clutch lever has a lot of loose play in it

langlais23

Apr 27, 2014
I was just wondering if there was a way to fix the play in my clutch...it is pretty tight as it should be for pulling it in but vertically going up and down it has way to much play in it and I was wondering if there is a way to fix this thanks

Any play up and down can't be fixed. I'm assuming your clutch lever is stock, in which case all the lever rotates on is a little brass bushing. They wear out like mad and then the lever moves up and down like you described. You have some options here: you could find a new bushing (or a ball bearing) to replace the old one (that'd be hard, Yamaha doesn't sell them), get an aftermarket lever, or an aftermarket lever, perch, the whole shibang. I'd recommend getting the whole shibang, the MSR ones are nice and they're SO easy to adjust.

Reactions: motoman159
Yeah its stock and thanks...but just for the time being would that stop me from shifting or no?

It won't hurt anything but wear out even more. A New ez pull adjust on the fly lever can be had for $25-35 on the bay. Well worth the $..

they all wiggle a lilttle bit,if it did not then it would make it harder to pull,but i like the msr on the fly lever/perch to,it is cheap and works extremely well:)$20-30 bucks

I just fixed one a few weeks ago. Take the lever out, grind it down just a tad vertically, and drill the lever out a little. Go to your local hardware store and get a steel bolt spacer for $0.35 and fit it in the hole. File it down flat and add a washer between the lever and the perch, add anti-sieze, and go. Takes about an hour.

The owner didn't want to spend money on buying a new one, but wanted me to fix it instead. Since my rate is $50 x hrs spent x .75, he ended up paying me 40.35. Should have just bought a new lever. But hey, you can't tell some people.

Reactions: woodrow wilson