240 forged pistons

OConnor Racing

Mines Bigger
Technician
Dec 1, 2009
CT
www.kenoconnorracing.com
I got a call from a gentleman in Tennessee yesterday. He's building a Vito's 240 and had some great info on forged Wiseco pistons. In the 70's, Yamaha produced the IT, MX and DT 250 models with a 70 mm bore. Wiseco makes these pistons up to 72mm for oversize bores. He explained that the 72mm piston could be used with a couple of modifications. The wrist pin boss needs to be widened for the B1005 top end bearing and the pistons come without windows cut into them. He claims that his info came from Vito's and that they use this same rough forging to produce their 240 forged pistons. I had a similar conversation with Paul from Vito's last year but never looked into it. I checked Wiseco stock yesterday and they have the pistons but I don't know how many. I'll call on Monday and find out. The mods to make this piston work are pretty easy to do and should only take less than an hour. This is great news if you want to run a forged piston. The bad news is the price. Not sure what dealer cost is but the piston retails for $205.

234M07200 Product Detail Information - Wiseco Piston Inc.

I'm going to order one, do the mods and toss it in my 240 if Vito's confirms it will work. The windows can be cut like the Vito's or Woosner piston.

damn 200 bucks for a piston....exactly why im using a stock cylinder on my trail bike...screw that

couldnt agree more.. i mean if you had to have a forged piston i guess but dayum lol :eek: also i assume there will be a charge to mod the piston?

Last edited:
The price of the piston is a hard pill to swallow. Dealer price will probably be about $150. I haven't seen any problems with Vito's new cast piston but I'm not going to risk it in my engine. If I break a skirt, those cases will disintegrate. Things would be simpler if Woosner would just get some pistons to LA Sleeve. Definitely an expensive option for a 240 but at least we have one. I think Freak has a point with running the stock cylinders. Between pipes, pistons and cylinders the 240 parts are getting harder and harder to find and when you do, they cost big bucks.

The price of the piston is a hard pill to swallow. Dealer price will probably be about $150. I haven't seen any problems with Vito's new cast piston but I'm not going to risk it in my engine. If I break a skirt, those cases will disintegrate. Things would be simpler if Woosner would just get some pistons to LA Sleeve. Definitely an expensive option for a 240 but at least we have one. I think Freak has a point with running the stock cylinders. Between pipes, pistons and cylinders the 240 parts are getting harder and harder to find and when you do, they cost big bucks.

we put a cast bb piston in our nephews blasty which is a real turd lol...full of "laying around parts" and it has the worst piston to cylinder clearence and that thing has been beat on for months and the piston is still holding up...is it possible that if u pay real close attention to clereance issues u can succesfully use a cast piston with no worries...i mean are we underestimating the strength of cast pistons..or are they truely that unsafe to use

i totally agree with you thanks for trying this for us 240 guys!!

theres the misconception about cast, if a bike is jetted right and running correctly with no problems u can get plenty of hours out of s cast piston, im running one in my motor from ken when he ported it, granted i havent got to test it out yet because im still out roaming the waters, but when i do i will report and i will log how many hrs i get out of the piston....and i dont ride it like a pussy either.

if i had a motor like kens, i wouldnt risk it, i mean i have around 1300 in mine with the 240 and +3 stroker motor. im anal about my all my toys, meticulous about maintenance and little things, so i will run cast pistons until something bad happens and it WAS the pistons fault not human error.

Forged pistons are definitely stronger and less brittle than cast pistons due to their lower silicon content and the compression of the material during the forging process. I'm not saying a cast piston won't work. They will and obviously do. I'm just not taking any chances with mine.

^^^^^ I have wondered this alot myself. I am considering a stock stroke screamer, but if a banshee trex piston will work then i might do the big bore from l.a. sleeve.

As to the Banshee pistons that might be something to look into. Someone would have to be able to acuratly measure one as there are long rod pistons where the pin is 5mm higher than stock. Also seems the two have different dome profiles, which wouldn't be a big deal.
Thing I don't understand is that about ten years ago I had contacted Weisco and I could have had pistons made for a T500, but minimum order was 25 pieces.

The guy I buy my 79' YZ400 pistons had them made by Wiseco. He said minimum order is 100 pieces (maybe they raised it?).
Anyway I think your right about the crown being different with the Banshee pistons.

Wiseco will do a 12 piece minimum order for $150 (dealer cost) per piston kit. I looked into this a couple of months ago but I didn't get the feeling anyone wanted them. The way my luck goes, I would get them made and Woosner would become available the next day.

is it 12 pistons per size? I would be interested in a forged big bore piston BUT I need a 72.50mm. All the 72mm pistons in the world won't do me a bit of good...