The "best" cylinder!!!

joeak47

Apr 21, 2012
Northern NEVADA!
Well,.... other than paint and putting the studs back in,what do you think? Its my "Aggresive Desert" port along with a
"19.5CC Toroidal head" and "19CC Hemi head".

A happy little group...
000_4738.jpg

Intake...
000_4734.jpg

Exhaust...
000_4735.jpg

Tranfers...
000_4726.jpg

Over all shot...
000_4710.jpg

Re-lapped head sealing surface and counter sunk stud holes. No leaks here!...
000_4715.jpg

The outside of the re-lapped exhaust port. No leaks here! Nice and flat.
000_4709.jpg

Exhaust port from the inside shows proper chamfering...
000_4720.jpg

The tranfers were gasket matched to a "Factory OEM" base gasket. Its pretty wild how the amount of excess aluminum varies cylinder to cylinder. Sometimes the transfers look relatively decent to start with,and other times your wondering if it was cast on a monday or friday. Ken Oconnor called it "Snot" in his porting videos. This describes it PERFECTLY! SNOT!

Stock transfer ports... These aren't terrible to start with. I've seen much worse.
000_4730.jpg

Dykem'ed and scribing the lines... I use a "Fatory OEM" base gasket when scribing these lines. The factory gaskets can't be beat for consistency. Purchase 100 of these things,and they're exactly the same regardless when they were made. After you finish with the cylinder,use the same gasket,and scribe lines on your engine case. Then "Blend and match" the case to the scribed lines you made. This matches the cylinder transfer ports to the engine case and eliminates any mis-match,or stair step between the two,which robs power. In your head think "speed bump". By the way..."port matching" the case can be done whith the engine assembled. Its just much more involved. If your lazy about cleanliness forget it.
000_4722.jpg

Here you can see the difference... It doesn't look like much in the picture,but when its in front of you its much more apparent.
000_4723.jpg

This is after the initial cutting but with some blending. When you start getting close to the edge of the actual cylinder bore ...slow down. I prefer to leave a very small margine (about 1/32 of an inch). Don't knife edge it.
000_4732.jpg

Here is another of the exhaust port. The finish is smooth to help prevent the build up of combustion bi-products (carbon). This is really noticeable when you use quality 2 stroke oils. Does it improve exhaust flow? It can't hurt,but I believe the biggest benefit is reduced carbon build up. Also,when ever you remove the cylinder for routine inspections,you'll be happy that you are using quality oil,because all the parts look like they were just cleaned.

000_4716.jpg

Here is a slightly different angle of the reed box. I'm trying to show the lapped sealing surface where the reed gasket seals. When you take off your cylinder,its a good idea to lap the head sealing surface,exhaust sealing surface,and the reed box sealing surface. I see a lot of you guys using RTV silicone sealant on the reed gaskets,head gaskets,and exhaust gaskets. If you have to use that stuff to seal things up,then there is something wrong! you will want to check the flatness of these surfaces. You should NEVER need that stuff. A gasket is all thats required. No goop!
000_4705.jpg

Here is how you keep things "Clean" when matching tranfer ports to an assembled engine. You have to be clean,clean,clean!
7325-engine-had-its-tranfer-ports-aggresive-trail-ported-cylinder-matched-engine-case-while-engine-assembled-while-still-installed-frame-can-done-also-works-very-well-why-cheat-yourself-out-power-cylinder-can-produce-took-longer-prepareand-tape-than-actually-cut-blend-cutting-blending-took-about-7-minutes-some-cases-require-alot-material-removed-some-very-little.jpg

7324-picture-shows-how-you-must-properly-tape-opening-case-prevent-aluminum-chips-entering-case-job-already-completed-photo.jpg

This cylinder with one of these re-designed heads is going to make a blaster do just that... BLAST (off)! Blasters become "Crazy Fun" when you more than double they're horsepower. The best part is that the reliability is still there!

Some of my future projects will include ... Building an yamaha "Auto Lube" oil injection model/jig/explanation thingy,how to cut boost ports in a piston (an old trinity racing thing), showing you how to make a boysen port drilling jig,and how to make some of your own porting tools. However,I have some other irons in the fire to take care of first. Stay tuned...

Last edited:
Joe,

It's always a real treat, when you post. Most of the time, you post some real good pictures and info on the work. And the work looks great.

Thanks,

Sporty

great looking work Joe,
how much more time, effort and skill did it take to have that port work looking so clean, uniform and smooth ? I:I
versus looking like Fred Flinstone did it with 2 rocks down at the quarry :eek:

i live by using RTV black on all my gaskets. just my way of building things and peace of mind knowing i wont spring an airleak way out on a trail or at the track. the motor work you did looks amazing dude have some greens brother

Awesome looking work. How much time do you have in porting the cylinder, matching the cases/cylinder and cutting a head? Are you still using those templates for porting, if so have you found improvements that you now incorporate into your porting? I looked at them and they were on sale for $59.00 but (like always) I drug my feet and didn't get a set.

The cylinder and heads look Freakin awesome man!!

i like the idea of making a jig to drill boyesen ports, aswell i have not read much on the boost ports in the pistons but i am interested in the idea.

Good Stuff!!

I'll get some paint on it really,really soon and the studs back in. That blaster is going to HONK! This porting gives great low end torque,and screams all the way up! The mid range is a nice solid punch that pulls and pulls,and stretches your arms a bit. :D I run the DMC Alien pipe,and is match very well to that pipe. Everybody keeps saying that the DMC Alien is a low end pipe. I don't see or feel that. To me it feels more like a mid pipe with lots of top end added. It also works awesome on a FMF Fatty. I'm very happy with this set up on my blaster,and can still run premium pump gas without detonation. I also run the oil injection with zero issues.

This works great if you like to run trails and woods really fast,but also like having decent low end grunt to take care of the technical stuff.

Here are some pictures with it painted and all the studs back in...

Best and Triplecrown421,please let me know how well it works in comparison to your other blasters..

100_3981.jpg

100_3980.jpg

100_3978.jpg

100_3982.jpg

100_3983.jpg

awesome work Joe !
can't wait for a ride report.
but where's your biggest critic in this thread, not even one post ?
hmmmmm :)

awesome work Joe !
can't wait for a ride report.
but where's your biggest critic in this thread, not even one post ?
hmmmmm :)

Its still early. Give it time. I'm sure there will be multiple theories on why my work doesn't work. :D Just for the record... EVERYTHING I do, I test on my own bike in the real world,and know for a fact that it works VERY well. Theories (also known as a guess) only go so far. I absolutely will not stop experimenting on the BLASTER! When I actually get some time,I will be cutting a piston boost port and will give a ride report,and possibly another video on how to do it at home. After that it will be the "boysen port jig"... How to make one,and use it. My blaster cylinder "Cut Away learning tool" will help alot with that one..

After that it will be the "boysen port jig"... How to make one,and use it. My blaster cylinder "Cut Away learning tool" will help alot with that one..

i know someone who fabbed/has one of them and i've seen it in action, makes it a no brainer !!!
if you look closely in some of his early vids, you can see it hanging on the wall behind the porting bench...
ssshhhhhhh I:I