white flex areas on oem plastics black vs blue

hasbeenttduner

Mar 8, 2011
I have seen a lot of factory blue plastics with the white areas caused by the flexing of the plastics. My question is should I expect to see the same from a set of stock oem black fronts or is this just a bigger problem with the blue?

don't wreck it and you want have to worry about the stress marks. mine looked rough as heck, but a little heat brought 'em back.

I am going to look at a pair for sale. One of each color. I know that the white rears on the black white would hold up better for my son but was looking for knowledge on the black oem's. So if you heat up your blue plastics with a heat gun it will get rid of the large white stress areas? I am not talking about scratches.

I am going to look at a pair for sale. One of each color. I know that the white rears on the black white would hold up better for my son but was looking for knowledge on the black oem's. So if you heat up your blue plastics with a heat gun it will get rid of the large white stress areas? I am not talking about scratches.

Yes it will. Do a search and you'll find many posts about how to do it.

Good luck!

Thanks guys.
Now back to the black. Do they both hold up the same or is the black possibly a little more durable to the large white areas that remain after stress so bad on the blue.

it's the same material, but perhaps black wouldn't show up as much. i didn't use a heat gun instead i used a handheld propane torch. just went over it lightly being sure not to melt it. not perfect, but better than before.

i have my sons black bike now, not too many hard rolls on it, but had my 96 for over 8 years with many, many rolls and crashes on it, never saw any whitish stress marks on any of the black front or rear fenders
i'd say this is mainly a blue problem, and i think i've seen the reds do it as well

i have my sons black bike now, not too many hard rolls on it, but had my 96 for over 8 years with many, many rolls and crashes on it, never saw any whitish stress marks on any of the black front or rear fenders
i'd say this is mainly a blue problem, and i think i've seen the reds do it as well

I'll vouch for this info.
I had a set of ROUGH rear black fenders and not a bit of the old white stress marks showed up.

Yes sir. The black one had been through a ruffer life then the blue one but the plastic looked 5x better. A perfect side by side of these quads that have spent thier lives together up until sat. The black did not have any of the white stress marks that were on the blue. Deep scratches and some major scuffs from a tumble but still looks a lot better. The black/white is now in our garage. It was chosen over the blue because of this even though the blue was a little bit better as far as bars, levers, scratches, etc. I just could not stand the white areas all over the otherwise good plastic.
Thanks guys.

Last edited:
My grey plastics lasted through 7 rolls at 35 miles an hour up a gravel driveway. They have 2 extremely small white marks. Thats it. As a matter of fact, the whole wheeler held up. So thats a testiment to how tough these little bikes are.