1996 YZ250 clutch issue..

Lon

Aug 3, 2015
Really hope someone here can help me track down this clutch issue..Im super bad at explaining things so I took a video that shows exactly whats going on..Thanks in adv guys..

could be the actuator is worn where the rod rides ?
you'll need to pull it up and out to verify that.

or something is missing, see if the parts diagram helps..............

Last edited:
could be the actuator is worn where the rod rides ?
you'll need to pull it up and out to verify that.

or something is missing, see if the parts diagram helps..............

View attachment 24713
Thanks for the reply man :) ..
Before coming here asking for help,I googled the hell out of this issue and found nothing what so ever..The only diagram I found was the same one you posted and doesn't look anything like this clutch setup..Its close but some parts look 100% different...
Like the mushroom that pushed the pressure plate out..Mine has a ball that gos inside of it then it slides over the push rod..

Change the rod. It's not supposed to have a mushroomed end. Also check the actuator for wear. Count the plates. You should have 7 steel and 8 friction. Check the pressure plate for wear at the point it makes contact with the pusher.

Change the rod. It's not supposed to have a mushroomed end. Also check the actuator for wear. Count the plates. You should have 7 steel and 8 friction. Check the pressure plate for wear at the point it makes contact with the pusher.
Thanks for letting me know because honestly,I thought thats the way it should be ..I already ordered everything-->pushrod,mushroom/push rod lifter,actuator arm and the ball bearing that drops into the mushroom/push rod lifter tube...I do have a question and hope you have a answer...Ive done quite a few baskets on quads/dirt bikes for myself and friends and I find this odd..All of them had a thrust bearing that gos between the mushroom/push rod lifter and pressure plate..Im guessing this bike didn't come with one because I searched for hours and couldn't find anything on it..I found the diagram for my bike/year and it also doesn't show a thrust bearing..Heres the diagram and the thrust bearing im talking about gos between the pressure plate (#8) and mushroom/push rod lifter (#19) ..If it doesn't use one,this will be the first for me...

Ok,just found out that this one doesn't use a thrust bearing..I'll replace all parts as soon as they hit the mail box..

I thought it was odd that it didn't have a thrust bearing also. It's possible that the previous owner may have ground it off for what ever reason. You're doing the right thing by replacing all of the parts. Report back after you get them.

Yup but everyone says around the same year as my bike didn't have the thrust bearing..Heres pics of the parts..

Im about to update this issue and give thanks to everyone for the help in the video section with some videos :) ..