Blaster Forum Issues I'd Like to Address

Status
Not open for further replies.

xKroniK13x

THEN WE ALL BLOW UP!
Sep 4, 2009
This is going to be a relatively length post.
To the Administration: I, as well as many other members, would like a response to this.

----

To begin, I believe that Administrators and Moderators need to take control. Below is a picture. It shows that today, 5/25/2011, there has only been 4 staff members online, out of 8. This is not a large problem, but djack has not been online since 5/03/2011 and CC&Fabb has not been since 3/19/2011. I believe staff members need to be online AT LEAST once every other day. This will take the burden off of those members of staff that actually do their job.

Also included in the picture is that Kennedy_Power is still a Technician. I am not going to make this post around him, we all know what happened. He should not be a member, let alone a Technician, and it is clear he agrees since he has not been online since 03/19/2011.

This contains proof of information mentioned above (Click to enlarge):

----

Next, this goes hand-in-hand with needing a more responsible administration... members are getting out of hand. I am NOT calling anyone out, nor do I want this to be a flaming match between various members. What's done is done, end of story.

To those moderators that come online, you do well. The forum has over 13,000 members. It is not fair for 4 members to control all of these people. what we need is a staff that will remain active and keep the forum clean.

In the Off Topic area, most things should go, with the exception of NSFW (Not Safe For Work) posts, which did happen. Again, what's done is done so those involved should NOT be punished.

As for the other areas of the website, however, things should stay professional. I/we understand that most of us here do not do this for a living, and everyone has an opinion and a right to express this. But, do not insult other members based on their opinion.

If a new member asks a "stupid" question, do not say "Use Search" or make a smart-alec remark. Point them in the correct direction, answer the question and then simply say "The search feature can answer most questions." This really isn't hard, and we will gain more loyal members by doing so.

----

On to the next, and getting into the more technical things. This forum has been the same for as long as everyone can remember. For the amount of activity, there should be some personalization options.

Currently, Blaster Forum is running vBulletin® v3.8.7. That is great software, don't get me wrong, but vBulletin® v4.0 is now released, which enhances many features and improves security.

The cost for v4.0 is $175 for an upgrade. This is a lot, but look at the supporting members. I counted them, we have 185 supporting members. This means the forum has earned $1,850, plus other donations from members.

I do understand that web hosting is not free, but it also does not cost THAT much. The host provider that I use offers $3.50 a month hosting for 3 years, and this includes unlimited bandwidth. It is not the best option, but certainly proves there are cheap alternative hosting.

On top of the upgrade to a new version of vBulletin®, more user styles should be made available. There are FREE options to this, and vBulletin® has an incredibly easy installation process. Not everyone likes what the Administrators like.

----

Lastly, Administration needs to listen to it's members. Without the members, the forum would be useless. Make them happy. It should not have taken years to get the Raptor changed to a Blaster. When a suggestion arises, a REAL answer should be in store for it. Not an answer that just shuts the thought down.

----

Conclusion:
  • Blaster Forum is an absolutely wonderful website with some fatal flaws. I believe that these need to be addressed quickly and in an informative manor.
  • A fix to moderation, I think there should be a poll with a list of loyal members to become moderators. The poll would run similar to BOTM. Each member explains his/her reasoning on why they should be a moderator, and the community votes.
  • Kennedy_Power needs to be removed from the Technicians list and/or banned due to known reasons.
  • Members should start to show respect that is deserved by other members.
  • vBulletin® should be upgraded to the newest version, and also a selection of themes and appearance options should be available for members.
  • The staff needs be more active and listen to the community more, and give feedback.

If anyone else wishes to add to my issues list, feel free.

I would greatly appreciate no argument on this thread, but would appreciate feedback on my thoughts and opinions.

I am anticipating a full response, please do not let the me as well as the members down.

Thank you,
Corey
xKroniK13x

Reactions: darederek
well done mate, thanks for doing this in such a professional manner, i for one appreciate your remarks and agree fully with you. I second this!

well done mate, thanks for doing this in such a professional manner, i for one appreciate your remarks and agree fully with you. I second this!

You are most certainly welcome. I am trying to get thoughts out that I *think* members have. I'm glad to see that you agree. Thanks for the support.

Reactions: PikledBeats
Agreed fully.

Kronik did not want to start anything, but here is a link to what he is talking about.

http://www.blasterforum.com/off-topic-7/da-f-k-39830/index8.html

Members actually posted the rules here, and it was taken as a joke for the most part.

There are good members here who want to promote helping each other out and making this forum accessible to all ... even newbies. And then there is ... those who like pointing out what a newb you are,or just start sh*t for the hell of it. I myself wondered why the moderation has let this go on over and over?

