Carb Jetting Process Explained****

Nice video. I have a thread going on my trials and tribulations with my jetting. I have a question for ya and see if you have any idea. I have a stock filter, lid is on the air box, B8ES gapped to .30, I'm on the leanest setting on my needle, 290 Main, with a 28mm Mikuni and can't quite hit WOT without it bogging. I plugged chopped at half throttle to check my needle, and it was WICKED lean. If I richen the needle setting, it bogs at 1/4-3/4 and cuts out at WOT. Why would it bog if I richen the mixture with the needle?

Nice video. I have a thread going on my trials and tribulations with my jetting. I have a question for ya and see if you have any idea. I have a stock filter, lid is on the air box, B8ES gapped to .30, I'm on the leanest setting on my needle, 290 Main, with a 28mm Mikuni and can't quite hit WOT without it bogging. I plugged chopped at half throttle to check my needle, and it was WICKED lean. If I richen the needle setting, it bogs at 1/4-3/4 and cuts out at WOT. Why would it bog if I richen the mixture with the needle?

I know this is blaster forum but is this a blaster or banshee? (looks like blaster pilot but banshee mains)
Altitude?
temp?
Air filter clean?
Banshee plug gaps are supposed to be 0.7-0.8 I believe, make sure you double check that.
Have you ruled out other causes besides jetting?
Is it misfiring?
Tried a new plug?
What mix ratio fuel/oil or are you running the oil pump?
Mods in the signature accurate?
No intake/exhaust leaks?
Carb is all stock?
How rich did you go on the needle setting?

I know this is blaster forum but is this a blaster or banshee? (looks like blaster pilot but banshee mains)
Altitude?
temp?
Air filter clean?
Banshee plug gaps are supposed to be 0.7-0.8 I believe, make sure you double check that.
Have you ruled out other causes besides jetting?
Is it misfiring?
Tried a new plug?
What mix ratio fuel/oil or are you running the oil pump?
Mods in the signature accurate?
No intake/exhaust leaks?
Carb is all stock?
How rich did you go on the needle setting?

LOL...uh, It is a Blaster. I will answer the questions here, but you might be more suited to refer to my "Should I rejet?" thread. Ok, here goes.
Altitude - 1800ft
Air Filter - Brand New (Stock and came oiled)
Plugs Gapped - .30 (Blaster Stock .27-.32)
I have done a leakdown and that was good, compression is about 130psi and I have tried new plugs. I can't be sure if it is misfiring, would a normal timing light work on a Blaster? It is definitely flooding with the clip down one from the top of the needle, I've pulled it and the plug is covered, I raise the clip and it burns off completely. Mixing 32:1, the oil injection was removed and so is the TORS. The sig are correct, no sure about reeds though, and currently ran a 290 main. Stock carb, according to the manual is a 26mm, I have a 28mm. I have been completely up and down on the needle, the more I raise the needle, the worse it gets. Seems like the richer I run, the worse it bogs.

Ok, if you do shoot over to my thread, you might want to save yourself some time and shoot on up the the 2nd or 3rd page from the end, unless you want a full background of what I've done to this machine. Thanks for getting back to me, I'm just looking for more input from other experienced riders.

I have been completely up and down on the needle, the more I raise the needle, the worse it gets. Seems like the richer I run, the worse it bogs.

I am not trying to be smart, but are you mistaking a bog for a babble.

I will try to explain, a bog caused by a lean mix sounds B l a a a.

A babble happens with a rich mix and sounds like the motor is 4 stroking, B lugh, Blugh, Blugh.

I am not trying to be smart, but are you mistaking a bog for a babble.

I will try to explain, a bog caused by a lean mix sounds B l a a a.

A babble happens with a rich mix and sounds like the motor is 4 stroking, B lugh, Blugh, Blugh.

ROFLMAO...oh I wish I was a fly on the wall listening to you explain that to someone. I:I

Bog or Babble, I don't know. Let me try to explain this. With my 32.5 pilot (stock for blaster in 26mm Mikuni Carb), working the air screw, at 3 turns out, it high idles. Under 2 turns it stalls. I switch to my 35 pilot and the idling stops increasing at 2 turns. I adjust my idle screw out to lower the idle and then turn the air screw out about 1/8-1/4 turn more and it is at a good idle. With my clip at the middle position, I go for a quick ride and can't get to 1/2 throttle without it spitting and sputtering, even once the Blaster is warmed up. I lower my clip (raise the needle, richening the mix) one position and it gets worse. I raise my clip (lower the needle, leaning out the mix) to one position above middle and it gets better, but around 1/2 throttle it starts to spit and sputter again. I raise my clip (lower the needle, completely leaning the mix on the needle) to the very top slot and I can get all the way to 3/4 throttle, but at WOT it spits and sputters. I decided to do a plug chop at 1/2 throttle to see, and even when i just pulled the plug (after doing a good 6 or 7 seconds at 1/2 throttle) and peek at the ceramic, it looks brand new. I still decided to cut it and it was perfect white, no smoke ring on it at all.

