rear shock length/opinions

revin-it02

Apr 29, 2010
i refuse to buy a new elka shock, they are just way to hyped and i see barely used elka shocks for other makes sell all the time for 3/8s the price of new

so, my question is whats the length of a stock rear blaster shock? and for you 250r shock guys, whats that length?

reason i ask is because i will buy an elka for another bike and have it revalved

i would measure myself, but i am not even close to my bike... im at college

not sure about the length.. but im running a 400ex rear shock and it fits up just fine with no modding. and im fairly happy with the response of it for it not being a rezzy type.

i have a 450r rear shock on my bike, perfect length, luv it !!!!
but have a trx250r on my sons, which i believe was 2 inches longer, made the bike sit way too high with the +4 swinger, like 6 inches higher at the grab bar than mine, i re-fabbed the lower mount and got it down some, but rides like a dream

i refuse to buy a new elka shock, they are just way to hyped and i see barely used elka shocks for other makes sell all the time for 3/8s the price of new

so, my question is whats the length of a stock rear blaster shock? and for you 250r shock guys, whats that length?

reason I ask is because I will buy an elka for another bike and have it revalved

i would measure myself, but i am not even close to my bike... im at college

Well I can tell you that the difference between stock and elka is night and day, Yes they are expensive, and I too wouldn't pay full price, but the handling I got from doing the front change over was amazing! I would definitly consider a rear if the price was right. If ya don't get an answer before this evening i will measure when I get home. I want to say 15.5" center eye to center eye- but don't hold me to that.

i have a 450r rear shock on my bike, perfect length, luv it !!!!
but have a trx250r on my sons, which i believe was 2 inches longer, made the bike sit way too high with the +4 swinger, like 6 inches higher at the grab bar than mine, i re-fabbed the lower mount and got it down some, but rides like a dream

how long is the 450 rear? and how did you get it to work?

the 400ex and 450r rear shock are very similar. (i think) ken oconner made a video on how to do the 400ex shock, you will want the bushings he sells.Blaster links
i just recently did a 250r rear shock and have to say i love it. it did raise the rear end probably 2-3 inches but is way softer and when you sit on it it goes back down to the stock height. my stock shock is not with me at the moment but if someone doesn't post the lenght before tomorrow i can have it then. i also just put the 250r on so i dont have the length of that one.

Well I can tell you that the difference between stock and elka is night and day, Yes they are expensive, and I too wouldn't pay full price, but the handling I got from doing the front change over was amazing! I would definitly consider a rear if the price was right. If ya don't get an answer before this evening i will measure when I get home. I want to say 15.5" center eye to center eye- but don't hold me to that.

omg yes, the elkas are amazing... i just bought a set of fronts (long travel)

houser a arms and elka suspension - Yamaha YFZ450 Forum : YFZ450, YFZ450R, YFZ450X Forums

i actually got those today, totally worth the 350 i paid for them

now im looking at a 450r rear.. but need to know the length of a stock blaster

Yes, stock rear length is 15.5 inches center eye to center eye, just measured-Bob

I thought the blaster stock shock leangth was 15.00 inches center eye to center eye open, and 13.00 inches center eye to center eye closed against the stop with out the stop squashed, with a 1 1/4" stop.. I dont know how much the stop squashes?????...:-/

You can get all the shock length of the WORKS SHOCKS at http://www.worksperformance.com/pdf/app_guide/atv.pdf

sweet, looks like the 450 rear will work out great

does anyone know if ken is still in business? i cant get his website to work.. i presume his 400ex kit will work for the 450r?

yes his 400ex bushings work for the 450r, and also for the 250r, click the link at the bottom of my sig, cause ken oconnor is in business, and alive and well, matter of fact he's sitting here right beside me in his kitchen, hahahahaa

yes his 400ex bushings work for the 450r, and also for the 250r, click the link at the bottom of my sig, cause ken oconnor is in business, and alive and well, matter of fact he's sitting here right beside me in his kitchen, hahahahaa

what your did your 450r shock come off of?

the one im looking at is a 07

where do you need bushings on the 250r? and does the 450r bolt up just like the 400ex?

did you change your mount in some way?? i didn't think yfz shocks worked in back w/o being really stiff and tall

ur right they dont work in the back, makes it sit waaaaaay to high up...not good going downhills lol.....but i made a lowering bracket which now gives it almost 12 inches of travel and stock ride height