what to do with all these nuts and bolts??

Mborso1029

Oct 2, 2009
SouthEast MI
i recently started my project build and its gone great so far, but the one thing bothering me is what i should do with all the nuts and bolts? i had everything powdercoated and i was gonna start puting some stuff together the other day, but then i relized my nuts were really ugly :D . ive heard of just getting them zinc coated...what are other options

i recently started my project build and its gone great so far, but the one thing bothering me is what i should do with all the nuts and bolts? i had everything powdercoated and i was gonna start puting some stuff together the other day, but then i relized my nuts were really ugly :D . ive heard of just getting them zinc coated...what are other options

There is a guy on eBay called stainless bolts or something that sells complete bolt kits for almost all quads dirtbikes and streetbikes. The kits are stainless hand polished and come labeled in seperate bags. If you wanna get new bolts. The kits are like 110 bucks.

heres a link
YAMAHA BLASTER 475PC POLISHED STAINLESS BOLT KIT ATV:eBay Motors (item 370283996888 end time Dec-01-09 13:00:04 PST)

Last edited by a moderator:
If they are stainless steel then you dont want them, stainless will strip out easily since it is so soft

some people dont; trust the stainless for suspension parts.. i've nver had a problem but i have buddies that refuse to use stainless on suspension.. the shear strength of stainless is less than a normal steel bolt.. my arguemnt with them always is.. the shock is there to soften that hit.. so those bolts should take very little abuse.. if those bolts are breaking you have other problems. i can;t see a stainless bolt being any weaker shear wise than a stock yamaha bolt..

If they are stainless steel then you dont want them, stainless will strip out easily since it is so soft
strip out is the wrong term.. first of all i was told all allen head stainless bolts are hardened.. second of all what you are refering to is called "galling" this is when you have a stainless to stainless connection.. the threads need to be greased a bit or you can use what they call antigalling compound. if assembled correctly you will have no problems with galling..

i am talking about stripping the head, or a nut or anything, not the threads. Do you mean a box head when a allen head? Because not alot of large bolts are allen head heads on bikes.

There is a guy on eBay called stainless bolts or something that sells complete bolt kits for almost all quads dirtbikes and streetbikes. The kits are stainless hand polished and come labeled in seperate bags. If you wanna get new bolts. The kits are like 110 bucks.

heres a link
YAMAHA BLASTER 475PC POLISHED STAINLESS BOLT KIT ATV:eBay Motors (item 370283996888 end time Dec-01-09 13:00:04 PST)

thats where i got my set. And i have all Hex head bolts in my engine,that i just took out and replaced them with stainless,polished hex head bolts.I like them no problems at all,just gotta use anti sieze.

Last edited by a moderator:
so they worked pretty good for you then huh....wont they be prone to rust after a while? my buddy just told me a guy he knows of that will do like 2 buckets of nuts and bolts and whatever you can fit in 2 buckets for a flat rate of 60 bucks to have them zinc'ed...includes a color dye too if i wanted. pros cons to that?

yea they work great for me,havent stripped or galled a bolt or screw yet. Plus i always use the right tools for the job. Im not to sure about Zinc'd bolt bc ive never used them. So my opinions would only be that,opinions.

no signs of rust yet? even though there polished they would still rust after being out in the elements for so long tho right? you got any pics of your stuff posted anywhere?

no signs of rust yet? even though there polished they would still rust after being out in the elements for so long tho right? you got any pics of your stuff posted anywhere?

nope i havent seen any rust on them at all,i always washed my blater after each ride. I sold the blasty that had them...but i do have a set sitting right here in my room ready to go in the motor,what pics of those?

bolts001.jpg

bolts002.jpg

im buying the full set of like 475 pieces for like 100$..comes with everything except upper a-arms bolts,swinger bolt,and foot peg bolts,but those i already have.