Blown Up?

2tken

May 20, 2024
Hi all. I'm new to riding my blaster. It's an 04 deleted oil, deleted tors,
I was ridding the other day when I heard a pop from under me. I figured a backfire. But it started running like 💩. Very low throttle response, bogging out and such. Cut out at a stop sign and won't start now. It was running great before this. Running about 32:1 oil. Got a vitos carb i was going to install, but I would like to know your take on what happened. Did i blow it up? How would I check if so? I can push the kicker down with my hand, but not too easily. Not sure what to do or what to check.
Appreciate the help.

A backfire can shear the flywheel key which will adversely effect your ignition timing to the point that it might be difficult to start or won't run at all depending on how far the flywheel has shifted out of proper placement . But a compression test is simple to do and will be the most logical first step for you. If compression is good, the next thing I would check is the flywheel key based on what you are describing.

Turns out I only have 40psi of compression. What to do next? Rings? Piston? Not sure

Hate to butt in lol.. but my new to me blaster lost power yesterday and won't start now and I checked the compression only have about 35psi lol so similar problem but I didn't hear any pops or bangs. I'm guessing the rings are fried but very new to this 2 stroke thing.

In terms of compression needed to run, 2-strokes really aren't different than 4-strokes.

Whatever you guys find when you pull the top end, you need to figure out why you had a catastrophic failure that caused such low compression. There can be quite a few different causes, most common with a 2-stroke would be a lean condition caused by an air leak. Base gasket, crank seals, reedvalve gaskets are the most common.

Evidence of a lean burn-down with loss of compression would be in the form of the piston crown on the exhaust side melted away as well as aluminum streaking on the cylinder wall. The aluminum streaking in the cylinder wall is piston material that stuck to the cylinder wall when it began to melt. Often times this causes stuck compression rings and loss of compression.

Please keep this thread updated with what you find. 👍🏻

Reactions: tibblits
In terms of compression needed to run, 2-strokes really aren't different than 4-strokes.

Whatever you guys find when you pull the top end, you need to figure out why you had a catastrophic failure that caused such low compression. There can be quite a few different causes, most common with a 2-stroke would be a lean condition caused by an air leak. Base gasket, crank seals, reedvalve gaskets are the most common.

Evidence of a lean burn-down with loss of compression would be in the form of the piston crown on the exhaust side melted away as well as aluminum streaking on the cylinder wall. The aluminum streaking in the cylinder wall is piston material that stuck to the cylinder wall when it began to melt. Often times this causes stuck compression rings and loss of compression.

Please keep this thread updated with what you find. 👍🏻
Awesome information I certainly will thank you sir 👍🏻

Reactions: RIDE-RED350r
IMG_20240617_125837616.jpg
wowza.

Yep, she's toast. There is likely an air leak you need to hunt down and address.

Honestly, with a machine as old as the newest Blaster are getting, I would do a full rebuild, top to bottom. Crank and CB bearings, crank seals, possibly have the crank rebuilt, determine what bore the top end is on and get the cylinder bored and a new matching piston for a fresh clean slate.

I've watched a video on the bottom end and I honestly don't think it's something I can handle. But the bottom end seems fine for now🤞🏻I'm just doing a top end kit new cylinder new piston cheap stuff but first time so don't wanna f*ck up expensive parts if it happens 😅

The factory service manual is here on this site and free to download. Highly recommended 👍🏼.

Just beware that if your air leak is coming from somewhere other than the top end, you will end up burning it down again and ruining the new piston.

Reactions: tibblits
The factory service manual is here on this site and free to download. Highly recommended 👍🏼.

Just beware that if your air leak is coming from somewhere other than the top end, you will end up burning it down again and ruining the new piston.
So there's a slight chance it could be coming from the bottom end?

I'd say more than a slight chance myself, especially if you didn't find any obvious smoking guns when you pulled the top end.

Ken O'Connor is a member here and is reputable.

If you call, he may not answer right away, but he will call you back if you leave a voice mail. Good guy 👍🏼

Here is his web page.

I'd say more than a slight chance myself, especially if you didn't find any obvious smoking guns when you pulled the top end.

Ken O'Connor is a member here and is reputable.

If you call, he may not answer right away, but he will call you back if you leave a voice mail. Good guy 👍🏼

Here is his web page.

Thanks. I talked to him about my basket case quad haha but nothing regarding this one since I hadn't dug into it yet. Plan on using him for something eventually tho.

Reactions: RIDE-RED350r