Powder coated engine question

RRA397

Mar 16, 2020
I got an engine for $50. The guy took it apart almost a year ago to rebuild it. My question is he split the cases and powder coated them inside and out. Will that effect the engine with the inside being powder coated?

I got an engine for $50. The guy took it apart almost a year ago to rebuild it. My question is he split the cases and powder coated them inside and out. Will that effect the engine with the inside being powder coated?
That could be a problem. Were machined surfaces and bolt holes powder coated as well? You have any pics

Idk why you would ever powder coat the inside of the cases. If the bearing surfaces were coated it's useless now. Most of these surfaces have a .002 .005 tolerance in relation to the bearing. Powder coating is much thicker therefore the bearing will not fit. All of these surfaces will have to be cleaned completely to be able to use it.

I've never sand blasted aluminum before. If your going to I would be very cautious as to not take any material off other than the coating. Maybe try lightly taking some off the gently go over it with some 1k or 2k sand paper.