snapped oil release bolt. need help.

2g00d4u

Apr 22, 2010
Smithville, ON, Canada
So I was trying to get the oil release bolt off my Moto4 to get the oil out, and its tighter than a vietnamese prostitute, I rounded it off completely trying to get it off. How the hell does it get that tight?! I got the nut removers out, I meant business this time, and after a few strings of cusses, and pushing with everything I have, snapped the head right off the inch thick bolt. What the hell! seriously? what am I supposed to do now? Its like it was welded in there.

Now my filter and the threads of the bolt and the filter spring with O ring are in there.

and suggestions?

they sell easy out bolt removers where you drill a hole part of the way through and then put the attachment in the end of your drill and put it in reverse and then it starts to back out the broken bolt...

Be very careful with easy outs though, they are hardened steel, if it breaks off in the bolt, you are pretty much screwed.

those hardly work on a bolts and screws that are more than "snug"...i doubt they'll work with a bolt that was broke off after tremendous force...

1 thing i would try is heat it up a little ....map gas from lowes if you have no other kinds of torches. if its possible on that motor.... then put those extractors in there and give it a try...might not work but its worth a shot before going to the next step

First off a Charlie whore is not tight. Second how did you round it off? Not using the right tool?

First off a Charlie whore is not tight. Second how did you round it off? Not using the right tool?

I was using the right tool, thanks. 18mm socket. it kept slipping off because I had an extension on it because the bolt is in an awkward space. it eventually lost its hexagonness and I used vice grips and pipe wrenches after that with the thought I could just get another bolt once I get it off.

whether it was the right tool or not doesn't make a difference at this point.
niether does your experience with a fat whore.

wow you are angry.
i bet you were also using a 12 point socket and too long of an extension.

do this, go buy a new craftsman 1/2" extension. weld it to the bolt, make sure the welds are good. then take a 1/2" drive and twist it out. once out, heat up the extension and twist it up. take it back for a new one.
or if you have an old craftsman 1/2" extension just use it and get a new one.
dont use a super long one, the shorter the better.

I'm not angry, I was a bit annoyed because I know how to find the right socket, but its past the point of being able to twist out.

I'm between just building over it (drilling it out and retapping it) or attempting to remove it and buying a new cap. If I don't remove it, I'll never be able too clean my oil filter ever again.

If the head is snapped flush your best bet is to drill and tap. Is it just a drain bolt, or is the filter part of the bolt?