The YFZ Animal

Henry

Apr 27, 2014
So I've been working on a build just for fun. I've always wanted a 450 to play with and i found a guy that fragged one and didn't have the cash to fix it. the carnage is as follows:

total bottom end failure:
seized lower rod bearing
cracked connecting rod at the wrist pin
oil pump gears stripped
crank bearings seized
waterpump impeller blades broken
waterpump shaft sheared off
oil screen collapsed and sucked up in to itself
tons of debris all through the bottom end

Total top end failure:
valve bent
piston gouged and scarred
jug plating completely gone

and here are a few pics. just started it a couple weeks ago so bear with me on this build. i will post pics as i get her done. the build list includes
07 oil pump and oil upgrade from J.T.
565 minatour kit
miller racing port polish and head job
6" widening arms and axle
kibble white valves and double valve springs
hot cams stage 3 cams
new graphics
and i'm sure a few others that I've forgotten

Reactions: speedyslyder
current pics as its starting to go back together

the parts pile is starting to go down, just gotta get the time to finish up the motor assymbley. Darn jobs always get in the way, will keep you guys updated

lookin good so far, for the toast you started with :)

Youcan see in the pics on the assembly that I actually had to split and put back the case 3 times. Its a huge stroke compared to the original and it took a little dremmel work to fuzz off a few places to get the clearance for the crank to spin freely. I may go back and touch up the paint after im done molesting it cause it will bother me if I dont. I was most shocked at the counter balance that came with the kit, I bet its twice the weight of the ole stocker. Ive seen 501/508/526 kits on youtube and forums but this is the first 565 minitour kit ive ever seen or heard of. Just hope it holds together cause lord knows im gonna test it out. Lol hope to see mid 60's when I stick it on the dyno when im done. Gonna be a few weeks on the build time. Its a crapload of cash to do all this and the wifey has given me a paycheck by paycheck budget.

im sure it is a lot of dough,but good investment,looks like you still got some toys to ride in the mean time nice to see you on here again:D

Oh yea still got 3 that get ridden every weekend and my personal favorite is blastnasterous. Ride my lil blasty every single weekend and rip up the trails. In the bare frame pic im actually sitting on the seat of it to take the pic. This prodject is the reason I havent started my blaster restoration/rebuild. I figure since it runs awesome and rides great I may as well start on the one thats not running first. The ole blaster is next and then the 2 50cc scramblers for my lil boy after that. By next spring I should have all my rides fully restored to mint condition or better. I figure about a month or a lil bit longer and this one should be back on the trail. Waiting on my lower gasket set to arrive and the bottom end will be back together. Hope by the end of the weekend to have completed lower pics

20140703_152120.jpg
20140703_152129.jpg
20140703_151804.jpg

Some carnage pics. The others were to big, I will link them from photobucket when I get back home from my desktop. To hard to do it from my phone

wow, looks like a big project.

if you dont mind me asking, could you do a running tab of prices?

myself and others like to compare fixing a blaster to fixing fourstrokes.
and this is a perfect example of a rebuild (as far as damage) that would be about the same as a skirt dropping off a piston for a blaster

Having had to totally rebuild my blaster I can tell you for certain that this one is gonna be no comparison as prices are concerned. 450's use plated cylinders which are not able to be bored. They can however be resleaved but not for any cost saving relatively speaking. The cylinder is a great example on this quad for price comp. The 565 kit comes with a 101mm ice cube cylinder at a basement bargain price of 800$. You can buy an entire running blaster motor off a parts bike for 200$ and send it to ken and with about 600$ in work and boltons you have a finished motor in the mid 30's hp.

Minatour kit for crank and bearings and top end 2300$
water pump impeller high flow 50$
Oil mod/upgrade with high flow pump and additional jets to spray oil directly on the crank and piston 200$
Water pump shaft and bearings and seals 75$
Heavy duty oversize crank bearings 75$
Gasket set 80$
Oversize radiator to compensate for thelarge bore and heat 375$
Aftermarket oil tank with cooling fins to help cool the oil 150$ (the oil on a yfz 450 is not held inside the motor its held in a remote tank directly below the radiator and circulated outside the engine block)
and thats what ive spent so far. Got about another 2000 to drop in it yet. But it will be faster than any bike I have ever ridden and should stand in all 6 gears.
lots of money but I will have one of my dream bikes checked off my list. Any one have a 1990-92 quadzilla for sale? Lol

Should have stated in my post directly above that I considered stock and looked at prices for just a stock rebuild. Cost for the top end was about 325$ and the crank with bearings was 200$. So for a total of about 700$ with gaskets and all I could have rebuilt it to stock. But who wants a stocker bike? And I would have always wondered what it could have been. Thats why my next prodject is my blaster rebuild, cause every time I ride it I wonder what it could actually do. Ive watched every youtube vid on the flowtek blaster dusting everything from 450's to 700's and now I regret not just going ahead and dropping the cash to go big or go home. Im just cutting out the middle man this time and going big out of the gate.

got a little time tonight before work to get that parts pile started to dissapear. made a good dent in it. here's the updated shots

Ok im looking for some advice. Gonna buy cams this check and finish up the motor. Here are the issues I have; I have a stroked huge big bore motor with an agressive trail low to upper mid power port job. I am torn between stage 1 2 3 cams. Stage one is low to low mid power increase , stage 2 is mid to low upper, stage 3 is upper to WOT. With a motor already set to give massive low and mid gains would it be counter productive to increase my top with cams or not?

Having had to totally rebuild my blaster I can tell you for certain that this one is gonna be no comparison as prices are concerned. 450's use plated cylinders which are not able to be bored. They can however be resleaved but not for any cost saving relatively speaking. The cylinder is a great example on this quad for price comp. The 565 kit comes with a 101mm ice cube cylinder at a basement bargain price of 800$. You can buy an entire running blaster motor off a parts bike for 200$ and send it to ken and with about 600$ in work and boltons you have a finished motor in the mid 30's hp.

Minatour kit for crank and bearings and top end 2300$
water pump impeller high flow 50$
Oil mod/upgrade with high flow pump and additional jets to spray oil directly on the crank and piston 200$
Water pump shaft and bearings and seals 75$
Heavy duty oversize crank bearings 75$
Gasket set 80$
Oversize radiator to compensate for thelarge bore and heat 375$
Aftermarket oil tank with cooling fins to help cool the oil 150$ (the oil on a yfz 450 is not held inside the motor its held in a remote tank directly below the radiator and circulated outside the engine block)
and thats what ive spent so far. Got about another 2000 to drop in it yet. But it will be faster than any bike I have ever ridden and should stand in all 6 gears.
lots of money but I will have one of my dream bikes checked off my list. Any one have a 1990-92 quadzilla for sale? Lol

I got a 87 zilla project for sale lol

Ok im looking for some advice. Gonna buy cams this check and finish up the motor. Here are the issues I have; I have a stroked huge big bore motor with an agressive trail low to upper mid power port job. I am torn between stage 1 2 3 cams. Stage one is low to low mid power increase , stage 2 is mid to low upper, stage 3 is upper to WOT. With a motor already set to give massive low and mid gains would it be counter productive to increase my top with cams or not?

not knowing much about 4 poker mods, stage 2 sounds to match your existing target with that engine