YZF600 engine stuffed into a 90 blaster

Oh by the way, I think the bumper looks good.

It's growing on me. I photoshopped bending some tubes for the top as well but think it's too much. I'm leaving them til the end.

I would do an extended test drive. Be a shame if something needed changing or rewelding after painting.

I plan on a little shakedown first. Mostly to make sure my chain works properly as that is the only thing really that may causee grief.

I wanted to use a slim hid ballast instead of the big old one i had. Only problem is the burnt projector I used needs d2s bulbs which dont use the same type of ballasts. I had some new h1 bulbs (in 8000k color, I think the blue will look nicer too) sitting in a drawer but since they have very different bases it wasnt as simple as just changing bulbs. Well, anything is possible so I spun an adaptor to space it the same distance as the d2s bulb and made a crude washer to use the factory retainer.

20160305_180608438_zpsolysznxf.jpg

20160305_180650896_zpszkb9ytlq.jpg

20160305_180716191_zpstxkk53ui.jpg

20160305_180806710_zpscz04ykne.jpg

20160305_180850975_zps60zfdzo3.jpg

20160305_180959899_zpsyvodbgld.jpg

While that was fun its time to get back to the important parts.

Made a bracket to bolt the rad cap to the steering stem. The fzr rad hoses were almost purpose built for this swap. Also mounted coils up under the hood. The lower rad hose is a just a straight run to the rad which I'll cut when I get my rad back from having the inlet moved to the other side.

20160303_115530269_zpsh4vd5wry.jpg

20160303_115711095_zpssnssqhvl.jpg

20160303_115706049_zpsz4afxpny.jpg

20160225_144119860_zpsumbaifnc.jpg

Also sprayed some of the majestic blue powder I'm going to use on this. Bike will be black/white/blue with a blue pearl over the black and white parts.

20160303_115518450_zpsuij2wxib.jpg

New sprockets in. 14/48 and an idler gear i machined down to a 520. The fzr comes factory with a 15 tooth sprocket. Also got the 4 pod filters for the carbs. Getting closer now.

20160307_100149090_zpsmydv7te7.jpg

Reactions: Charles hoffman
Welded up the last gussets for the top frame rails that I added to all the bends. Got my rad back and finished the lower rad hose. I'll get some pictures of the frame rail gussets later.

Never showed the whole finished exhaust before.
20160310_164325730_zpswf2j6ltm.jpg

20160310_164237129_zps342hn4ks.jpg

Performed some surgery. This is why many people have problems with pods aside from jetting. The cheap pods have a lip that blocks air jet passages.

20160312_132614912_zpsziudl0fz.jpg

A little snipping and they're good.
20160312_132655483_zpsgvxhhci6.jpg

Oh, and I quickly threw the wire harness back on and hooked up the tank for this really crappy video. Needs to be jetted.

Haha, well we all have our vices. :)

I just smelled it to make sure it wasn't coolant. Was just condensation.

It's ALIVE !!!! Awesome man...Great job . Riding vids soon ? :)

Hope so. Will get the wiring all ran tomorrow and put the chain on. Might powder coat the swinger tomorrow so I can put the bearings in it.

I don't really have a throttle since I'm waiting on that still. No front brakes either, have to measure the length needed. It's probably jetted quite lean as it is as well so I can't go too crazy on it yet. I'm thinking of going with a 120 main (stock is 107.5) and a 35 pilot (stock is 32.5) and go from there. Jets can add up though around here, especially when needing 4 every time.

I can imagine...jetting 4 carbs = $ You can dump $100-200 in jets no problem. I hope you get it close the first time . What Carbs. are on that ? That thing is gonna be crazy when and if the tires hook up . What's that motor make like 90-100 HP. ?

I can imagine...jetting 4 carbs = $ You can dump $100-200 in jets no problem. I hope you get it close the first time . What Carbs. are on that ? That thing is gonna be crazy when and if the tires hook up . What's that motor make like 90-100 HP. ?

Pilots are 8 each, mains 6 each locally. Online there are no savings after shipping up here. I won't be riding this everyday so if i'm a little off then so be it for now. I'll try 120/35 but my exhaust is quite different than any bike exhaust so it's all different. (I've done a bunch of reading on the FZR forums but they try to convert every pod user back to the airbox rather than trying to help so there is little info)

The carbs are Mikuni but for the life of me can't find what model they are. Only thing I could find is that maybe they are BSDT32's but don't look quite the same.

It is like 91-96 hp, don't remember. Little bit less than a more modern fuel injected bike but still plenty. I've put on a 14t engine sprocket and a much bigger (but not outrageous) 48t on the axle. 20" wheels so it shouldn't have a problem.

Pilots are 8 each, mains 6 each locally. Online there are no savings after shipping up here. I won't be riding this everyday so if i'm a little off then so be it for now. I'll try 120/35 but my exhaust is quite different than any bike exhaust so it's all different. (I've done a bunch of reading on the FZR forums but they try to convert every pod user back to the airbox rather than trying to help so there is little info).

Probably similar to Blaster as to turbulence at carb mouth. Plus 4X jetting. Also considering the exhaust, may make it leaner.

Least you're making progress !!

It seems that those that install filters directly on the Blaster carb have some issues with tuning them.
Shorter filters tend to make it even harder.
Maybe those with FZRs don't have the patience to work it out. Way more work pulling the carbs than a Blaster. More cost buying jets.

Ahh, gotcha. I wasn't reading your post correctly.

Yes, its not ideal to put them right on the carbs like that but I've done it before and can tune for it but I also don't have a choice on this bike. I'll have to glass a whole new tank cover.

As it would happen I have a dynojet jet kit from a Katana, unfortunately dynojet is stupid and labels there jets with their own system. They have a 120 jet in the kit but its nowhere near the size of the mikuni 107.5 jet I've got. Atleast I can try drilling them out to test with anyway for now and see how that goes. Save some jet money.

I put the chain on the bike and it works great with the idler gear I set up. It works just as well as a traditional setup. It has very very little chain slack when going from static to me laying on the back of the bike. I took a video but it doesn't clearly show it so I'll get another set of hands and post later.

Last edited:
These $*%&^ axle nuts..... I had atleast 400 lbs on the back of the bike, rear brake held and atleast a 6' pipe on the pipe wrench. Still lifting and turning the rear tires and the nuts still on there. Tried hammer and chisel, hammering on end of pipe wrench, nothing. I've got to get my acetylene tank filled and i'll try heating it red hot.