Rebuild on the "FREE SHEE"

Well I was making good progress then of course everything went to chit! I broke a head stud torqueing down the cool head. Luckily it didn't break inside the cylinder. I don't know how this happened. The manual calls for 20 ft pounds on the head nuts. I went 10 15 20 ft pounds. The 2nd to last one broke. So I had to take the head off and get it out with a pair of vice grips. I'm going to try to go to a hardware store tomorrow instead of ordering the kit for 50 bucks. I took a lot of pictures and will be posting soon.

Coated everything really good with premix before installing.

Oiled the main bearings.

Installed pistons.

Cool head

Head installed head

And then the broken head bolt.

lookin good so far mike, besides the broken stud, be glad you caught it during assembly instead of during a ride !!!

lookin good so far mike, besides the broken stud, be glad you caught it during assembly instead of during a ride !!!

Absolutely! Not a big deal. I have plenty of other stuff to do while I'm waiting. Looking forward to the wild ride, when is it?

just remember it can always get worse few of us ever catch these moments when it it matters most. man I bet you were cussin when it happened though. o lala vf4s this bike is getting spoiled :D

Yeah it's not that big of a deal. I had to stop myself from throwing the torque wrench across the garage! My studs will be here Thursday or Friday. I got the VF4's for $200 shipped. I think it will rip.

Set backs suck but better to find the studs weren't 100% now than later causing a leak out on the trail. You're doing it right, that's something that pays off every time you take it out.

Awesome really looking forward to getting this thing back together. Did you find a clutch cover yet? Can't wait to repay the favor! :)

Hey did you keep that single carb setup? If so use it! You'll love it tuning is soooo easy then! Only one carb to tear into instead of two...

No I got rid of it. I read pros and cons about it. I'm pretty good with carbs now. Everything I read states two carbs produce more power. Also a lot of people were having problems jetting the single, they couldn't get it smooth on all circuits.

I guess i wasn't aware of any major problems with it, there is a guy down the street he runs that setup and he likes it.