Shredded Piston

cyphertext69

Sep 30, 2007
Leonardtown, (Southern) Maryland
Hello everyone. So one week from Sunday (Oct 7) I bought a 2001 Blaster. It had an oil leak coming out of the right hand crankcase. I ordered the part from www.yamahaaccy.com. With a 4 day weekend coming, I waited and got inpatient and bought a "cut your own gasket" material (today is Oct 9 and the part still isn't here). I put it on Friday afternoon, everything was perfect. Rode all day Saturday after rejetting and rebuilding the Carb. Didn't ride Sunday. Yesterday, I went to start the blaster and it took more than last time to start. Well, I choked the carb and all of sudden fuel came from everywhere in the exhaust pipe (head, silencer, and joint). I cleaned it up because I thought I flooded it. I was putting around on it and was about a mile from my house when all of a sudden my blaster stopped. I immediately checked fuel level, 3/4 tank. I then thought, it must be the float again. I tried to kick it back over and it seized on me. I couldn't believe it! I thought for sure the rings were stuck to the sides because I wasn't really riding fast and it was hot.

Well, I didn't push it back the entire mile but I did go get my truck to tow it back. Finally got it back and started tearing it apart. When I took off the exhaust pipe, there were pieces of metal in the pipe that fell out. I took the head off, then the lower head. Well when I got there, there were large pieces of metal sitting under the piston on either side of the crank. I took the piston off and started to research what it should look like.

After research was complete, I closely inspected my piston, much to my suprise, the entire intake side of the piston was lying in my crank!!!

Now that I have the blaster torn down to nothing, I have found that out what I have though:

(edited) Stock Head 66mm (not bored)
Vito's Performance Piston and rings
28mm Carb
V-Force Reeds and Reed Cage
White Bros Clutch
White Bros Front Suspension
White Bros Rear Suspension
14 tooth Sprocket
Polished Rear Aluminum Rims
Holeshot tires
(TM) Oil Block Off Kit
FMF Fatty Pro
FMF PowerCore II silencer
Repacked silencer with steel wool

I am sure there is more, I just can't think of it all.

Anyone have any suggestions about this dilemma I am in?

Last edited:
yeah, rebuild top end lol,id bore it over if theres any scouring, take your crank apart and make sure theres no metal down there, clean it up real good, and then reassemble, use a wiseco piston too, not a vitos performance piston, i have heard they are junk

vito's piston are in fact junk, they overheat and screw sh*t up.

hows the steel wool workign for ya? i have steel wool in my LRD and it works great, just want to see if people are getting as good results as me.

can you post a picture of evreything that hapened?

dirty blaster si right, vitos suck, but any cast piston sucks only go with forged

blew my topend lol, just put a new wiseco in,it was a pain in the ass to do a break in process, but its bogging a little and i just put a new gasket on, i have a couple ideas what could be causing it but i don't have time to look at it since i have work and school

yeah i hate school, man there was this kid who's dad died in a car accident, and he wouldn't do work today so a teacher said to him your dad is going to be upset with you, and that kid jumped out of his desk and started beating the sh*t outta the teacher, it took a couple students to pull him off of the teacher. it was a f*cked up sight, the teacher even knew that his dad is dead so the teacher learned his lesson do not say anything about a parent that is ill or has died

yeah, rebuild top end lol,id bore it over if theres any scouring, take your crank apart and make sure theres no metal down there, clean it up real good, and then reassemble, use a wiseco piston too, not a vitos performance piston, i have heard they are junk

I actually called Vito's and they told me my cylinder was becoming "egg" shaped. When I measured it with my micrometer, he was right. This actually caused the problem. It will be bored .020 now.

I am going to stick with the Vito's piston, except this time, I am going with the forged.

The guy at Vito's was really nice, he told me exactly what I have to do to get it going again.

Not trying to attack you but truth be told, Wiseco makes the Vito's pistons, so if Vito's is junk, so is Wiseco and should go back to stock.

Last edited:
vito's piston are in fact junk, they overheat and screw sh*t up.

hows the steel wool workign for ya? i have steel wool in my LRD and it works great, just want to see if people are getting as good results as me.

can you post a picture of evreything that hapened?

The Steel Wool is doing great! I will try and post a picture of the metal chunks in my crank when I get home.

so what made your cylinder egg shaped? how can others prevent it from happening.

so what made your cylinder egg shaped? how can others prevent it from happening.

Apparently, during operation the piston naturally wants to rock towards the intake side. Well when this happens, it creates slack between the cylinder and the piston. This all occurs naturally, which is why we bore them out every so often and the sleeve is replacable.

Prevention is done by rebuilding the engine. For my engine it took 6 years with normal use to finally wear to that point. I guess it all depends on how hard and often you ride it.

It only take a few thousandsth (.00x) to make this happen.