quick clutch adjustment ?

Uptown_Blaster

Mar 15, 2010
Philadelphia
I had to replace the bottom end on my blaster, and one of the things I had to replace was the clutch. I have never done it before so ofcourse I put everything in wrong including the cluth and all the plates. Once it was all back together, the clutch was really really soft and the bike would cut off in gear. I kno I need to adjust it but im not exactly sure how . . . i kno its something with the screw in the middle of the pressure plate but what exactly do i do. I kno i need to put the plates in at every 2 o clock and line the dot up on the pressure plate but I am lost as far as adjusting the center screw, thanks.(sorry to write so much)

Give me a minute. I posted this before let me find it- Are ya sure you have both push rods and ball bearing in there?

Ok found it!

1. loosen the outer center nut on the pressure plate almost all the way off
2. hold the clutch lever (the part that the cable hooks onto in the motor) and gently push it towards the front of your bike to relieve the spring tension
3. Now with a small phillips turn the center shaft in which ever direction it takes to align the pointer marks up as you are applying a little pressure to lever shouldn't take many turns you will feel it move. [usually clockwise]
4. When it is aligned, let the lever go it will go off the arrow due to spring tension that's ok. Keep your screw driver on there and take your wrench 10mm and tighten the center nut down snug while holding the center rod tight so it doesn't move.
5. Now take a socket and tighten it down good but becareful you dont overtighten it and snap it just a good snug tight is perfect. 5 ft lbs is what the manual says.
6. Put the cover back on, make sure your spring for the kick gear is in the hole when you do this or you'll be replacing some more parts down the road (experience talking here!).
7. attach the cable back up and adjust that just until you feel the springs on the pressure plate start to hit, then back off 1/8 turn and try that, ya may need to play with the adjustment on the handle bar lever as it warms up. Any questions just ask-Slick

heres my version.........................

here we go again, lucky im just copy and pastin this............... it took me 4 or 5 times to get this right, very frustrating, do all this with the cable disconnected at the hand lever so it doesnt effect the internal adjustment, open her up, again!!!, loosen the locknut and screw, back it out a little, (the adjustment shaft in the middle of the clutch basket) then where the cable connects to the motor lever,theres a notch that lines up, look on the engine lever for the little point and a mark on the case, line these up, make sure it doesnt move while adjusting, a freind would be good here, then move to the other side, tighten the rod in with a small phillips screwdriver till you feel it touch, then back it off 1/2 a turn,then tighten the locknut, <<<<definately use locktite here, mine almost came loose, and thats disaster, then reconnect the cable to the clutch lever, and adjust your slack i also did this with the wheels off the ground, so i could spin them with the clutch lever pulled in,to see if the wheels spun free, or if there was engine lag as i released it, before i put it all back together

so now I frustrated, I follow the steps you guys gave. I have a friend hold the lever forward as I turned the philips screw on the other side in the middle of the pressure plate. I felt it tough and I turned back out a little. I tightened the locknut. Here is the problem, I reattached the clutch cable and tried to move the bike in gear with the clutch pulled all the way in. I tried turning the phillips in some to tighten it even more but it still isnt disengaging the gears.
I NEED some guidance. what are my problems. thanks

did you line up the little pointer with the mark on the case while doing the rod adjustment, you made it sound like he held it forward??????
also read the second sentence in my post, about 4 or 5 times and being very frustrating, if you'da got it right the first time me and slick deserve more than rep points (you got any older sisters?????) hahaha jk man jk.
but give it a try again, you must, must, must make sure the pointer on the clutch lever is lined up with the mark on the cases, not pushed forward, then when pulled you should see the pressure plate move outwards an 1/8 to a 1/4 inch to free the plates up, also it will work more freely after the fluid gets the plates soaked again
try again and report back private uptown !!!!!!!

did you line up the little pointer with the mark on the case while doing the rod adjustment, you made it sound like he held it forward??????
also read the second sentence in my post, about 4 or 5 times and being very frustrating, if you'da got it right the first time me and slick deserve more than rep points (you got any older sisters?????) hahaha jk man jk.
but give it a try again, you must, must, must make sure the pointer on the clutch lever is lined up with the mark on the cases, not pushed forward, then when pulled you should see the pressure plate move outwards an 1/8 to a 1/4 inch to free the plates up, also it will work more freely after the fluid gets the plates soaked again
try again and report back private uptown !!!!!!!

I am trying again, from i see u would deserve my sister if i got it the first time. we were pushing the lever forward because I wasnt reading carefully and I am stupid. anyway I tried to line it up but i honestly am not sure which mark on the lever u mean. is it on the swivel part that connects to the clutch cable or on the actual part connected to the spring?? I tried to line it up several times but the clutch still wont engage. im going to keep trying tho! any more advice. thanks

here ya go dude

number 1 (point on clutch arm )needs to line up with number 2........2 is under the clutch arm, its a straight mark

ccccc.jpg

Freek ya beat me to it but here is couple more pics a tad clearer-

The clutch lever has an arrow shape that's one point mark and the case has another arrow shape these need to be lined up-

dsc01758.jpg

dsc01759.jpg

The pictures def helped but I am still havin no luck. I lined it up perfectly and turned the philips in until i got contact and backed it out a half turn, but the bike still wont move move if I put it in gear and pull the clutch in. Is it possible that the clutch needs to be warm or does that not matter.

I also there is a rod and then a ball in there. Could that first rod possibly be in wrong or is that not possible? I'm just tryna figure out why I cant get this.

Thanks

is the clutch basket realy worn? does it look like it has teath or is it smooth? if the cluch plates have cut big groves in the alluminum basket they could be snagging and not letting the clutch release..

is the clutch basket realy worn? does it look like it has teath or is it smooth? if the cluch plates have cut big groves in the alluminum basket they could be snagging and not letting the clutch release..

The clutch basket has some scratches on it from where my kickstarter came apart before but they dont seem major. When i hook the clutch cable up after i adjust the screw in the missle of the clutch, I pull the clutch in and I see the pressure plate backing off the basket and the friction plates a little bit, maybe about 1/4 of an inch. Thats why I am lost because from the outside everything looks good.

Should I be concernced that I have to turn the philips screw almost all the way in to make contact?? I am pretty sure the ball is in the there . . . .
thanks

I would make sure the ball is in there and no there is no one way to put the first rod in goes either way. If the ball is in there, take the clutch plates out of the basket put the bike in nuetral make sure it's neutral and try to spin the inner basket while holding the outer basket should spin freely. If it's binding, check the thickness of the large washer behind the basket mine was twice as thick as it was suppose to be and when i torqued the nut down it locked everything up! was a nightmare to find.-Slick

I would make sure the ball is in there and no there is no one way to put the first rod in goes either way. If the ball is in there, take the clutch plates out of the basket put the bike in nuetral make sure it's neutral and try to spin the inner basket while holding the outer basket should spin freely. If it's binding, check the thickness of the large washer behind the basket mine was twice as thick as it was suppose to be and when i torqued the nut down it locked everything up! was a nightmare to find.-Slick

I took the plates out and put the bike in neutral. I tried to spin the center while I held the basket and it wouldnt budge. Is this my problem? Im going to take the basket off tomorrow. what am I looking for and how do i fix this? I Really appreicate it?