beginner with a few questions

Stain

Jun 15, 2011
looked at an early to mid nineties blaster this morn that i can pick up for $200. her husband parked it in the shed 4 years ago and he died last year and she knows basically nothing about it, its dirty but it looks to be in decent shape and she says it was running when he parked it. she had previously told me she remembers him saying it needed brakes and a spring in the kickstart. i have never owned an atv and am not too knowlegable about them, the kickstart didnt seem to be engaging when i went to kick it over, was planning to go over tonight , pull plug check for spark, throw gas in the cylinder and see what happens but obviously cant if it wont kick, any suggestions as to what the problem might be, also if the kickstart wont engage is there another way to turn it over just to be sure the engine isnt seized? hope to get it running and give it some TLC a little at a time as i can afford it but want to make sure im not buying a $200 lawn ornament. it is white with purple under where the sticker is if that is any help in determining its year, is there somewhere on the bike i can find the year? THANKS FOR ANY HELP

the year really dosent matter, they were all the same from 88-02 then they added nice hydro brakes from 03-06 aside from that and a plastic upgrade in 03 they are the same. a kickstarter is no biggie.. the spring probally came off or is broken. if you got the back end blocked up and put it in 3rd or 4th you should be able to get the engine to turn by spinning the back wheels. for 200 i would scoop it right up, even if it did need a topend you would only have about 350 into it at that point and have something fun to ride I:I

Pick it up bro. It's worth twice that in parts. And if there is a hill nearby get on it and roll down the hill, pull in the clutch, click it into 2nd, and pop the clutch ad slam down on the seat at the same time. Should roll over and possibly start.

just be caredul with that kicker, if the spring is snapped inside, a piece is likely to be floating around in the transmission, if you dont get it out and ride with it in there granted you push start it) it WILL eventually go through the gears and that can be bad news.

I had a kicker spring snap and the piece went between the clutch boss and the primary drive gear damaging the meshing teeth and caused noisy gear lash!

best to get that out before you go riding off into the sunset

ok thanks everyone for the help, turns out its a 93, went by the vin #, the kickstart did engage once i got it home and kicked it a few times, when i looked at it i just kicked it like 4 times and got nothing so thought it was messed up. i tell ya it BARELY fit into the back of my minivan, thought i was gonna have to remove the tires but just squeezed in. got some sick aftermarket tires on the rear, about 12in wide, everything else looks pretty stock. sprayed dirt n grime off with air, pulled seat & air box cleaned out the mouse nests, far as i got today, next day off i'm gonna drain gas n oil, attempt to pull and clean carb(is anything going to fall apart when i pull it out?) replace the plug, new fluids, see if she'll start, once i get it started i'll hit all the grease points i see, have one tire re-mounted(for some reason one rear is mounted opposite direction of the other), get the compression checked, green slime any of the tires that go down over the next few days, anything im forgetting? trying to spend as little as possible till its actually running and moving, thanks again for everyones help ill snap some pics and postem when i get a chance

seems you are on the right track, clean that carb properly and clean the fuel lines and the petcock as well. dont forget the oil bottle at the back, will prob need a flush. clean the chain as well!

Not knowing which rear wheels you have, if off-set is same just flip the one wheel, who cares if the valve is to the inside? If you change trans oil make sure to use oil for wet clutch, NOT regular motor oil. Be cautious about the oil tank, if you mess around with it you have to prime the pump.

I got to thinking about what Blaner said about the kicker spring. My son bought his Blaster with a totally destroyed clutch , I wonder if the spring piece caused it? Beleive it or not, P O tried repairing basket with duct tape :eek:

I didn't notice the spring and it never worked after clutch install, though recently replaced it when I did pump block off. :D I:I

the rear tires are " tsl super swampers" 22x12.5-8 with id guess about half tread, i'll check the offset to see if i can just flip it, one stayed up overnight the other lost a little, if they dont work out a guy at work says he has some "booger??" tires on banshee rims he says should bolt on, the front tires are nothing special, one was leaking out through the valve stem, im gonna replace the inner piece see if that cures it, also what is a petcock? will the oil that has been in it have gone bad or would it be ok? i dont know anything about priming it if i drain it out so if its fine id just as soon leave it

If you have stock rear hubs you'll need to change them out to some hubs with 4x115 pattern to run the banshee rims. Banshee, Warrior, YFZ450, and Raptor hubs will all work.

Oil won't go bad from sitting, unless there's junk in there I wouldn't mess with it for now. More than likely it's non synthetic so don't mix oil types. I think stock rear rims have equal offset. Worse case take it to a tire shop and have it mounted correctly on rim. I hear Walmart does it cheap. Usually can get rear hubs cheap, especially Warriors.