Serious Rear Axle Problem?

trapper 1306

May 30, 2009
Scranton, Pa
I went to replace my rear axle bearings today. I took the big nuts off and the caliper off, but then tried to slide the sprocket off, and it was froze. The nuts were froze too but after heating with thema torch they came off easily enough. But no matter what I try I cannot get the sprocket to come off the axle..tried WD, torch, and a 10 ton press.. What the hell is going on?!:-/

hehe, u said big nuts, anyway, they sprocket hub is prolly rusted on, and will be a major pain in the a$$ to get off but should be doable, i made my own puller ( giggity), then i heated it cherry red and slowly edged it off, the thing could be on there soo good that it may take some drastic measures,may have to replace some crap, just try not the bend or break any parts down there. worst case senario u would need a new axle and a new sprcket hub.

bring the sledge out and heat up that hub.....just put a 2x4 or 4x4 on the end of the axle and beat the sh!t out of it

hahah well at least we are trying the right things... but we have tried all that stuff and it will not budge..we heated it cherry red and pressed it with a 10 ton press and bent the sprocket into a dish but it would not slide off..unbelievable haha it sucks

when it comes to sh*t thats rusted fast i've always been a fan of PB blaster(not just for the name) as opposed to WD. anyways since your spocket is now bent in hlaf i would suggest using a cut-off wheel and making 3-4 slices in the spocket before trying to press it off again. keep us posted

welll, finaallly got it apart today! cutting disc grinder and 2 sledge hammers and a press eventually did the trick! it was a real b**** though took over an hour to just get the sprocket off today then another 2 hours to get the rest apart and sanded and cleaned... going back together within the next two days parts coming from ebay are here and rocky mtn are coming wed i cant wait to get back out on the blasty;]

Periodic maintenance suck as greasing the carrier and the axle splines would have prevented the problem.......

very true.... when i swapped the durablue axle from my spare carrier to my quad, i greases the axle spings, for the sproket hub, and braske hub, along with the center of the axle.. i KNOW my axle will come out smooth;y