Big Thanksgiving Trail ride gone bad.

1995blaster

Jul 30, 2009
I have a local atv trail place, my cousin came down and we rode then the next day we went a few hours away to a challenging trail and camping place. I went there and my a arm bolt stripped and broke off.
Photo0846.jpg

We attempted to fix it and went on a night ride. It came apart again while on a open trail and went to a complete stop and bent the frame.
Photo0847.jpg

Looks WAY worse in person
So buddy let me ride his raptor 350 with brand new bear claws all around. I loved it so im gonna try to get the orange one back together and ride able and keep it as a back up bike. Then get a 400ex as a main bike.

Random pics of the ride.none of the hard trails i was always broken down and never in the picture mood except at camp

Photo0834.jpg

Photo0836.jpg

Photo0837.jpg

that nut does not come off if the cotter pin is in there

There was a cotter pin in there gurantee it. I just bet after days of riding from the last trip possible the bolt came loose and rubbed on the pin tell it broke.

you should have felt it clunking before it left loose the whole way ????

I ride with a 450r my cousin the person i was with and ride with has one. There nice but the rappy 350 does just as good if not better on the trails same with the blaster. the 450 is to big and it spins 24/7 with all that grunt.

And Awk when i took it back to camp the cotter in was will inside the bolt hole opening just sheared off on both side.
Also about the claking, the first time it broke i was on a horribly rough trail and didnt realise tell the wheel flipped up and the a arm dug the ground. The second time i was going at a moderate speed on a smooth trail and the front suspension wasnt even moving i was just cruisin.

There was a cotter pin in there gurantee it. I just bet after days of riding from the last trip possible the bolt came loose and rubbed on the pin tell it broke.

I have fallen for many a leg pull in my time, but this one I aint gonna swallow!

A correctly fitted ball joint with a good taper,good thread, good nut , and a new cotter pin, just aint gonna fall off.

Heres holdin' out my other leg, the good one, keep on pulling.

I have fallen for many a leg pull in my time, but this one I aint gonna swallow!

A correctly fitted ball joint with a good taper,good thread, good nut , and a new cotter pin, just aint gonna fall off.

thats "sig qoute" worthy right there. but truth

I have a local atv trail place, my cousin came down and we rode then the next day we went a few hours away to a challenging trail and camping place. I went there and my a arm bolt stripped and broke off.

We attempted to fix it and went on a night ride. It came apart again while on a open trail and went to a complete stop and bent the frame.
Photo0847.jpg

Looks WAY worse in person.[/qoute]

One of the more common spots of frame bending! Sucks!
And ya ya should of noticed some vibration as that nut took a hike! Cotter pins only last so long!

Hope ya find a cheap frame and rebuild her!

Welll it happened why would i lie? I think the nut came loos a lil and hit the cotter pin and rubbed for hours of riding then just worked its way loose the rest of the way over a hours of riding. For the 2nd time i just wanted to ride and new i was gonna have to get a new a arm anyway since the threads were shot so i just found a nut with the same threads and worked it on there but couldnt get it far enough down to cotter pin it so i split the end of the bolt out with a punch and a mini sledge but didnt work.

Dont get on my thread saying you dont believe me and saying im not telling the truth.

Dont get on my thread saying you dont believe me and saying im not telling the truth.

ok, we'll try to not soften up what we're really thinking then.............

dude, you're a pretty good mechanic on these things for your age, but you've had a few strange things happen lately, and it is never your fault,
all just bad luck
i'd like you to just once, admit it and say....
"this or that happened, and i was in too much of a rush to ride, to do routine maintenence"

Welll it happened why would i lie? I think the nut came loos a lil and hit the cotter pin and rubbed for hours of riding then just worked its way loose the rest of the way over a hours of riding. For the 2nd time i just wanted to ride and new i was gonna have to get a new a arm anyway since the threads were shot so i just found a nut with the same threads and worked it on there but couldnt get it far enough down to cotter pin it so i split the end of the bolt out with a punch and a mini sledge but didnt work.

I am not calling you out as a liar, my comment was that a properly fitted ball joint aint gonna come off.

Reading your explanation you are trying to tell me that you are blaming rough terrain for your dilema.

You say yourself that you bodged the job, but want to blame the terrain.

ok, we'll try to not soften up what we're really thinking then.............

dude, you're a pretty good mechanic on these things for your age, but you've had a few strange things happen lately, and it is never your fault,
all just bad luck
i'd like you to just once, admit it and say....
"this or that happened, and i was in too much of a rush to ride, to do routine maintenence"

The only wierd things are this and the reeds. And the reeds was not running a reed stop which i hadnt for over a year and it just suddently created a problem. But was solved by a good set of reeds and stops.

This a arm thing i never felt anything becuase i was slapping around huge as rocks and climbing stair steps. Idk about you but i do bolt checks but who could plan this?????

Proper maintence how about you go airleak test my bike, check the tranny fluid or gas. The fuel filter is clean air filter is clean and well oiled.

All i know is it was cotter pined on there and if i would of checked the a arm bolts i would of been okay, but normally i dont plan on something liike this to happen wbu?

I am not calling you out as a liar, my comment was that a properly fitted ball joint aint gonna come off.

Reading your explanation you are trying to tell me that you are blaming rough terrain for your dilema.

You say yourself that you bodged the job, but want to blame the terrain.
Blame the terrain? I said i couldnt feel it becuase of that yes, but dont blame. The second time i did just say f it and tried to ride becuase i was miles away from home with 2 days of riding left and nothing i could do could save the a arm.

Thats the attitude dude, nuff said. :)

Did i not just admit that the second time i would of just done it right i would of not been in this situation?How about you get the fug off my thread. I dont need to put up with your bs. Trying to second guess me, awk may do it but he helps me in return A LOT, i may not always agree with him but he tries.

you'll thank me for the "tough love"............... someday !!!!!

down the road, after i'm dead and gone, you'll be workin on sumthin and say to yourself...."i better do this right, or awk's gonna haunt me from the grave"
hahahahahaaaaaa

Whoosh!!!! As Blaaster donns his Ghoolish costume and heads for a thread to haunt others who wont admit that they are slack on routine maintanence.:)

same thing happened to me....not fun getting it back lol

i've also lost that nut, stood the bike straight up, spun me around and set me down facing the opposite direction

completely my fault, i messed up the castle nut, and the only thing ace hardware had was a nylock nut, threw it on with all intentions of changing it after that ride,
well..... my old ass memory failed me, 3/4 weeks later that nylock worked it's way off, couldnt use a cotter as the nylock was too tall,
coulda cost me big time, had i been flying