Went riding today and broke my lightened flywheel! Look at the pics!!

I'm sending one to Kor soon myself. Was this on the bike with the plus 4 timing?? How did you like throttle response and everything with+4 and lightend fly wheel..i mean other than the implode.. did it work well for you??? I'm looking to do the same thing,+4 advance and lightened fly wheel together.. sux that that happened on you...sorry to hear that..

It definetly revs faster. I like it. My motor runs like a 4 stroke. There is a LOT of power all the way through. In fact you can't even feel it hit powerband cause it's got so much all the way through.

Sweet I'm sold.. Haha.I:I :eek: i run in the higher rpm so I'm not to concerned with low rpm staling so the quicker she gets me there the better.. I'm curious in how thin it was to torque itself to explode.. unless the screws and magnet came loose and jammed it up.. either way you got some pep in that motorI:I. Seems like only pros in my book no cons. i know when i cut rotors for a car i can only go so thin.. seems like Ken knows when enough is enough.. shoot i just looked at my fly wheel on my one bike, if i just took the rust off it,,it would be at least 2 grams if not more lighter lol.. you figure that leak out on the intake on the shee?

I got the leak fixed. I can't get it to spark now. I had to take a break from it. It was getting a little to frustrating. I'll get it figured out soon though.

what is the con of a girl with a set of double D's ? I:I
greater chance of you getting a black eye ? :eek:

some things come with all the cons already built in, and any improvement is all pro !

Weapons of mass distraction awk I think that's a t-shirt saying somewhere :D

It woulda made a funny paper weight if you jb welded it back together and kept it as a gag

The funny thing is the guy made two of them for us. The other one is still on the orange/black bike. We inspected it yesterday and all was good.

there has to be some con? everything has a con

Well, you just saw the biggest con, decreased reliability.
Engine tends to over-rev more easily too, so decreased crank reliability.
Decreased traction is another problem as well. I have added weights to my MX engines for increased tractability.

My best guess is that thinning the face weakened it. It is the metal removed from the outer diameter that makes the largest difference.

It definetly revs faster. I like it. My motor runs like a 4 stroke. There is a LOT of power all the way through. In fact you can't even feel it hit powerband cause it's got so much all the way through.

WHAT? Runs like a 4 stroke? It cannot cause it to suck that badly, does it? :)
Typically adding weight to the flywheel tends to give the slower power delivery typical of a 4 stroke, and added weight softens up the powerband hit and gain traction.

Steve

Decreased traction is another problem as well. I have added weights to my MX engines for increased tractability.

My best guess is that thinning the face weakened it. It is the metal removed from the outer diameter that makes the largest difference.

Typically adding weight to the flywheel tends to give the slower power delivery typical of a 4 stroke, and added weight softens up the powerband hit and gain traction.

Steve

I say it runs like a 4 stroke cause it has a ton of bottom end. I can punch it in the bottom of third gear and it stands right up. I don't have to get in the power band to wheelie. I'm going to experiment with a bigger carb to see if it takes some bottom end away and makes the powerband hit a little harder.

Steve

would it be good for dunes, the engine tends to lose alot of power and the sand lugs the crap out of the engine

That is amazingly gnarly!!! I'm curious if it had more to due with heat fatigue from the machinist than the amount of material being removed... I'm curious if that's why o'connor has a good track record, by taking care keeping it cool in the process.

That is amazingly gnarly!!! I'm curious if it had more to due with heat fatigue from the machinist than the amount of material being removed... I'm curious if that's why o'connor has a good track record, by taking care keeping it cool in the process.

Not heat fatigue, does not get anywhere near hot enough for that.
If metal bends repeatedly, it will fatigue and crack. It has to thick enough to not bend.

Steve

When you checked the other one did you happen to check and see if the screws were tight and there was new glue.? That's if he even took the magnets out. Do you have any other pictures of what's left? Like where the magnets were or were they all still attached??

When you checked the other one did you happen to check and see if the screws were tight and there was new glue.? That's if he even took the magnets out. Do you have any other pictures of what's left? Like where the magnets were or were they all still attached??

We removed the magnets before we gave them to him. We numbered them and put them back in the same spot. We used loctite on the screws and the flywheel was still intact. I will take some pictures of the one on the orange/black bike. This was done at the same time and same exact way. That one shows no stress cracks or any other signs of wear.