As I said there, and will say here. "I'm no saint either, I have learned my lesson and have been trying to turn a new leaf to bring this forum back to where we help each other and debate is welcomed without the straight-out name calling." I have also tried to share this message more than a few times.

Two other real suggestions though while we are on it.....

Ditch kennedy, members have spoken, and posted enough pics of his horrible work to show he should not be a tech. I have never seen him actually get on in "the ask a pro" in the time i've been on here.

Add another topic for builds other than blasters, there are a lot of members who have discussed this and asked for it. This would enable members to show off their other motorized skills without having to go to another forum.

I guess I could be considered a newb, but have noticed a changing dynamic in the forum and hope this thread gets taken seriously. Props to kronik for taking it up in a proffesional manner as blaner has stated and I hope this thread as well does not become a place for name-calling.

Last edited:
Agreed fully.

Kronik did not want to start anything, but here is a link to what he is talking about.

http://www.blasterforum.com/off-topic-7/da-f-k-39830/index8.html

Members actually posted the rules here, and it was taken as a joke for the most part.

There are good members here who want to promote helping each other out and making this forum accessible to all ... even newbies. And then there is ... those who like pointing out what a newb you are,or just start sh*t for the hell of it. I mylelf wondered where the moderation is? and attempted to talk some sense into members, that we should not be sinking to name-calling in so many threads recently.

As I said there and will say here. "I'm no saint either, I have learned my lesson and have been trying to turn a new leaf to bring this forum back to where we help each other and debate is welcomed without the straight-out name calling." I have also tried to share this message more than a few times.

It would be nice to see the moderators get on board with this or let the members vote on a couple added mods who are on here daily and have the forum's best interests in mind while being able to be un-biased in doing nothing but trying to keep the peace (possible restricted mods, who can do nothing but keep those starting sh*t on track without changing forum layout etc.). I personally like the layout the way it is.

Two other suggestions though while we are on it.....

Ditch kennedy, members have spoken, and posted enough pics of his horrible work to show he should not be a tech. I have never seen him actually get on in "the ask a pro" in the time i've been on here.

Add another topic for builds other than blasters, there are a lot of members who have discussed this and asked for it. This would enable members to show off their other motorized skills without having to go to another forum.

I guess I could be considered a newb, but have noticed a changing dynamic in the forum and hope this thread gets taken seriously. Props to kronik for taking it up in a proffesional manner as blaner has stated and I hope this thread as well does not become a place for name-calling.

Great added information! Thank you for the support and input.

100% on all of that man. If the admins logged in more they might see this thread lol
Haha, yeah, I hope it does get seen. Thanks, 2g00d.

Well the forum kind of runs itself thanks to you guys. Spam is always an issue with any forum but otherwise it's all good around here.

I will say that Paulie B, 4cfed and Freek are around and do an excellent job, and maybe are fed up trying to moderate the daily bull ????............so only do when it's a necessity, this is just a thought, but there are good moderators. Don't want it to seem like I'm trashing on the mods, as by no means is that the case or point of this thread.

Last edited:
I will say that Paulie B, 4cfed and Freek are around and do an excellent job, but will agree that there are not enough mods for amount of members. And I think they maybe are fed up trying to moderate the daily bull............so only do when it's a necessity, this is just a thought, but there are good moderators. Don't want it to seem like I'm trashing on the mods, as by no means is that the case or point of this thread.

Yes, I agree. And I do agree with you, Paulie, for the most part, the forum does run itself. But there needs to be "referees" occasionally. There is simply too much activity for 3-4 people to handle.

But the other issues still exist :-[

I agree with most of your statements! The forum has gone way downhill last year. As far as the 13,000 members, how many do you think actually are particapants and or Posters of threads? I'd bet not even 5,000. The rest are gone or banned people who tried to use a hundred different names to get back on. Or one or two time users that get something answered then never return, or some jackwagon trying to sell sh*t. Having a185 supporting members out of even 5,000 is a disgrace. I do understand that alot of poeple belong to many different forums , (including myself) and choose which ones to support! That is ok, my feeling is if you are on here all the time, and have as much as even 1,000 posts why not become a member, your "using" and taking up bandwith (i really understand what that is). There should be a limit like a trial offer maybe 2 months and/or 300 posts, (cause lets face it if you can't fix ur problem in two months and 300 posts ya shouldn't be working on your toy to begin with)! Then after 2 months you have the option to pay the measly $10 for the vast knowledge and great riding buds!

As far as possibly retiring some Moderators, I can see that. Maybe some fresh minds would help the attitude problems out, maybe not?!!

I will be honest and say I don't see any changes happening at all. I will continue to support this site and use it until I get tired of dealing with some members and the bullshit, then I will move on ( or die )!

When YB was banned and Kennedy power, i though great, finally two jackwagons gone now this site will grow better, then we adopted Motoman, Shee, and back to sh*t, They are gone and Now a few more are stepping up, It will never end! It can be regulated better, but half of us (including myself) have crossed that line at one time or another.

