need something for around town.

What brand/model do you guys like and would recommend? myusername used to have a downright sexy woman (and DRZ400, I think! ;)) in his sig pic.

I was looking at DRZ 400's, or perhaps a Honda or Kawasaki 650??? A Honda XR 400 would be cool, but IDK if they ever came stock in dual sport trim.

I'm 6'2" tall, 175lbs.

Opinions are welcome. If this thread turns ugly, it will be closed and that'll be that. B)

My brother has a WR450f. If you take the factory restrictions out, that thing screams. I have had it up to 60 in 3rd gear, and he hasn't capped it yet on the road, stopped at 88 still accelerating. It also does amazing in trails, of course. And it isn't too loud. I:I I'm about the same build as you and I'm very comfortable on the bike. He is a little shorter and weighs a bit more, and he has no issues. I'd suggest the bike.

My brother has a WR450f. If you take the factory restrictions out, that thing screams. I have had it up to 60 in 3rd gear, and he hasn't capped it yet on the road, stopped at 88 still accelerating. It also does amazing in trails, of course. And it isn't too loud. I:I I'm about the same build as you and I'm very comfortable on the bike. He is a little shorter and weighs a bit more, and he has no issues. I'd suggest the bike.

That's cool; I'll look into one! Sounds like the 450 or larger dual-sports can run highway speeds (at least for a little while) without a problem. The new WR 450's look downright sexy and it seems they use an engine very similar to that on the YFZ 450. EFI is always a plus.

I wonder if the new WR450f's are street legal right off the showroom floor, or if you'd have to buy a kit with turn signals, etc before hitting the highway?

That's cool; I'll look into one! Sounds like the 450 or larger dual-sports can run highway speeds (at least for a little while) without a problem. The new WR 450's look downright sexy and it seems they use an engine very similar to that on the YFZ 450. EFI is always a plus.

I wonder if the new WR450f's are street legal right off the showroom floor, or if you'd have to buy a kit with turn signals, etc before hitting the highway?

the 450 is not legal right off the floor, from what i know, but it shouldn't take much to make it legal....

Reactions: Braaaptor

They use an engine that is nearly identical to the YFZ. The WR450f's need a kit that is sold by Tusk for ~$150 that adds turn signals, etc. You could probably get a cheaper kit somewhere as well. I just know for sure Tusk sells them.

YAMAHA TTR250 WR250F WR450F STREET LEGAL LIGHTING LIGHT ENDURO KIT 99-11 | eBay

Last edited by a moderator:
i've been dual sporting for years now. the 650's are tanks but very street worthy. drz's klx's(400's and 250's)all are good but lack certain qaulities for woods although they make big bore kit's to get up and going. not sure about your state but you can tag a mx bike however gearing is a slight issue. i currently have a 02 crf450r that has been plated since 03 and have had no problem's at all and it's an absolute blast. if you want something from the showroom floor ktm is hand's down the only way to go. i went with the baja designs dual sport kit for mine but replaced several lights with the tusk selection of led's to save wattage. i have a few pics of mine in the honda section and would be glad to help you any way i can. good luck on your decision and believe me you won't regret getting into dual sporting

i've been dual sporting for years now. the 650's are tanks but very street worthy. drz's klx's(400's and 250's)all are good but lack certain qaulities for woods although they make big bore kit's to get up and going. not sure about your state but you can tag a mx bike however gearing is a slight issue. i currently have a 02 crf450r that has been plated since 03 and have had no problem's at all and it's an absolute blast. if you want something from the showroom floor ktm is hand's down the only way to go. i went with the baja designs dual sport kit for mine but replaced several lights with the tusk selection of led's to save wattage. i have a few pics of mine in the honda section and would be glad to help you any way i can. good luck on your decision and believe me you won't regret getting into dual sporting

Thanks for the input! + rep. I live in North Carolina and I reckon I'll need to do some research on NC laws regarding tagging an MX bike for the street.

