Wont start

rampage4444

Mar 6, 2017
Got a 2000 blaster that will not start. If you give it full throttle it will spit and sputter but never respond good. Coil is sparking. I ran the carb through my ultrasonic cleaning tank so it looks like new now. I did a compression test with wide open throttle and it pumped up to 110. Any ideas??

Reeds good ?
Flywheel off timing mark due to sheared woodruff key ?
Coil sparking....Is sparkplug ?

Reactions: best
Reeds good ?
Flywheel off timing mark due to sheared woodruff key ?
Coil sparking....Is sparkplug ?
I did check the reeds one had a small chip on the end but it didnt look like it would effect anything. Sparkplug is sparking. Could a chip that small on the very end cause this?

Have you pull started it? Has the bike been sitting for an extended period of time? When was it re built last?

Good call. A 2 stroke sitting around will often leak fuel into the lower case, evaporate, and leave a lot of oil. A tow start will often clear this mess out and get it going. Be careful. All the other advice sounds good too.

If the chip is beyond the flat seal area, it will affect starting.
This reed damage was due to water ingestion:
735161_10151384407510803_192981522_n.jpg

It did affect starting and low rpm power somewhat, but if you hadn't driven it before the failed reed, you would have never noticed the problem.
so, short answer. Small chip in a reed will not completely disable a 2 stroke.

As told, sheared woodruff key, also dried out crank seals can cause a no-start. Check with pressure test less than 7psi. 110psi should still allow starting. I've run engines down in the 90 psi range that still started and had fair power.