did some polishing

02yamaturd

Apr 18, 2010
pa
Kinda at a stand still on my build as of right now. My ol' lady won't let me spend any more money for a week or so...so i cleaned up my silencer and skidplate a bit..
A pic of the skid plate with a small spot polished to see what I started with...
IMAG0358.jpg

IMAG0359.jpg

IMAG0360.jpg

Srry for the big pics....did all this from my phone and I haven't figured out how to resize the photos on my Photobucket app yet....

Last edited:
heres a tip with stuff that is already really smooth and doesnt need sanding like your silencer i hit it with 2000grit wet and then i take a regualr car buffer with regular turtle wax and then mothers turns out lookin great in about 10 min

heres a tip with stuff that is already really smooth and doesnt need sanding like your silencer i hit it with 2000grit wet and then i take a regualr car buffer with regular turtle wax and then mothers turns out lookin great in about 10 min

After I posted the pic i decided it wasnt shiny enough....so I cracked a cold brew and pulled up a chair.....looks great now....

After I posted the pic i decided it wasnt shiny enough....so I cracked a cold brew and pulled up a chair.....looks great now....

lol it looked good in the pic but with the buff it takes all of 5 min to do a whole silencer thats why i want a buffer wheel on my grinder

heres a tip with stuff that is already really smooth and doesnt need sanding like your silencer i hit it with 2000grit wet

so you hit stuff that's already smooth with 2000 grit wet paper?

and then i take a regualr car buffer with regular turtle wax and then mothers turns out lookin great in about 10 min

then you polish it with turtle wax then mothers aluminum polish both with a buffing wheel?

there are different grade buffing wheels... coarse, fine and ultra fine or something like that...

why turtle wax its made to take light scratches out of paint and help protect it and keep it nice and shinny mothers alone would work just fine
when you say regular i asume you mean just plain turtle wax for cars
why sand it if its already smooth

to the OP, I'm a little confused, how is the top of the skid plate going to get scuffed up? besides the mounting holes the top shouldn't get contact with anything :confused:

other than that for stuff like that (not really bad to start with) I've used just 000 then 0000 steel wool and finished with the fluffy wadding polish that comes in a can, don't recall what it's called atm but you can't mistake it for anything else it comes in a silver can with black and white letters and pictures. I believe it does say wadding for polish or some crap on it... but that cleans up stuff pretty nice. maybe a fine then ultra fine buffing wheel would be a quicker way, I just never labeled my wheels so sometimes I'll use one and it becomes duller then I kinda try to remember which one is which LOL. I'm gonna start labeling them tho as I need to get alot of my stuff polished better on my 250 :D

to the OP, I'm a little confused, how is the top of the skid plate going to get scuffed up? besides the mounting holes the top shouldn't get contact with anything :confused:

other than that for stuff like that (not really bad to start with) I've used just 000 then 0000 steel wool and finished with the fluffy wadding polish that comes in a can, don't recall what it's called atm but you can't mistake it for anything else it comes in a silver can with black and white letters and pictures. I believe it does say wadding for polish or some crap on it... but that cleans up stuff pretty nice. maybe a fine then ultra fine buffing wheel would be a quicker way, I just never labeled my wheels so sometimes I'll use one and it becomes duller then I kinda try to remember which one is which LOL. I'm gonna start labeling them tho as I need to get alot of my stuff polished better on my 250 :D

I used 2000 grit cause I didnt have any steel wool.....and it actually had some water type spots on it that wouldn't polish out.....the "fluffy wadding" our refering to is called never dull.....have some but couldnt find it....

Looks pretty good so far!
I hope you guys know that mothers mag and aluminum polish isnt legit compound. You need brown then white compound for a shine to last.