I'm gonna stay away from anything under 400cc's. A 450 + cc machine sounds like the way to go, especially since 450's are all over craigslist, and as long as I could find one with a title, it could theoretically be tagged and made street legal. What sets KTM apart from others? I don't have much experience with KTM machines of any type (except for one KTM engine in a Polaris Predator).

in pa there is a form to fill out which i have on file. it needs to be filled out then the easiest way to make it happen is find a friendly mechanic or custom bike builder. you will have to keep all reciepts of purchases,the mechanic will take pics of everything and basically sign off on the bike proving it is streetworthy according to your state laws. send it in to the state and in about 4-6 weeks you will recieve a new mc title in hand and off you go. i'm a honda man but the ktm is just built solid,has a good reputation in the off road world and street legal from the dealer. even if you buy a ofroad version of the bike like the xcf you will still get a title.ktm already has the wiring done and you just plug in the lights. the 400's are nice because they are a little lighter but the 450's will rev a little more. 525,530 or even the new 500exc are very nice bikes but the other brands(honda,kawi,etc)600-650 series are enormous and you will get one hell of a workout if your planning on hitting the woods. i love my honda 600r but my god it's like riding on a tank in the woods and feels like it weighs 800pounds after about an hour. plenty of bikes out there and use your imagination, but in the end it will depend on the state and what you really want that will make your decision. don't give up because there are way's around everything the dmv will throw at you....haha take care

in pa there is a form to fill out which i have on file. it needs to be filled out then the easiest way to make it happen is find a friendly mechanic or custom bike builder. you will have to keep all reciepts of purchases,the mechanic will take pics of everything and basically sign off on the bike proving it is streetworthy according to your state laws. send it in to the state and in about 4-6 weeks you will recieve a new mc title in hand and off you go. i'm a honda man but the ktm is just built solid,has a good reputation in the off road world and street legal from the dealer. even if you buy a ofroad version of the bike like the xcf you will still get a title.ktm already has the wiring done and you just plug in the lights. the 400's are nice because they are a little lighter but the 450's will rev a little more. 525,530 or even the new 500exc are very nice bikes but the other brands(honda,kawi,etc)600-650 series are enormous and you will get one hell of a workout if your planning on hitting the woods. i love my honda 600r but my god it's like riding on a tank in the woods and feels like it weighs 800pounds after about an hour. plenty of bikes out there and use your imagination, but in the end it will depend on the state and what you really want that will make your decision. don't give up because there are way's around everything the dmv will throw at you....haha take care

Great info! Thanks! Yeah, I've learned to be patient and creative when it comes to the DMV. It'll get done one way or another! lol.

Not gonna be getting a big Honda or Kawasaki, then. I plan on hitting the woods as much as or more than the pavement, so I need something thats still managable on the trails.

Time to stop by a local Yamaha and KTM dealer and have a look around, just for grins. Never know what might sneak into the back of my truck while I'm there. Now how do I explain that to the wife again? :eek:;):D

you send her flowers at work, then send her to a day spa on her next day off....perhaps a romantic dinner....

and hide the bike very very well LOL

Hehehe, ideas, ideas.

I'll see what I can do! ;) Gotta hide it for awhile, for sure. I was flat-out honest with her when I brought my TRX450r home, and that didn't go across very well. I guess when you're married, even if you're the only one bringing in the money, you still gotta be....tactful.

Hehehe, ideas, ideas.

I'll see what I can do! ;) Gotta hide it for awhile, for sure. I was flat-out honest with her when I brought my TRX450r home, and that didn't go across very well. I guess when you're married, even if you're the only one bringing in the money, you still gotta be....tactful.

I have a guitar collection....and have empty cases in the basement....but ummm....they're not always empty hehehehehehehe

i told my wife with rising gas prices it was the most economical form of transportation for those short trips. she called bs but we bought it anyway. now time for another one