ROFLMAO...oh I wish I was a fly on the wall listening to you explain that to someone. I:I

Bog or Babble, I don't know. Let me try to explain this. With my 32.5 pilot (stock for blaster in 26mm Mikuni Carb), working the air screw, at 3 turns out, it high idles. Under 2 turns it stalls. I switch to my 35 pilot and the idling stops increasing at 2 turns. I adjust my idle screw out to lower the idle and then turn the air screw out about 1/8-1/4 turn more and it is at a good idle. With my clip at the middle position, I go for a quick ride and can't get to 1/2 throttle without it spitting and sputtering, even once the Blaster is warmed up. I lower my clip (raise the needle, richening the mix) one position and it gets worse. I raise my clip (lower the needle, leaning out the mix) to one position above middle and it gets better, but around 1/2 throttle it starts to spit and sputter again. I raise my clip (lower the needle, completely leaning the mix on the needle) to the very top slot and I can get all the way to 3/4 throttle, but at WOT it spits and sputters. I decided to do a plug chop at 1/2 throttle to see, and even when i just pulled the plug (after doing a good 6 or 7 seconds at 1/2 throttle) and peek at the ceramic, it looks brand new. I still decided to cut it and it was perfect white, no smoke ring on it at all.

Bump your main a size or two and run the needle where you think its running a little lean.

Bump your main a size or two and run the needle where you think its running a little lean.

I was running at a 290 main, but it was cutting out at WOT. So I plug chopped at 1/2 throttle and it read SUPER lean. So that has me nervous. I went and picked up a 350 main, just because I wanted to go super rich for now until I can figure it out, and to see what effect it might have. I will hopefully find out tomorrow.

I was running at a 290 main, but it was cutting out at WOT. So I plug chopped at 1/2 throttle and it read SUPER lean. So that has me nervous. I went and picked up a 350 main, just because I wanted to go super rich for now until I can figure it out, and to see what effect it might have. I will hopefully find out tomorrow.

Im thinkin needle 3rd clip-ish and a 310-320 main

Im thinkin needle 3rd clip-ish and a 310-320 main

Seriously, if I move that clip, I lose 1/4-3/4, it just wants to die. When I pull the plug on it, it is fouled bad. If I go to the top clip, it gets super lean...just from visual inspection, not chopping of course.

There is a portion of the throttle position where the needle and main over lap each other. If you go a little bigger on the main it'll help out the needle with being a little lean. If that doesn't work you may need to look into an aftermarket air filter or a different needle.

There is a portion of the throttle position where the needle and main over lap each other. If you go a little bigger on the main it'll help out the needle with being a little lean. If that doesn't work you may need to look into an aftermarket air filter or a different needle.

The needle is what I'm thinking. I don't have the P/N in front of me, but I do know that what is in the car right now, doesn't match up to the one specified in the VM Manual. Sad thing is, my local dealer can't order the size in the VM Manual, and I don't want to pay $8 for shipping from PSEP.

Thanks for your help. I've checked out your videos on youtube, all the tear down and reassembly are priceless, you deserve a technicians badge on here for them. Keep up the good work, pretty sure I've subscribed to you too, I'll be watching.

The needle is what I'm thinking. I don't have the P/N in front of me, but I do know that what is in the car right now, doesn't match up to the one specified in the VM Manual. Sad thing is, my local dealer can't order the size in the VM Manual, and I don't want to pay $8 for shipping from PSEP.

Thanks for your help. I've checked out your videos on youtube, all the tear down and reassembly are priceless, you deserve a technicians badge on here for them. Keep up the good work, pretty sure I've subscribed to you too, I'll be watching.

Glad I was able to help man. Post back when you gte an update. thanks!

The tech badge would be kinda cool lol.

Awesome vid iv watched it a few times now, however I can't figure out my blaster for the life of me... Fully rebuilt engine bored .25 over other than that all stock.

Started ut up for the first time and I need to give it full throttle to get it to start up. When it runs it only ever hits about 2000rpm max and sounds like "blugh blugh blugh" seems to me its rich o.0 its a 230 main 32.5 piolet reeds are good leak down tested, lots of compression just lost my tester so I dont know for sure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Im so lost

I wonderd about that actually. I cant find the plug for the carb brick to plug into... Thought it might be removed (probably not right though) what will happen to the running bike if the tors is malfunctioning?

this.................

When it runs it only ever hits about 2000rpm max and sounds like "blugh blugh blugh"