R.I.P. KOR Top End.

Geez man that sux,, sorry to see that.. Being as it cracked right at the Boyesen port and what Blaaster said it makes sense that it could have tweaked a bit in now a weaker/thinner spot..

well i didnt see what a even coat of rtv would hurt but i guess ive learned my lesson
:eek:
I don't know if the RTV on the cylinder to cases caused youre problem. But if the amount used was as thick as the RTV on the intake gaskets maybe so. No fixing that cylinder, not worth the risk of warpage.

Reactions: motoman159
I don't know if the RTV on the cylinder to cases caused youre problem. But if the amount used was as thick as the RTV on the intake gaskets maybe so. No fixing that cylinder, not worth the risk of warpage.
it was not as thick as the intake. not at all. and there isnt as much as it looks like around the intake.

I hear all sorts of smart a$$ remarks about JBWeld, silicone and molding clay, but not a lot of help out of those folks. Lets get this straight, all these products are great in their proper applications. As a matter of fact my son's first Blaster had a 1" diameter hole punched through the bottom of his engine. We patched it up with JB Weld and I have had to listen to dozens of self proclaimed "experts" scoff about how it won't hold up. Well, that was about 4 years ago and that engine is still running strong, probably making nearly 40hp. JB Weld is a wonderful product if used in a proper application. It is a filler, not a structural product. Unfortunately JB Weld is not going to solve this problem. Likely only welding will.

Now, that said, our JB Weld patch was not a "gob it on and hope" endeavour. We disassembled the cases, cleaned and roughened them up and applied the epoxy with reinforcing fiberglass screen for a permanent repair. Even at that I have mis-used similar products as an emergency expedient just to get home. Ya do what-cha gotta do when options are few.

Is it worth welding? Well, how good does this cylinder run? $20-$50 of welding and a bit of machine or careful file work could have this cylinder running again. That area is stressed but not hugely. I would say it likely suffered death due to misadventure, either overtightened, or unsupported by the gasket, or floated on too much silicone, or overloaded from piston to head collision or too much cylinder pressure. You have to find the answer or the next cylinder will crack too.

Speaking about silicone RTV, there are not a lot of places to use it on our Blasters. It reacts to fuel and oil so it is not much good on the engine. It does seal the exhaust well, accepting it has to be re-applied from time to time. Most of the gaskets work better dry. If you do use Silicone RTV or other sealer, be careful of putting a bead on and letting it set up. The semi-hardened bead becomes a fulcrum that could have caused enough leverage to break the flange, as Blaaster suggested.

I hope I don't come off too harsh, but I find sarcastic humor very mindless and irritating. Any fool can be sarcastic and most usually are. Glad to see this thread Motoman, with good clear pictures. Lots to learn, thanks.

Steve

I hear all sorts of smart a$$ remarks about JBWeld, silicone and molding clay, but not a lot of help out of those folks. Lets get this straight, all these products are great in their proper applications. As a matter of fact my son's first Blaster had a 1" diameter hole punched through the bottom of his engine. We patched it up with JB Weld and I have had to listen to dozens of self proclaimed "experts" scoff about how it won't hold up. Well, that was about 4 years ago and that engine is still running strong, probably making nearly 40hp. JB Weld is a wonderful product if used in a proper application. It is a filler, not a structural product. Unfortunately JB Weld is not going to solve this problem. Likely only welding will.

Now, that said, our JB Weld patch was not a "gob it on and hope" endeavour. We disassembled the cases, cleaned and roughened them up and applied the epoxy with reinforcing fiberglass screen for a permanent repair. Even at that I have mis-used similar products as an emergency expedient just to get home. Ya do what-cha gotta do when options are few.

Is it worth welding? Well, how good does this cylinder run? $20-$50 of welding and a bit of machine or careful file work could have this cylinder running again. That area is stressed but not hugely. I would say it likely suffered death due to misadventure, either overtightened, or unsupported by the gasket, or floated on too much silicone, or overloaded from piston to head collision or too much cylinder pressure. You have to find the answer or the next cylinder will crack too.

Speaking about silicone RTV, there are not a lot of places to use it on our Blasters. It reacts to fuel and oil so it is not much good on the engine. It does seal the exhaust well, accepting it has to be re-applied from time to time. Most of the gaskets work better dry. If you do use Silicone RTV or other sealer, be careful of putting a bead on and letting it set up. The semi-hardened bead becomes a fulcrum that could have caused enough leverage to break the flange, as Blaaster suggested.

I hope I don't come off too harsh, but I find sarcastic humor very mindless and irritating. Any fool can be sarcastic and most usually are. Glad to see this thread Motoman, with good clear pictures. Lots to learn, thanks.

Steve
Don't get me wrong, I love jb weld, its, wonderful when you use it correctly. I've used it on multiple things just not a top end. I am going to try to fix it, the least I can do is try. We have the materials to do it, i can always re-do that boyesen port.

Don't get me wrong, I love jb weld, its, wonderful when you use it correctly. I've used it on multiple things just not a top end. I am going to try to fix it, the least I can do is try. We have the materials to do it, i can always re-do that boyesen port.
Really I was not joking about using JB weld , may work may not. The question is do you want to take the risk or not on the new parts installed. I would not.You got lucky it did not cause more damage than it did.

Reactions: motoman159