Stock A-arm ball joint greasing!

slickerthanyou

Dec 23, 2009
Ok, figure i work on the blasty today, get the new wheel bearings in check all the balljoints/tierods grease them all up and start fresh! I couldn't do a vid, so I took pics! Haven't ever heard of anyone actually refilling them I think it's pretty important to do if you are doing a rebuild or complete teardown especially if ya ride in water and soupy mud alot! Took me literally after disassembled 20 minutes that included changing a boot that had a tear in it.

This is the tools to do it grease gun and needle adapter can be found at any harware or auto shop place-

86701ae1.jpg

Start with a colapsed boot check for tears or holes, all good-

385298c3.jpg

Take the needle adapter slide it between the boot lip and the steel stud being careful not to push too hard and push the needle through the boot!-

68859b39.jpg

It took me two and a half pumps- I pump until i see some old/new mixed grease come out that way i know there is fresh stuff all in there
Now this is what it looks like full! Much better!-

8cde3e62.jpg

Then I take my finger and push at a downwards motion all around the boot to expel any air stuck in the boot, rotate the stud 360 degrees and work the new grease in the joint, wipe off any excess with a rag and ready to go!

c80eb056.jpg

This shows the tierod on on the right is empty, one on the left is full!
710d7c67.jpg

good stuff slickers

i'll add...........i've always just punched the needle straight thru the rubber boot if ya don't wanna disassemble it, been doin that for years and havent noticed any ill effects

good stuff slickers

i'll add...........i've always just punched the needle straight thru the rubber boot if ya don't wanna disassemble it, been doin that for years and havent noticed any ill effects

Actually that is what the needle is designed for, primarily bearings with seals, such as front wheels (hint, hint) I:I The rubber is somewhat self healing.

?? has anyone ever tried to drill and tap a grease fitting into the a-arms/tie rods?

from the pics i've seen on here, of someone cutting these apart for ball joint replacement, i don't think a zerk on the backside is gonna put the grease where it's needed, on the stud side ???
nor does it look like theres room for the threads to stick in, or the cap even thick enuf to even thread ??? \/\/

http://www.blasterforum.com/suspension-14/so-i-got-bored-tried-43013/

Last edited:
from the pics i've seen on here, of someone cutting these apart for ball foint replacement, i don't think a zerk on the backside is gonna put the grease where it's needed, on the stud side ???
nor does it look like theres room for the threads to stick in, or the cap thick enuf to even thread ??? \/\/

http://www.blasterforum.com/suspension-14/so-i-got-bored-tried-43013/
youre right, i was only thinking if you ride quite a bit then the holes in the boot might become a problem. after you greased yours, did you notice any seepage from where the needle went in?

youre right, i was only thinking if you ride quite a bit then the holes in the boot might become a problem. after you greased yours, did you notice any seepage from where the needle went in?

only to release the pressure from over filling them. after that i never noticed anything
those arms are were on my bike for over 2 seasons, and now on my sons this past season, still good to go

i'd say you have a better chance of damaging the boot during removal, than the very small hole created by the needle, that apparently seals itself back up

of course if you have them apart already, slicks method above is the way to go, but who wants to split everything a few times each season

just my .02

only to release the pressure from over filling them. after that i never noticed anything
those arms are were on my bike for over 2 seasons, and now on my sons this past season, still good to go

i'd say you have a better chance of damaging the boot during removal, than the very small hole created by the needle, that apparently seals itself back up

of course if you have them apart already, slicks method above is the way to go, but who wants to split everything a few times each season

just my .02

Have to agree, However I do not plan on poking holes in the boot. I'm not buying that reseal thing. Would make life alot simpler if yamaha would have spent the extra $1 and put a zerk fitting on them, but then they probably wouldn't of sold as many new ones!

Sure would like a set of aftremarkets......someday! I:I