Damn carb leaking

droppedime

Jul 21, 2009
So the other day i noticed that the carb was leaking gas out the overflow.
Took the carb off, cleaned it, clean all the jets EVERYTHING. Adjusted the float, put it back on and it was good. Rode for about 20min and it started AGAIN!!
So i pulled it out again and went ahead and cleaned everything....Still dumping fuel out the overflow. The blaster is 100% stock, with the oil injection removed with the oil line blocked off.
Please help quick!
thanks

The float is adjusted 100% correctly. I have pulled the carb out and messed with it and set it all different ways.
The jetting is 100% stock

your float is sticking or isnt adjusted right. could be a worn float needle but chance's are its sticking cause there may be junk in the gas or just isnt adjusted right. .

what year is it? like 305 said the float needle has probably worn out and allows gas to pass even when it should be fully closed

okay this is wat u do. get ur bike running. once it starts flowing turn ur fuel off. and knock on ur carb with a mallet or with ur knuckles or something. works for me everytime. lol

Does it help if more people say it? The only way fuel could come out the overflow is if the float is set too high or the needle is leaking (stuck, worn, or crap in it).

For what it's worth, you can try and check the needle by inverting the carb and blowing into the fuel inlet while holding the float closed. Not perfect science, but.....sometimes it tells you something.

So the other day i noticed that the carb was leaking gas out the overflow.
Took the carb off, cleaned it, clean all the jets EVERYTHING. Adjusted the float, put it back on and it was good. Rode for about 20min and it started AGAIN!!
So i pulled it out again and went ahead and cleaned everything....Still dumping fuel out the overflow. The blaster is 100% stock, with the oil injection removed with the oil line blocked off.
Please help quick!
thanks

I had the same exact problem. I went through all kinds of sh*t trying to figure it out. I completely rebuilt the carb and everything. The solution was really simple. For some reason, the floats swelled a little bit and the float was hitting the side of the carb. So I took a Dremel and shaved down the black plastic floats and it works perfectly fine now. If you take the carb off and shake it up and down, you should be able to hear to floats move freely. Hope this helps.

I had the same exact problem. I went through all kinds of sh*t trying to figure it out. I completely rebuilt the carb and everything. The solution was really simple. For some reason, the floats swelled a little bit and the float was hitting the side of the carb. So I took a Dremel and shaved down the black plastic floats and it works perfectly fine now. If you take the carb off and shake it up and down, you should be able to hear to floats move freely. Hope this helps.

Sounds logical to me. My only concern would be does that make it more likely that the float will absorb gas? Is the plastic porous? I know the floats in old quadrajets had a coating that if you scratched them, they would start to soak up gas and sink like a stone.

i posted the same thing, and got same answers, rebulit it, im pretty sure 305 has it on copy/paste, good luck, lemme know what you did, cause im sick of hearing my bro biotch about the smell of gas in the house!

i meant you have "float is stuck or not adjusted properly" on copy/paste, you have it written on ever carb issue almost identically :)not bashin you or anything...badass bike by the way!

i meant you have "float is stuck or not adjusted properly" on copy/paste, you have it written on ever carb issue almost identically :)not bashin you or anything...badass bike by the way!

only the one's that need the float adjusted. thanks man.. I:I
but after being n the forum for so long and hearing that same ? like ten time's a week.. i mean i guess i could of explained it a little better.

first off, when you say adjusted correctly, you do mean 20-21.5mm, like the manual calls for????
if all else fails, dont buy just a float needle, there like 50 sum bucks at the dealers, when bought alone, but you get it and the seat and all other parts needed for a complete rebuild , in a kit, for like 15 bucks all over the net, rockymountain, ebay, ect. ect.....
but one thing i found when mine was sticking is, pull the pin that holds the floats on, and look at the 2 posts that support it, look inside them, where the pin goes thru, i saw a shiny mark one day, and felt it, seems the floats had worn a groove in the aluminum post, and it would hang up there every once in a while, if so, file it flat and smooth, making sure not to get filings in the carb, give it a good spray down with some carb cleaner, and give 'er a try
and as for copy/paste, i do that for the clutch adjustment, hahahaaa

Last edited: