Quick plug fix

rich1

Jan 6, 2014
N.C./RTP
One of our guys in our group has a TM 250 Suzuki and came over to ride it on Sat. He said he has problems with it running and starting at times. I checked the spark gap with a spark gap tester ,good spark. It has the same style plug cap as the Blaster does,screw on cap. I pulled the plug , the cap was loose . I showed him an old Enduro trick where you take a pair of wire cutters and put a small crimp on the plug threads and re-install the cap.Simple cure, ran fine the rest of the day.
plug 002.JPG

its funny you mentioned that cuz i took mine out yesterday and the tip was loose lol. i hate when that happens. i also put a br8eg back in its place :):cool:

Why a br8eg it is supposed to be a b8es or a br8es.

i've run the eg plugs in the past......
ES is standard copper electrode, EG is fine wire nickel alloy center electrode.

edit:

NGK describe the various types of plug as follows:

ES types - standard spark plugs with copper cored centre electrodes for wide heat range. Copper's superior heat conductivity dissipates the heat of combustion away from the firing end, preventing hot spots that can lead to pre-ignition. Copper cored electrodes also mean that longer insulator noses can be used to protect against fouling.

EG types - these plugs feature a smaller diameter centre electrode tip made of conventional nickel alloy. The smaller diameter centre electrode means the voltage required to produce a spark is reduced. However as the tip is made of conventional nickel alloy the service life is reduced and these plugs are best used in applications where plugs are frequently changed.

EV types - these plugs have a smaller diameter centre electrode (1.0mm) than the EG types which is made of Gold Palladium Alloy. The smaller diameter centre electrode means the required voltage is even lower.

EVX types - these plugs have an even smaller centre electrode (0.8mm) than the V types, which is made of platinum. This combined with a taper cut ground electrode has a lower required voltage than the V types. This results in better ignitability along with improved starting, idle stability and anti-fouling performance.

EGV types - these plugs have a centre electrode of precious metal similar to the EV range. In addition, the insulator nose is an improved design to allow better gas flow around the firing end. The ground electrode is shorter and stronger, making the EGV range ideal for the most severe racing applications.

Last edited:
thanks for that info awk :) yeah i have tons of plugs,i just wanted to see if there was any difference although i know you really cant tell difference with plugs,but the thread is about the top comming loose which does happen fresh out of the box,so people beware to check them and or tighten them:)

The reason that the plug top is not tightened is for easy removal by those who have a spark plug cap that is designed to clip onto the threads of the tip of the centre electrode.

Before use the cap must be tightened if the larger grip plug cap is to be used.

Beware, some manufacturers make plugs with an unremovable top, which cannot be used with the fine grip plug cap.

[QUOTE="
Beware, some manufacturers make plugs with an unremovable top, which cannot be used with the fine grip plug cap.[/QUOTE]
I was running a 2 hr Enduro on a KTM and threw a different brand spare plug into my spares pack. At one point I got bogged down and fouled a plug. I removed the old plug and went install the new one , it had a cap that would not remove. End of story.