Using a Line lock with hydraulic rear brakes

Luni

Sep 9, 2009
Layton, UT
www.celicatech.com
I have this issue. Where I ride, I pretty much need to have a parking brake. I dont always have a place to park thats totally flat, and leaving my blaster in gear, if the hill is steep enough, it will just roll anyway.

I use my parking brake all the time, but Im doing a front hydraulic conversion with YFZ 450 twin pot calipers, and Im really considering an AWK rear GSXR conversion but I need a parking brake.

So I thought about it and was wondering if anyone has ever used some sort of line lock as a parking brake. The basic concept is you step on the rear brake (or if you put it on the fronts, just pull the lever) to clamp the calipers down, then you flip the switch on the line lock and it holds the pressure so the brake stays actuated.

Youd have to use a mechanical one as the electronic ones would require a battery, but honestly guys, how feasible does this sound? And has anyone ever done anything like this?

**EDIT** Ive been researching and I cant find a smaller line lock type device, but I know how I can make one, I just need the basis for the part.

My idea goes like this. A hydraulic plunger style device with an in port and an out port that can be manipulated so fluid can be locked in the cylinder by moving the plunger.

I even thought about going so far as to make it work with the stock ebrake cable so to initiate the brake Id hit the rear brake pedal, then pull the clutch and the brake button which would move the hydraulic plunger and maybe put a spring loaded mechanism on it so when I release the brake the plunger springs back to open and the brake system flows.

What I need help with would be finding something that would be suitable to use for this application. Something the size of a brake master cylinder (without the fluid reservoir) or similiar would be ideal.

ON a totally flip side, what about the idea of making a spring loaded device that will hold the brake pedal down thats operated by a cable. So, for example theres some sort of a device that will obstruct the brake pedals return back up, thus keeping pressure on the rear brakes when the device is active, but when it isnt, the pedal moves up and down freely. Hell, to be honest, this would be far easier to make than a hydraulic system lock I think.

Ideas anyone? I just want to find a way to keep pressure on the rear caliper when Im parked, that has a simple method of activation and deactivation, thats simple and reliable. Im open for ANY ideas to be honest.

Last edited:
If you use the mastercylinder and fluid cup mounting brackets from AWK and get an 03+ carrier you can use a regular hydaulic brake caliper which has a cable parking brake built into the back of it. Under normal use the hydaulic piston is moved when you step on the pedal. When you pull the parking brake cable, a small boss off the back of the piston is pushed by a cam mechanism hooked to a cable.

/\/\/\ agreed
03+ blaster, banshee and ???? > yfz rear calipers will have this cable operated park brake
simplest solution IMO

Awk, most all of the sport quads use the exact same "nissin" rear caliper, all of the jap quads at least.

New OEM rear Brake Caliper Honda TRX 250x 300ex 400ex | eBay

The caliper you want should look like that one with the bracket hanging off the back of it for the cable to slide into.

I know that the banshees, warriors, 300ex, 400ex, kfx400, ltz400, and 03+ blasters use the same caliper. I would suspect that a lot more of the jap quads (including most of the 450's) would use it too.

Do you have a 03+ carrier?

Last edited by a moderator:
wasnt trying to be sarcastic or unhelpful, just thought you needed something quick to get you by .....my bad. good luck with the fabbing

Last edited:
Guys, I dont want ways AROUND my issue, Im looking for assistance thinking of a way to use AWKs rear setup while still retaining some sort of parking brake. I dont want to use a velcro strap. I dont want to "turn the front tires" I dont want to stake the ground.

In the end, if I cant make it work, I guess Ill just use the setup siccivicdude was talking about.

Without hacking into hydaulic lines and using a needle valve or something similar to hold back the fluid pressure I don't think there IS a good way to do what you're talking about.

Also remember that line lock devices are not designed to be used for very long either. if they leak 5% in one minute that's perfectly acceptable as they're only used for a few seconds and then released. If you use something that leaks 5% of the fluid pressure in one minute for a parking brake "lock" you're quad is going to roll away in 20 minutes!

I'm sure something could be fabbed for the rear pedal. It would need to kick down and sit between the MC and pedal.

If you try to make something for the front brakes, you're basically resorting to velcro around the handle...

But the 88-02 parking brake works by pulling the cable tight (to engage the brakes) like how the parking brake cable on the 03+ hydraulic brake caliper works.

What he needs is something that "pushes" the brake pedal down to keep the hydraulic pressure on the caliper.

Or something that keeps the handle pried back on the fronts. Id be fine with either one.

I know theres smart guys on here who like to do stuff custom and make it work. This is the kind of help I was looking for.

I like the idea of figuring a way to hold the front brakes (because there are two calipers doing the holding) but for a parking brake, the rear is probably easier to fabricate and less likely to get in the way while riding.

If you're using a modified 88-02 brake pedal assembly (with extension welded to the pedal but otherwise unmolested) you could make a small bracket which could flip down from the small pieces of round (which make up the "guard"). It could be bent in such a way that it flips up and over to sit on top of the round but when it's flipped down, it would sit on top of the shank of the pedal and keep it depressed.

Think maybe you could draw something up for me? I was thinking that, or drilling a hole through the peg, and the pedal where it pivots and just have something obstruct its motion back up so if depressed, it stays depressed if something is inserted into the hole.

Just a thought, But have you looked at street bike brake lever. I'm not positive but I think I remember seeing a lever lock on a hydro front brake for parking. IDK if that's idea you might consider or not.

:eek: I think this is funny:D Most work to get rid of B.S. If you booger up something to hold the brake be sure it can't accidentaly "set" it'sself :eek: If the hill is so steep that first gear won't hold it don't park on it I:I, or park sideways.

Always employ the K.I.S.S. principal, keep it simple stupid.I:I