Ya brush off the BS until ya can't do it no more, then the explosion! I admit I have said some pretty uncool things, even threatened a life at times, not proud of it, and believe that maybe it could of been prevented, but to actually think that every issue that "hurts someones feelings" gets dealt with, is funny and not practical!

Hopefully you will get a great response but, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting.

much agreed. Ive got no issues with arguing a point or defending yourself, but when it gets to the point where arguing or defending is just belittling people it needs to be put to an end

good write up kronik. This will def be noticed. I know i can get a bit lippy in the chat but i do it with guys who i talk to on a regular basis. so from the outside it might seem i am being a jerk but i am just talking like i do to any of my friends

I agree with most of your statements! The forum has gone way downhill last year. As far as the 13,000 members, how many do you think actually are particapants and or Posters of threads? I'd bet not even 5,000. The rest are gone or banned people who tried to use a hundred different names to get back on. Or one or two time users that get something answered then never return, or some jackwagon trying to sell sh*t. Having a185 supporting members out of even 5,000 is a disgrace. I do understand that alot of poeple belong to many different forums , (including myself) and choose which ones to support! That is ok, my feeling is if you are on here all the time, and have as much as even 1,000 posts why not become a member, your "using" and taking up bandwith (i really understand what that is). There should be a limit like a trial offer maybe 2 months and/or 300 posts, (cause lets face it if you can't fix ur problem in two months and 300 posts ya shouldn't be working on your toy to begin with)! Then after 2 months you have the option to pay the measly $10 for the vast knowledge and great riding buds!

As far as possibly retiring some Moderators, I can see that. Maybe some fresh minds would help the attitude problems out, maybe not?!!

I will be honest and say I don't see any changes happening at all. I will continue to support this site and use it until I get tired of dealing with some members and the bullshit, then I will move on ( or die )!

When YB was banned and Kennedy power, i though great, finally two jackwagons gone now this site will grow better, then we adopted Motoman, Shee, and back to sh*t, They are gone and Now a few more are stepping up, It will never end! It can be regulated better, but half of us (including myself) have crossed that line at one time or another.

Ya brush off the BS until ya can't do it no more, then the explosion! I admit I have said some pretty uncool things, even threatened a life at times, not proud of it, and believe that maybe it could of been prevented, but to actually think that every issue that "hurts someones feelings" gets dealt with, is funny and not practical!

Hopefully you will get a great response but, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting.

Very good points, Slick. These are the points I wanted brought up, I just could not think of them. Hopefully we can all come up with a solution.
I also agree that more than likely nothing will change, but we should at least try!

Thank you to all the responses. I really hope this thread doesn't die off like others in the Feedback area have. Let's keep it alive until we get solutions! I:I

great write up bro, very professional, i know there are losta issues that need to be addressed and everyone has to understand that i only have very limited admin powers..ive wouldve changed the header 2 yrs ago but i cant access certain things..when all is said and done cbaber has the total control of everything...as far as the trouble makers that sporadically pop up here, the mod staff does a great job of catching the "banned" members that try to get back in, but i do agree that we could use a few more mods just to keep the peace from time to time but i do beleive that most everyone here are down right good people and know what the deal is, so the forum kinda mods itself thru its members

I like it xKroniK13x!!!! I also think if someone gets banned the Moderator should post it with a reason for banned and a vote for the members on the punishment!!!!
I'm worried that some day i may piss a moderator off and get banned for something dumb, because im good at that stuff...lol:D

I don't even know if truthfully it is the mods, and as somewhat of a newbie I put in my two cents already and am going to take a step back on this one. I have to look to slick and think he pretty much summed it up. kronick knows I support his ideas. Kronik has alot of good intentions and I hope all listen but I feel I might have sparked this in the other thread, and truthfully it came out of context by suggesting that there should be restricted mods or joking that I was acting like a mod in the other thread, I am not launching my campaign....(I should actually check myself on getting off my high-horse) I don't even think at a ten-thousand posts+ I would ever want to have to moderate a forum. Yet regardless, I'll use and come to this forum even if it's dead and I'm the last one posting.

Other ideas aside, about the bickering, as I said, it's not just me but all who should take pride and support the forum and welcome healthy debate and not just bag on others for a laugh. Sarcasm is funny and needed but it's up to all whether they take it over the line (i've been guilty in the past as well). To an extent, most already respect this which sets this site apart from the rest. Maybe a little crackdown's all that needed to get it back on that track, and I hope some of the forum improving suggestions regarding topics etc. actually are considered.

Last edited:
ohh can i be a mod too, i spend about three hours a day on here on average haha..me n kronik would be a great addition to the team i believe :)

Status
Not open for further replies.