Trying My Hand at making a +03 Hood Mold

dnoftz

Aug 9, 2011
Fremont OH
Ok so was siting around board and got to thinking. I can Make my own +03 hood mold and make My own hoods. Wther it bee plastic or fiber glass.
So Here is my start. started taking pics after I started sorry. So what I did is take a 03 hood lined it with Aluminum foil. Got a few cans of spray foam and started spraying it.
0516021935.jpg
[/IMG]

Had to let that get put the news print in so I chuld press down on it and get it in the corners.

This is the second can of spray foam.
0516022054b.jpg
[/IMG]

This is after it has started setting still needs to dry over night.
0516022054.jpg
[/IMG]
0516022054a.jpg
[/IMG]

After it is all dry and nice and hard I will separate the foil then the fun starts.
Have to and it down smooth it out and fix any sots that re not flat Put a thin coat of Bondo on it the I will be ready to do so glassing

Reactions: yamaha28
I use to build custom fiberglass and resin speaker pods. I think Im actually not going to use fiberglass on the first one. I am going to wrap it with fleece material and Use fiberglass resin and put 2 cotes. I have made a lot of kick panels like this and it makes it more like plastic and holds up to abuse good.

^ same here. that would be your best bet would be to make a fleece/resin copy. then gel coat it, and use that as a mold to make reproductions. also you might get cleaner results by using a reverse mold process. the only way to go would be fiberglass or fleece resin, to do lexan/ppe/urethane youd have to take the mold to a injection mold company. thats going to get really expensive really fast like 100+ per hood...hmmmm i believe i know a guy who does twin layer carbonfiber if you were interested, prob be between 50-75 a hood. hes on jbody.org, bigpoppa. he does amazing carbon and glass work.