Some new stuff!

You may be wise, but being a smart@$$ is usually my job :cool::p

So, more news with the steering stem.

I bought a 2' piece of that iron pipe. Im going to cut the stem right in the middle, its far enough away from the clamping area that it wont interfere.

I plan to run the black pipe through the whole stem, so i never have to worry about bending it :D

Reactions: dirtysquared
I plan to run the black pipe through the whole stem, so i never have to worry about bending it :D

thats overkill herp and going to weigh a ton.
3-4 inches into each stock section is more than sufficient.
stems bend between the top frame clamp and the bar clamp when they do, unless that top clamp breaks in a crash, there is no way for the center "trapped" section to bend.
it's also possible the stem near the bar clamp is designed to bend in a crash, so the frame doesn't,
same as grab bars ?

even if it does bend, used stems are a dime a dozen on ebay.

ps........ be sure you have some way to keep the bottom flag and the bar clamp perfectly aligned while welding,
or you may find yourself riding in circles :eek:
and as good as you think you are, expect to do tie rod adjustments when done

good point. Although, giz told me the extra weight might help the front end to stay down :rolleyes:

I plan to use a straightedge to make a line from top to bottom. When i weld it, i plan to use C-clamps and tighten it into a piece of angle iron to be straight as possible.

Do you think it would be better to have the new piece in the middle, or as low as possible?

good point. Although, giz told me the extra weight might help the front end to stay down :rolleyes:

I plan to use a straightedge to make a line from top to bottom. When i weld it, i plan to use C-clamps and tighten it into a piece of angle iron to be straight as possible.

Do you think it would be better to have the new piece in the middle, or as low as possible?

straight edge and angle iron...good stuff !

i think mine is spliced right above 1/2 way, i had to stay higher to not interfere with my steering stabilizer mount on the stem.
i see no advantage to any specific area, it's all trapped between the bottom and top mounts and should never see any side to side pressures

not likely, the stem is shorter than you think, like under 24 inches.
the bars or tie rods will bend before the stem twists

confidence in your equipment is huge, if you're really worried....don't do it,
weld the angle iron to it :eek:
or - build a solid chro-mo stem like my white bike has

Im fine with doing it, it will be as strong as stock length, other than the ground getting more leverage to bend the stem.

I doubt my fatbars will bend...

How much does a chrome pipe like that cost? And do you use the stock bottom part on it, or make a new one?

Also, im not worried about rolling it... i havent even come close. I should be more worried about bending my grab bar and sub frame

If you know what i mean...

Got my CFM today, really excited until i tried to mount it....

They will be getting an email from me shortly

The mounting point for this one was cut off, but its not even CLOSE to where it was...

that round aluminum on the right side sits between the top tube and the lower angled tube. it wedges in that corner. the oil bottle mount was cut off of my frame as well from the po. i welded on a tab i from another frame. if i was to do it again, i would make a couple brackets or something and mount it off the seat latch support.

Seriously? its made to sit in there? not bolt to something?
ot sots on the one side and bolts to tje other side. but since your bracket is gone, you have to make a way to bolt it on. check out my build pics in the engine swap section. i think there is one showing how i mounted mine.