best trail setups?

!!BlasterBro!!

Jul 30, 2010
Duluth MN
sorry if this posts twice but my last one doesnt show up for me:-/
yeah havent been on at all really but im gonna be buildin an trail blaster that i could take out on a track if id like to. what pipe and other stuff should i do to the motor? :)

get a mx or trail port, focuses on the more mid rpm range power.
a cut head will help bump power.
as for a pipe, people have different choices, there is a pipe thread with reviews. read that and see what pipe you want. you will want a pipe that is a mid range.
dont forget to rejet your carb.
you will notice more power with a 28mm carb.
also remove the airbox lid if you ride in a place that isn't very wet.
you should also worry about your suspension.
the banshee front shocks w/ 400ex rear is a common and cheap mod. if you want better, works shocks all around are good. then you can spend a lot more and get elka or peps or that other great shocks.
good tires are a must. the front are not bad, but the rear suck. some 20" tires like razr or holeshot will help you get better grip.

there are a lot of other things you can do to make it better. but it really comes down to how much money you want to spend.

sorry if this posts twice but my last one doesnt show up for me:-/
yeah havent been on at all really but im gonna be buildin an trail blaster that i could take out on a track if id like to. what pipe and other stuff should i do to the motor? :)

Well this is generally personal preference and rider preference obviously, but people tend to strive for more torque and midrange power on trails. In my opinion a great XC setup?:

-Some form of a 240 kit....not the most important as the displacement change truthfully doesn't net a large increase in power or torque, but you will gain a bit in both simply form the displacement change.....some manufacturers offer different porting maps altogether while others will just resleeve and port for you.

-1 of the 2......milling the head for added compression or a stroker engine....milling is less expensive obviously...rechamber the head while your at it. Increased compression will net some power across the board, but most noticeably a more torquey seat of the pants feel on the trails.

-Trail port and polish.....this is up in the air....pick a porter and tell them what you want with your setup and they will give it to you.

-A mid range carb....for example.....if a setup calls for a 32-35mm carb(depends on specific setup), go for a 33-34mm carb so you are pulling some bottom end still. An aid to that if need be is going with a slightly longer balancer tube on the air box side of the carb if you are running a clamp on filter.

-Reeds.....my preference are carbon fiber reeds on a stock carb or an aftermarket reed cage with carbon fiber....lighter and a tiny bit of power increase across the board, but more importantly to be more/quicker throttle response in lower RPMs.

-Pipe of your choice...I run an LRD......I like it for a trail setup as it's mostly a midrange pipe(at least with my current setup). There are tons of pipes though.

just read my sig, hahahaaa
survives me and the roughest trails known to mankind,
+3+1 a-arms, +2 swinger and works rear shock coming soon

a full port might be a drag port
porting is usually called
clean up port - just cleaned up the casting errors, like in the video ken made
trail port - mainly low end power
mx port - low to mid range power
dune port - mid to top range power
drag port - top end power

these are the common types of ports

I would worry about the suspension and brakes first for trail ridding. Extra power is not going to do much for you if you have to slow down to handle the bumps and ruts.

What's hard about upgrading your suspension and brakes first. You don't have to go with top of the line first. Just start out with the Banshee fronts and 400ex rear shocks. Then upgrade the brakes.

if you have $900 to spend. i could make you a nice trail setup.
it wont be very fast, but it will ride good and have more power.
if you lived close i would put it together for it.

what are your current mods on your blaster.

What's hard about upgrading your suspension and brakes first. You don't have to go with top of the line first. Just start out with the Banshee fronts and 400ex rear shocks. Then upgrade the brakes.

Banshee stock fronts suck......just my opinion, but in my opinion it's hardly an upgrade. You can pick up a pair of Works front's pretty cheap and they are alright. I'm throwing on a 400ex rear here soon, so I can't disagree....it's more or less just bolt on.

ok you are 100% stock. do this:
400ex rear shock
look for some used works shocks for either a banshee or blaster
some good rear tires
get a fmf pipe
have the engine trail ported
the head cut
rejet your carb.

this right here should be under $900 and your blaster will be a lot better.

they range. ask a couple builders about their price. and sh*t.
there is many out there.
ken
flotek
Wildcard
K+T
FAST
ect....