DDIY!- Cylinder Porting

yfz450bence

May 26, 2009
Oregon
What you need: A dremal, and a right angle for the dremel, you can get one at lows or home depot. I can get away with only 1 bit for this job. If you dont have one already just send it in to get it ported, this is only for people who like messing with sh*t and are willing to take the risk doing this, like me.

Specs for a fairly aggresive port job but nothing crazy: Widen main transfers 2mm, Widen Rear transfers 2mm. Widen exhaust port 1.5mm each side for a totall of 3mm. Raise exhaust Port 1mm. Raise intake 3mm. Clean up transfer tunnels by making the flat edges round and smooth, make the intake bridge round, instead of flat. Use a permanent marker to mark the cylinder inside so you know how much to cut. After your done, you must chamfer the ports, get rid of the sharp edges by using the dremal at a 45 degree angle lightly, then use sand paper on the edges till smooth. The right angle tool on your basic dremal will barely fit when you do the transfers, but it works, if you think you can do this than take your time and good luck. this WILL give you more power when done right, widening the ports give more power, the only timing change is raisng the exhaust port 1mm.

widening the transfers give you low to mid power, raising the ports give more mid to top, raise them too much and you have a fast bike, but all top end.

Pics of the porting and dremal will come as project progresses, i will use slightly different specs for my build, but the ones i gave work great for an all arounder. also a digital caliper will be handy, so you know how much to mark it up.

you will ask, why not just send it out, its not worth it etc etc. #1 because i can its my choice, and i dont recomend you do this if you cant. #2 It feels good having a fast blaster that i can say i built. Any non believers please dont comment. It will take a bit, but once its done ill post up vids of the blasty running, might even post a vid of it racing a stock raptor 660 in the future.

Option: Get a 1mm base plate spacer and run two gaskets(thin paper ones), and get your cylinder deck milled 1mm to make up for the raised jug.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blasterdude27
Re: DIY- Cylinder Porting

cool, i figure most wont attemt it, so send it to one of the sponsors. i just did this post for fun, like i said more to come later as far as pics and actuall run time, should be fun.

Yeah porting is pretty much classified info. I understand why, I wouldn't be giving out my secrets that I've been perfecting for 10, 15, 20+ years. But any guide line or general info is great for us who have an interest in it. A few months ago I poked around for info on engine building and finding info for free is hard, I found some good old gordon jens and graham bells books that helped out alot. I don't have acsess to any of the tools needed or scrap jugs, someday though I hope to be able to learn more about it and practice what I learn.

ha im gonna try something on my stock jug when i take it off.
ill just clean it up and polish it

yes a simple clean up job wont hurt, to me this isnt a secret, before my cyilnder wore out, (.080) over i had those specs almost exactly, and it ran great! i plan to go ones step further with raising the jug and decking the cylinder, the porting will be slightly more aggressive than the above i posted,

i have a 30mm oko carb, 8oz lightened flywheel, clamp on k&n filter, cpi pipe, head milled, hmm not sure what else power wise.

tuesday the cylinder should be here, i will start on the porting, take some pics of the finished product, i have a good buddy with a vitos 240 kit and 34mm carb, fmf pipe, etc, his bike is actually pretty quick, i just dont like the idea of a 240, maybe its realiable i dont know, should be an interesting race when its done. i plan to break it in with yamalube at 32:1, then run redline at 32:1

Generally I would say porting is a DDIY but like you said if you have a spare jug and you're interested in learning it's worth a try. good luck man hope it turns out

thanks dare do it yourself, done! well if anything its a fun read right? you get to see if i screw up or not, and no worries for you, it can only be my loss.

Disclaimer: porting your cyilnder may cause serious problems if not done right, such as... waisted piston rings, no bottem end power, short cylinder life span, and possibly even getting drunk for your anger and frustrations, which may or may not be a good thing.

Last edited:
Few Pics, dremel and bit i plan to use. and the head im going to use.

Attachments

• stuff 001.jpg
    stuff 001.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 480
  • stuff 002.jpg
    stuff 002.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 502
  • stuff 003.jpg
    stuff 003.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 533
  • stuff 004.jpg
    stuff 004.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 507
ya it should, anyone think it will be able to beat a stock raptor 660? hmmmm im having doubts too, jeeeez im getting antzy to start this little project, blaster been down too long, ahhhhhhh

Last edited:
acualy sick. i might just do this to my old stock bore cylinder (.50 over) and see how it goes. not worth much so what the hell, i wana be a engine builder, gota start porting somewhere I:I

thanks dare do it yourself, done! well if anything its a fun read right? you get to see if i screw up or not, and no worries for you, it can only be my loss.

Disclaimer: porting your cyilnder may cause serious problems if not done right, such as... waisted piston rings, no bottem end power, short cylinder life span, and possibly even getting drunk for your anger and frustrations, which may or may not be a good thing.

I meant that more as a Don't Do It Yourself8-| but like I said if you have an extra cylinder laying around that you don't mind gambling with then by all means try it. I did a little work on my stock jug when I got my big bore but I never tried it after I got it done. I did recently put it on a spare motor but haven't put it on the quad to try it yet.

DIY!- Cylinder Porting

its not going to beat a craptor, but I want to see it

yup you will eventually, most likely at the dunes, both will have straight paddles, now the stock raptor does good, so it wont be easy. id be happy if it can keep up, for a 200 thats decent

cyilnder should be here tomorrow, than i will have to check it out and see if its in good condition for a wiseco 66mm piston, ill finish porting it same day most likely, than i plan to do some measuring so i can get the cylinder decked, and head re shaped and modified for a squish clearance of 1.1mm. thats what ill aim for, along with pump gas.

to those who send out their cylinders to get ported, do they ask you what your deck height is?, your current compression?, your base gasket thickness?, your squish cleareance? without these numbers, how can they port you cylinder properly and redo the head? they cant, they can just get close, and close isnt good enough

Here is what is done to the porting, transfer tunnels smoothed out flat edges, intake ports raised, with 2 boost ports, exhaust port widened. i didnt raise the exhaust much because im raising the whole jug about 1.1mm compared to stock. the transfer windows are not done yet and have not been modifed, i plan to widen them but not raise them. also the bore looks really good, it was alredy honed when i recieved it and it doesnt look out of round one bit by looking at the hone marks, it is standard bore and i plan to get a wiseco for it.

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 709
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 586
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 608
  • Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg